• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

german high bars r1100s

RIDE4YOU

i have ordered high bars for my r1100s and they are coming from germany thru a s cycle.com .has anybody bought a set of these? no telling when i will get them.any reply would be welcome thanks wayne 2004 r1100s.

Got them.

What do you want to know? Are you going to install them? You got the factory ones, right?

hey dave hows it going?do the bars come back twords you alittle ?im sure they come up as well but how much?356.00 american dollars so i assume they are factory with the price.just listed my shopping list in a reply to"buying a 1100s"post above this one .i did order the lower pegs i think i heard you mention you had them as well.any tips would be appriciated.thanks wayne

Here's how they look from the side. They're a good inch and a half higher than the low ones.
1070344-M.jpg

This is a little blurry and I'm too lazy to go back out there.
1070343-M-1.jpg

When you swap the bars out, you need to take the circlip off the top of the leg stanchions. You can see it on the top of the legs. You'll also need to take the bodywork off and slide the tank back so you can get at the heated grip connectors.
1070345-M.jpg

The heated grips will plug into a gang connector like this one. You'll need to pop the leads out of the connector so you can get the wire back up through the ends of the bars.
1022458-M.jpg

Use a paper clip to release the wires. Pull easily on them, they're tiny.
1022461-M.jpg

1022465-M.jpg

The grips have screws hidden on them. They're not glued to the bars. You unscrew them and slide them off the left side. If you're careful, you can slide the throttle side off with the cluster.
1022467-M.jpg

The switchgear is the same as the stuff here and it comes apart into two pieces. There's a screw hiding in the hole where the mirrors would go, along with a couple underneath. I think there's two philips screws on teh bottom, underneath the cover. The clusters have about a million little screws.
1022473-M.jpg

There's an allen head screw that clamps the cluster to the bar. If you take the bolt all the way out, a nut will fall out of the cluster. Be ready to catch it. It lives in a little slot and is captured by the housing.

1022472-M.jpg

Careful with the wires.
1022475-M.jpg

Throttle side:
1022477-M.jpg

1022478-M.jpg

1022481-M.jpg

More pictures here:

YOU THE MAN

what a slide show thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i didn"t relize how much was involved.i feel more confident after all your help and time you spent taking pictures.it doesn't look like a 5 minute job huh? again i appreciate your help.i hope the lower foot peg job is easyer !i will let you know how it goes if they ever come in.thanks again Wayne@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ps if you have any heating or air conditioning problems maybe i can return the favor!

Did you buy the Suburban Machinery kit? If so, let me know and I can put some pictures up for you. That's what I have on mine.

suburban machine

hey dave howsit.i just got my bars in but something doesnt look right.the have no holes to run wires for heated grips however they did send wire ties.i did order suburban peg kit,but have not received them yet. i will study your pictures more to see what steps to follow.dont take your pegs off your bike to make pictures f or me!!!!!!!however if you already have them that would be great.thanks for the help wayne/

Re: suburban machine

airbiz said:
hey dave howsit.i just got my bars in but something doesnt look right.the have no holes to run wires for heated grips however they did send wire ties.i did order suburban peg kit,but have not received them yet. i will study your pictures more to see what steps to follow.dont take your pegs off your bike to make pictures f or me!!!!!!!however if you already have them that would be great.thanks for the help wayne/

Do they have a hole on the underside somewhere that allows the wires to come out? They have the notches on the ends of the bars, right?

I'll just take pictures of the SM lowering kit. You have to relocate the master cylinder and the diagram they give you isn't real clear.

holes found

hey dave just looked it over again and i found them right were they are supose to be. i was looking at the stock bars and thought the hole would be in the same location .LIFE is good!!!!!!!

the pictures of the insallation that you posted ,are they on a r1100s? my bars mount to the shocks ,the pictures look like the are other style.i imagin the installation is basically the same though.do i need to take the faring off? then the tank to get to the plug and wires?

The installation pictures were of an R1150R, but the switch gear is the same.

You will need to slide the tank back to get to the connector. The bodywork has screws under the seat, along the top of the turn signal housing and in two diabolical locations underneat.

One is basically on the back of the roundel or so. It's down there a ways, underneath. You can reach it from the front wheel opening. The others are on the front edge, where the side panels join the center part of the fairing (the part that holds the headlight). If you can't find them, let me know. The tank is held on with a big bolt on the side, just undo the bolt (can't remember if it's on both sides) and slide the tank back.

Back