• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mirror Cables

EBUEKER

Does anyone know where I can purchase the stainless cables that attach to the mirrors on an R1200RT?

I was riding yesterday when the left mirror flew off and hit the road. Luckily I was on a country road and was able to recover the mirror which had minor damage.

Thanks for any info.

Mirrior Cables

You can make them with steel fishing leaders, not expensive and available at any decent tackle shop.
There was a post a while back with pictures, does anybody know where to find it?

ltljohn said:
You can make them with steel fishing leaders, not expensive and available at any decent tackle shop.
There was a post a while back with pictures, does anybody know where to find it?

DUH! Why didn't I think of that. Had some, problem solved. Not pretty, but as long as it works.

Thanks

I plan to use coated wire cable. Before I go yanking on things, how do you remove the mirrors on a R1150RT?

kurt1305 said:
I plan to use coated wire cable. Before I go yanking on things, how do you remove the mirrors on a R1150RT?

Support the mirror with one hand (you don't want it just flying off) and give it a good, hard, sharp thump on the lower outer corner.

I use cable ties (zip ties to the non-computer geeks). :stick

I bought 45 pound test, coated braided stainess fishing leaders at a certain nationwide variety store, pack of six for less than $2.00. Loop through hole in rear of mirror and through slot in housing and clip together.

cable ties

I used cable ties on mine also. The left hand mirror popped off twice on the slab at 70+ and broke the ties both times. They did slow it down enough that I was able to catch it both times, but I did not want to try my luck the third time. My LT mirrors now have stainless steel cables. (The cable ties were the heavy duty type.)

Bass Pro has Titanium leader line. I think I got about 12 ea in one package for $3.00 complete with swivels.

Back