• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fixing a BMW tank bag

mgordon

Strange thing...i had a multivario bag shipped to me, in great condition. However, it was packed in styro peanuts, and the foam on the bottom of the bag disintegrated (heat/condensation?) like chocolate cake.

I did my best to scrape it all off, but now there are some holes/tears in the vinyl and tons of old glue. Am i better off taking it to get a new piece stitched in with foam, at an upholstery place? Or can i just patch it and glue a new piece of close-cell foam in place? I would think glue-glue isn't a good bond. Thanks

Go to an industrial rubber supply house and buy some closed cell neoprene foam, 1" thickness is good. Get some Weldwood (Home Depot) contact cement, and a cheap throw a way brush.
The foam will cut very easily with an electric carving knife, just don't let the wife catch you.
Cut the foam to fit, coat both the bottom of the tankbag and the side of the foam that will go the the bag with the contact cement. Let both pieces dry to the point they are just barely tacky, then press them together. Dont worry about the old glue, if you couldn't remove it with scraping, it won't be an issue.

Back