• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2007 International Rally Tours

Rpstk53 said:
[klasjm.smugmug.com/gallery/1543147[/URL]

Love the pics, particularly the old churches and the half round bridge shots, :thumb awesome!!
About the dog, did that cute dog travel in the tank bag???
just curious.
Bob

:dog The dog is a 9 pound Toy Poodle mix named Buddy. Buddy has been a tank bag dog for 10 years. :dog

The Church on the (It's Not Flat) hill is Holy Hill. Holy Hill is about 20 minutes from West Bend. Holy Hill ranks as the 30th highest point in the state.

This Picture is taken a couple of miles west of the Hill where Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive crosses State Highway 167.

101329328-L.jpg

When a Wisconsin Biker says they are going to Holy Hill, They not only mean they will be going up to the Historical Church, but that they will be riding the curvy Wisconsin Rustic Roads that network around the Church.

This Picture of 1880 Saint Mathew Church was taken about 4 miles south of Holy Hill on Saint Augustine Road, Rustic Road #33.

Click Here: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/scenic/rusticroad33.htm

108816169-L.jpg

Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive
The 115-mile KMS Drive traverses six Wisconsin counties. Its northern end is near Elkhart Lake in northern Sheboygan County and its southern end is at Whitewater Lake in southeastern Walworth County. Here is a PDF File that gives you directions for the Route: http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/kmscenicdrive/ScenicDriveDirections.pdf

Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive travels North and South of the Rally site. West Bend is in the middle of the KMS Drive. Before you leave the Rally site, you should find out where you want to get on the KMS Drive. You will need to go West, N/W or S/W to find the Drive. Once you are on the Drive, you will have the green & white Acorn KMS Drive signs marking your way.
77599213-L.jpg

Tour: Kettle Moraine Drive (South)

Follow the KMS Drive signs south thru the Kettle Moraine Sate Forest. A nice stop along the way is Delafields Hawk's Inn, which was a 1840 Stagecoach Stop & Old World Wisconsin, then on to Whitewater Lake which is the end of the Drive. At the end of KMS Drive you will have some options, one will have you riding the Lake Geneva and Southern Lakes area, the other would be heading north to Oconomowoc (Newport of the West) & Okauckee Lakes area. Another option area is East Troy, and when there visit Thoroughbred Motors and also the East Troy Electric Railroad Museum.

Last edited:
Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive North:

Follow the green & white Acorn KMS Drive signs. You will go thru New Fane and New Prospect (Don't Blink, Population 50, with one Church and one Tavern). You will go thru Dundee and Dundee Mountain. Also Long Lake & Mauthe Lake State Parks are located here you will also go thru tiny Glenbeulah & Greenbush and the Old Wade House which was a 1880 Stagecoach Stop.
77599129-L.jpg

Near The Wade House
Kettle Moraine Forest

79827872-L.jpg

Just off of KMS Drive, Beachwood Cheese Factory is looking forward to the BMW Crowd.
https://www.beechwoodcheese.com/store/comersus_dynamicIndex.asp

104042883-L.jpg

A few miles farther is World Famous Elkhart Lake. Elkhart Lake is an old resort Town.

99832261-L.jpg

Well known for its shops

96584690-L.jpg

And Gessert's Ice Cream :eat

96585178-L.jpg

And Also very famous for its Road America Road Race Track

77600670-L-1.jpg

And at Elkhart Lake, make sure you ride the 1950 track that uses the County Highway P and J for it's course.

96589475-L.jpg

77149642-L.jpg
77144543-L.jpg
77143908-L-1.jpg

101323926-L.jpg
77599487-L.jpg

The KMS Drive north start/finish at the Sheboygan (Broughton) Marsh Park. The Park has a great place to eat. :eat

After the KMS Drive head east to high 57 South and 30 minutes you will be back at the Rally. You also have the option to go to Sheboygan and check out the Beach & Harbor. After Sheboygan head down 43 to Port Washington & touring historic Port back to the Rally.
101323926-L.jpg

Last edited:
"The Cedarburg Mill was built by Cedarburg founders Frederick Hilgen and William Schroeder in 1855 at a cost of $22,000 and was considered one of the finest mills in the midwest. The lower walls are 32 inches thick. The design is Greek revival. The clearstory and monitor roof were popular with eastern mills at the time since they added light and ventilation. This building replaced an earlier one built by Hilgen and Schroeder in 1844. Note that the main part of the building is 5 stories high. The section to the left is of the same style as the main section, but is not as high. Cranes had not yet been invented in 1855, so an incline several blocks long was built to carry material to the upper levels. A donkey was used to pull the heavy stone blocks up this incline. A dam was built nearby to provide power for the mill. The mill continued to operate until just a few years ago, but now is the home of Landmark Supply Co., a seller of pet supplies and foods. Hilgen and Schroeder owned a mill store across the street from their mill. That store served as the retail outlet for the flour and feed produced by them." Ozaukee County Website

Historic Cedarburg, Wisconsin

76133039-L.jpg

76133509-L.jpg

76134202-L.jpg

112908117-L.jpg

Silver Creek Brewing Company is located in the Mill's lower level. You have to walk around and
behind the building to get to the brew pub and outdoor beer garden. The Beer Garden is next to the dam/waterfall.
113046898-L.jpg

113046306-L.jpg

Above: Turbine located in the Silver Creek Brewery

:beer Silver Creek Brewing Company is located (lower level, you have to walk around behind the building to get to the brew pub and outdoor beer garden)in the historic Cedarburg Mill, in the heart of Cedarburg, Wisconsin. This grist mill was built in 1855, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places :beer
113046657-L.jpg

compliments

santa - my compliments on the outstanding work you've done here.

i remember back in the early days of rally websites, back when we walked to school 20 miles barefoot in the snow, we used to scrape for one or two images of the local area for the upcoming rally. and if it had a bmw in the picture, it was gold!

great shots, thanks very much.

2007 tour

Hallo,
I've reading all the posts about the rally and i can't wait to be there and Wiscosin looks beautiful.I'm from the UK and i'll be shipping my bike across as part of a trans-Americas tour i will be doing.Here's hoping the weather will be a bit better than it is in the UK at the moment.:wave

Hallo,
I've reading all the posts about the rally and i can't wait to be there and Wiscosin looks beautiful.I'm from the UK and i'll be shipping my bike across as part of a trans-Americas tour i will be doing.Here's hoping the weather will be a bit better than it is in the UK at the moment.:wave

Hi Tim,

Let's hear more about your tour. What kind of motorbike and where are you touring. If you bring this up in the Clubhouse section, you may get some suggestions on what to see as you travel.

The UK made the 6 o'clock news, that is one heck of a wind storm.

Here is a link to an updated photo tour of the rally: area.http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=14771

Last edited:
Tour

Hi,
The main route for the tour is from Deadhorse,Prudhoe bay,Alaska down to Ushuaia the tip of South America.I'm shipping my bike in to Baltimore and riding up to Deadhorse then back down the west coast in to Central America.Then shipping it from Panama to Ecuador.The bike's a BMW R80G/S but its far from standard with lots of work done and 150K miles on the clock.
Tim :wave

Spawning Sturgeon

Spring 2007
West of Green Bay
New London, Wisconsin

Sturgeon Spawn
It's believed lake sturgeon appeared about 100 Million years ago.

Once reaching age 25, sturgeon spawn every four to five years.

145678604-L.jpg

145675190-L.jpg

145676289-L.jpg

146399888-L.jpg

Last edited:
Union Star Cheese, Fremont, WI

Beginning operation in 1911, Union Star Cheese Factory in (Zittau) Fremont Wisconsin, has been owned and operated by the Metzig family for three generations. My favorite is their Flavored Muenster Vegetable.
Store hours: Monday - Saturday 7:00-5:00 Sunday 10:30 - 5:00, making cheese six days a week on Monday thru Saturday, starting at 4:30AM.
Union Star produces fine cheeses including:

* Cheddar cheese and cheese curds on Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
* Mozzarella string cheese- Wednesdays
* Flavored Muensters and Colby - Tuesdays

145690943-L.jpg

145691178-L.jpg

145692600-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back