• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1100RS tires

SteveKarma

I need a recommendation for replacement tires for my K1100RS.

Presently have Metzler MEZ4's which I have worn more on the center section of the tread, this makes for very strange handling.

About 30% is commute and the rest back roads / sport touring.

Thanks.

Tires for K1100RS

I also have a K1100RS ('95) and it came with Bridgestones. After that I tried two sets of MEZ4's. I didn't like the mileage I got on either brand.
A dealer suggested Dunlop D205's for better mileage. They have been superceded by D220's which I have now and it looks like they will give me the best mileage so far.
I think they all handled fine.

Novato? Jeez. I'm just down here off of Lucas Valley Road! We should have an MOA Forum breakfast out at one of the W. Marin bakeries.

Anyway, I can relate some experiences with D220s.

I used up a rear tire in 6K miles riding to WV and back. The front is still in great shape and looks like it'll go about 10K before it gives up. I hung another 220 on the back and will ride them until they give up.

I rode home from San Mateo last Saturday in the pouring rain and I was impressed with how they stuck in the wet.

I'm happy enough to buy another set after a long history of riding on 205s.

The Dunlops are ok if you are going to be riding in warm weather. I've seen some problems with them in cool to cold weather. I liked the overall combination of the Bridgestone 010 in front and the 020 in the rear. Now I'm trying the Pilot Sport in front with the Pilot Road in the rear.

I'm talking about liking the handling, stopping etc. I think that anyone who tries to solicit comments about tire mileage from other riders gets what he or she deserves. :rolleyes :rolleyes

The Dunlops are ok if you are going to be riding in warm weather. I've seen some problems with them in cool to cold weather. I liked the overall combination of the Bridgestone 010 in front and the 020 in the rear. Now I'm trying the Pilot Sport in front with the Pilot Road in the rear.

I'm talking about liking the handling, stopping etc. I think that anyone who tries to solicit comments about tire mileage from other riders gets what he or she deserves. :rolleyes :rolleyes

Back