• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mirrors for an R1150RT

CharlieAllnutt

I'd like to add mirrors to my '04 RT. So far I've had recommendations for 1100GS mirrors and 1200GT mirrors. Anyone care to make comments or recommendations. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Any pictures of the transplanted GS mirrors on an RT? Do they fit into the fairing without looking sad? I find my right-side mirrirs on my 2001 RT are just about useless because the brake cylinder obscures the view.

There are two popular add ons for the mirrors on the RT. The GS route is easy since they bolt on in seconds, though they still look somewhat like Mickey Mouse ears on a RT. The other are the mirrors from the K1200RS. These are a little more substantial with the arms being aerodynamic and stronger for high speed plus the mirrors are more rectangular.

There is one extra step to mounting the RS mirrors in that the base of the left RS mirror has to have a notch cut out to allow your idle lever to still travel up for fast idle. A dremel tool will notch it out in seconds.

These mirrors help if you have your RT loaded with extra bags that stick out blocking your view. Both styles will still vibrate giving you a slightly blurry image while your stock mirrors are quite stable showing a clear image. The other thing you can do is turn your add on mirrors out more and they act like your side mirrors on your car to help cover your blind spots. Still never a substitute for a head check before changing lanes, but they help.

Back