• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wisconsin 2007: Dairy Cattle ÔÇô a riders guide

mika

Still Wondering
In the rest of the nation they may be cows. In Wisconsin they are dairy cattle. Here is a riderÔÇÖs guide to the various breeds you see along and at times on the road.
Dairy cows come in different sizes and shapes. Those having the same size, shape, color, temperament, and abilities are classed by breed. The major US dairy breeds are Ayrshire, Brown Swiss, Guernsey, Holstein, Jersey, and Milking Shorthorn. The largest dairy breed in terms of number of cows is the Holstein.

Ayrshire

Ayrshires came to the United States from the County of Ayr in Scotland in 1822. Their color varies from light to deep cherry red, mahogany, brown, or a combination of these colors with white. Some are all white. They weigh 1,200 pounds when mature.

Attachments

• dairy_cows_ayrshire.jpeg
    dairy_cows_ayrshire.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 335
Brown Swiss

Brown Swiss came to the United States from Switzerland in 1869. They are solid brown varying from very light to dark. They weigh 1,500 pounds when mature.

Attachments

• dairy_cows_brownswiss.jpeg
    dairy_cows_brownswiss.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 331
Guernsey

Guernseys came to the United States from the Isle of Guernsey, an island in the English Channel off the coast of France in 1831. Their color is a shade of fawn with white markings. They weigh 1,150 pounds when mature. Their milk is a distinctive golden color.

Attachments

• dairy_cows_guernesey.jpeg
    dairy_cows_guernesey.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 330
Holstein

Holsteins came to the United States from Holland in 1621. They are black and white. They weigh 1,500 pounds when mature. They produce the most milk on average

Attachments

• dairy_cows_holstein.jpeg
    dairy_cows_holstein.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 327
Jersey

Jerseys came to the United States from the Isle of Jersey, another of the islands in the English Channel. They are fawn in color and may have white markings. They weigh 900 pounds when mature. They are the smallest of the dairy breeds but produce milk with the highest protein and fat content.

Attachments

• dairy_cows_jersey.jpeg
    dairy_cows_jersey.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 327
Milking Shorthorn

The Milking Shorthorn originated in Northeastern England and arrived in the United States in 1783. Milking Shorthorn cattle are red or white or any combination. A mature cow usually weighs about 1400 pounds..

Attachments

• dairy_cows_shorthorn.jpeg
    dairy_cows_shorthorn.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 326
Milage will vary with size and feed

Attachments

• girls_riding_cows1.jpg
    girls_riding_cows1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 329
robnye said:
You must have been really bored.
:bolt

not really dairy farms were great fun as kids
riding cows, jumping out of hay lofts, hiding in the corn

it wasn't until we got we got older that we got got recruited to help on them....

There are small hurds of galloway and belted galloway sprinkled through the state. Here is a link to one such operation.

Attachments

• Fall%20Belties%202.jpeg
    Fall%20Belties%202.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 285
The University of Wisconsin is running a research project in SW Wisconsin with Highlands. They will happily eat invasive weeds etc and thrive doing it. This is an attempt to control invading plants without chemicals.

Attachments

• Cows_scottish_highland01.jpeg
    Cows_scottish_highland01.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 187
Garlic ginseng and Canadian thistle I believe. Darn Canadians.

If they are real Wisconsin Cows they could go into overtime at Lambeau in the middle of a snow storm.

Tofu...ask me no questions and I tell you no lies...

Highland cattle

Like most things Scottish, they are hardy, ornery, will eat anything and don't suffer fools. Definitiely not Purina cake eaters!!!

Breeze

PS I've tipped a few dairy cows in my day. lol.

Spotted Cows are my favorite

You forgot to mention one of my favorite herds, the New Glarius Spotted Cow. :drink I just wish we could get them in Indiana.

marK11LT said:
not really dairy farms were great fun as kids
riding cows, jumping out of hay lofts, hiding in the corn

it wasn't until we got we got older that we got got recruited to help on them....
I've heard that they can be tipped if you catch them sleeping. Wisconsin college students have been know to do this to avoid the boredom.

Back