• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

First-Aid Kits

I used to carry an Aerostich kit back when I rode a K100. Two years ago I used it helping someone and the ambulance crew scooped it up with the injured party's personal effects. I have not replaced it because The BatBike has no place to carry it unless I want to leave the toolkit at home.

The_Veg said:
I used to carry an Aerostich kit back when I rode a K100. Two years ago I used it helping someone and the ambulance crew scooped it up with the injured party's personal effects. I have not replaced it because The BatBike has no place to carry it unless I want to leave the toolkit at home.

When I perform my canisterectomy, I'm going to convert it into a storage place instead of removing it. Likewise if I ever change the exhaust on the 650 I can carry things like a FAK in the dummy pipe. But mostly I'll just use my knife and cut "their" clothes up into field dressings. (I sure hope it's not my clothes I'm cutting up, but I have had to do that before :doh )

Yup

There is a little parcel tray under the seat cowl perfect for a kit on my 84 RS. Thankfully I have never needed to pull out the FAK, but I keep it none the less. I have added to it a few important items. I got some bee sting ampules, some spare ear plugs and a $100 bill. Emergency supplies come in many shapes and sizes.
:blah

marK11LT said:
I got a small one

We all feel your pain. :stick :bolt :rofl

On a seriuos note, I carry a fairly big kit from West Marine and added extra burn packs to it as that is relevant to us riders. I hope never to have to use it other than a band aid but it is there if needed.

The Wilderness First Responder course is a good one for motorcycling in remote areas. It does take a week and cost a bit, but it is oriented to cases where you can't just call an ambulance and wait 10 minutes for it to arrive. After a class like that you will have a good idea of what sort of first aid kit you will want to have with you. I took the class, and thought it was definitely worthwhile, but fortunately have not had to use the knowledge yet.

http://www.wildmed.com/Courses/WFR_syllabus.htm

When I perform my canisterectomy, I'm going to convert it into a storage place instead of removing it. Likewise if I ever change the exhaust on the 650 I can carry things like a FAK in the dummy pipe.
If my bike only had a cannister to convert...it's an Airhead with NO hidden storage compartments other than the tool tray...there's a nice little practiucally useless (due to the eay it's shaped) cargo-rack where a snakry tail-cowl could go (inside the tail-cowl was where the FAK lived on my poor old K100).
But there is one option I'm still considering: the battery tray. Early on I switched to a gel battery that is narrower than the stock lead-acid unit. This made the stock hold-down straps useless until I found something to take up that space...currently an empty plastic box I found on the roadside. But it's divided into a lot of tiny compartments so it would be impractical to house a FAK. Once I find (or have somebody make) a single-space box the right size I should be in business, but I'm bothered by how much I'll have to dig to get to it when someone may be in dire need of it (this could be a several-minutes job if I have the H2W bag strapped onto the back seat). But I guess that's still better than not having one.

rgvilla said:
EMS are usually not far away when called for but if someone is not breathing or has arterial bleeding you might just be able to save them prior to EMS arriving.

Key word. In VT this summer when me and my sister had to do CPR on that kid it was 30 min before EMS got there and had been called at least 5 min prior to us rendering aid. Unfortunately for Benjamin Willet, the folks who called EMS didn't know how or weren't comfortable attempting to render aid.

Target has a nice FAK for about 30 bucks. I would recommend repackaging it in a more motorcycle friendly manner.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...489024-2045746?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000A3QLBY

Click on the view larger image to see the contents. It has some things that you might not want to carry but is a really good kit. You never know where you will be and you might be the biggest difference in whether or not someone lives or dies.

Brian

read this @ Target site

"$10 of every kit purchased through 8/31/2006 supports the American Red Cross " That' kinda nice.
Charles

Belquar said:
Key word. In VT this summer when me and my sister had to do CPR on that kid it was 30 min before EMS got there and had been called at least 5 min prior to us rendering aid. Unfortunately for Benjamin Willet, the folks who called EMS didn't know how or weren't comfortable attempting to render aid.

Target has a nice FAK for about 30 bucks. I would recommend repackaging it in a more motorcycle friendly manner.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...489024-2045746?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000A3QLBY

Click on the view larger image to see the contents. It has some things that you might not want to carry but is a really good kit. You never know where you will be and you might be the biggest difference in whether or not someone lives or dies.

Brian

The_Veg said:
If my bike only had a cannister to convert...it's an Airhead with NO hidden storage compartments other than the tool tray...

Did BMW get rid of the "hidden" storage compartment with the small door on the front of the seat, on the later models? Mine was so "hidden" (and the factory service manual was damaged) that it took me several months to find it! Originally designed for the factory first aid kit. There is enough room in there for my newer first aid kit, plus a spare headlight bulb.

Yes Josh, they got rid of it. Probably a good thing from what I've heard people say about how that compartment affected the comfort of the seat.

I went with the Aerostich one. I have used it a few times, mainly for small stuff like a burn... seems to work well. Plus it comes with duct tape.

I have not carried on on my bke. Made me realize how dumb that is tonight looking at another thread.

I have a good expedition kit I built, but too big to carry. I have a back packer mini kit, along with elastic stretch wrap around "bandage", an army field surgery kit $14 surplus, and a packet of "blot clotting" powder as I take blood thinners.

It is going on my bike or I will assemble another. Just dumb not to carry one.

I like to support "fellow riders" and I just received this kit from "JKam", one of the "light and fast" series... great packaging with everything one would need... The enclosed book alone "A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine" by Eric A. Weiss, MD is worth its price... with over 60 illustrations and 50 improvised techniques... My thought is that it should be a "standard" item with every bike purchase!!! Think of how many lives it would save... and without much noise... :D
NO... I do not work for Jay!!!... I just think it is a great product!

https://www.shop.safetykitsplus.com/categoryNavigationDocument.hg?categoryId=11

Be well... Ara

94065618-Ti.jpg

tgf429 said:
How many people carry a first-aid kit on their bikes.

When touring in Europe, all the time as it is LAW. On this side of the pond, I only carry one when on multi day trips...although that logic doesn't really make sense.

tgf429 said:
Is it better to buy one or make one up yourself?

Probably has already been mentioned...

Start off by buying one with numerous compartments. I usually toss the contents (use them at home) and pack it with high quality items. Items such as: 3M tape that leaves no residue, high quality band aids that leave no residue, 2" x 2" gauze pads, Polysporin ointment, etc.

I also pack pills in numerous small 1" x 2" zip-lock bags: headache/pain, colds/stuffy nose, Imodium, Gravol, sore throat, muscle relaxants. I also carry nasal spray.

And remember...First Aid kit contents have to be checked and replaced regularly.

Back