• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS Mounting/Installation Ideas for a 1200GS?

jaschar

I want a GPS unit for my GS, but I haven't decided how best to mount it. I'm looking for recommendations and - if possible - pics to help me make a decision.

At this time, I'd like to mount a Garmin 276C since it'll save me some $$ and I like it's features (I've seen it on a different bike). But which bracket/location to use, I'm not sure. My luck, I'll buy a bracket, and the unit will block my view of the odometer or tach. I'm also interested in any wiring instructions you might have. Thanks.

Motorrad Concepts GPS Mount

We make this:

http://www.motorradconcepts.com/bmwr1200gs.htm#gps4garmin

Any type of garmin GPSR will fit and as it's fully adjustable you can optimise it's position taking into account screen position, rider height etc.

With regard to power, we recommend the power outlet within the bikes wiring loom (just near the headstock & usually wrapped in fabric loom tape.

This requires the male power take off plug (only available from Motorrad Concepts) to be soldered to the end of your Garmin power cable.

When connected your GPSR will received switched power via the ignition/CanBus system.

We manufacture bespoke GPS power cables for all makes of GPSR using this BMW plug & such use is (a) approved by BMW and (b) will not invalidate the BMW Motorrad warranty.

Further enquiries may be directed to:

sales@motorradconcepts.com

Cheers

Dutch

GPS mount

I had a Garmin 2610 when I bought my 1200GS, so I went down to my BMW dealer and the parts guy, did his magic and found the mount they use for the BMW navigator II. I'll be putting it on tomorrow.

I own the 276C and will say it's really super . You'll love it! I'm 95% sure the 276C comes with it's own mount since Garmin considers it a marine unit. It's a bracket that tilts and swivels though mine stays locked down plus it has that quick release back.

That mount allows it to be screwed down to a shelf which works well for an RT, however the GS poses some different issues. Burnzilla has it right. GPS City is the way to go for price, selection, and service.

One other thing to consider is that Garmin makes the exact same unit as the model 376C. It's identical from the outside, however the 376C has satellite weather overlaid over your screen so you can see where the storms are, plus the 376C also has built in XM satellite radio as well. Both require monthy subscriptions to those services.

I went with a Migsel mount for my 1200GS.

After looking around for a few weeks, I found that the Migsel mount met my requirements.

The Migsal mount puts the GPS in my preferred location, over the gages, and looks a lot better than the full Ram handle bar mount, which is problematic on the GS's tapering bars anyway (you'll still need the Ram arm and cradle for use with the Migsal mount).

I also considered the Tourtech mount, but I don't want to look down that low, or mess with my handle bars. It also looks like the Tourtech sits between me and my key. I don't need another reason to forget my key!.

The found the Migsal mount here: Migsel @ Adventurer Workshop

P.S. I don't have any interest in Migsal or their suppliers, and road testing my choice is still pending. But I'm optimistic.

Back