• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Canyon Dancer Bar Harness

phil

Anyone ever used one of these??? My tupperwear is not letting me tie down the front like I would like to...I have installed a wheel chock in the back of my truck..Is it necessary to have to compress the front forks??? The back is no problem to tie down.I thought of using the front forks(middle..just above the fork seals). Then the forks would not be compressed. Sorry to ask...Just wouldnt want my new bike to fall out of my truck...

Is there a brace on the fork legs? Use soft ties at that point, or on each frok tube just above the sliders, and pull the front wheel securely into your wheel chock. a few straps to secure the rear of the bike and you're done. It's not good to compress the suspension from the handlebars.

Bobmws said:
Is there a brace on the fork legs? Use soft ties at that point, or on each frok tube just above the sliders, and pull the front wheel securely into your wheel chock. a few straps to secure the rear of the bike and you're done. It's not good to compress the suspension from the handlebars.

Thanks...The 650GS does have a fork brace. That is how I will tie it down.

Simply put one hook on each side of the handlebar between the bar itself and the cross brace. If you can't attach the other end far enough out to clear the body work, put a piece of leather (first choice:chamois) or soft cotton cloth between the strap and the paint. No need to strap in anywhere else. Let the suspension work for you, but don't strap it down so tight you blow a fork seal.

On my F, I try to set the stap at the same angle as the forks, that way it clears the body work right behind the turn signal.

IMHO, tying a bike down by the fork legs is a great way to bend a tube, brace or not. YOur pulling OUT as much as you are pulling DOWN and the suspension is worthless.

Lastly, because the suspension is working for you, tape the hooks top and bottom so they can't come loose over a bump.

I've used a Canyon Dancer on several bikes without damaging anything.

But:

Like so many F650GS/Dakars mine has handguards which make it a PITA to use the CD. You have to remove the bar-end weights to install it and then put everything back together, something I didn't realize until I had the bike up on it's trailer the first time. I use soft ties now.

BMW puts a dab of locktite on the bolts holding those weights on, at $36.00 a piece to replace them when they fall off (don't ask me how I know this) you'll want to do the same.

Steve

flash412 said:
I believe that if you pay attention and install the Canyon Dancer so that it does not STRESS any switches or heated grips it works fine. But if you install it carelessly, there is a possibility to damage things. It does require slightly more care to install than a regular tie down with a hook on each end.

What Flash said. I've been using them for years.

And my vote is with Kurt, especially if your bars are real bars and not clip ons. I've seen the bars rotate in the clamps and the bike leaned over with the release of tension.

Montana said:
And my vote is with Kurt, especially if your bars are real bars and not clip ons. I've seen the bars rotate in the clamps and the bike leaned over with the release of tension.

Ditto. Almost lost a bike when the bars rotated and one clamp came off.

Cycle Cynch

I just purchased a Cycle Synch. I figure I can use the Canyon Dancer on my 75/5 not many switches and no heated grips to hurt. Anyone ever used the Cycle Synch???
Phil

I agree with Bob Weiss on the tie off points. I learned my lesson about six years ago and used a Canyon Dancer on a Ducati Monster (regular bars) in an enclosed trailer and upon checking in on the bike at a rest stop, found the bars rotated and the bike fell over against a V11 Sport (thank goodness no damage). Canyon Dancers are fine for bikes with clip ons but, in my humble opinion, do not use them on bikes with traditional handle bars.

Back