• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RT Usable Fuel Capacity

Mr. Frank

I'd be interested in hearing the most fuel anyone has put in an R1150RT stopping at the bottom of the filler tube.

Is it the same tank at the 1100RT? I put 7.142 gallons into my R1100RT one time......rode 70 miles with the low fuel light on. :clap

Fuel on an r1150rt

Last trip, the fuel light came on at about 255 miles. Ended up putting in about 5.6 gallons, so I am figuring about 1 gallon left in the tank based on the books. Will put it to the test on Friday. Traveling 2 up from Central KY to Montgomery, Al.

2004 R1150RT with 34000 miles.
I did a 2 up ride on the weekend, 50% highway at average speed of 65 to 70 mph and 50% on country roads with stops and lights, starting with the tank full to the underside of the lip. I did 255 miles when the last bar disappeared and the light came on, I filled the tank
at 290 miles with 24.5 litres (6.47 us gal.) That works out to 5.25 ltr/100 km or 44.8 mpg us.
The specs say 6.66 us gallons max capacity tank.
I've gone as far as 280 miles before the light came on...
Not sure how much more fuel would fit in the tank if I had tried to add more. After it reaches the lip it takes forever to fill and let it settle in small squirts.
I have not drilled a hole in the filler neck like some suggest. Thought about it but 290 miles between fillups is probably good enough.

cheers

Louie
1971 R60/5, 1977 R100RS, 1981 R100CS, 2004 R1150RT,

the going rate is 6.6 gallons. And I've drained mine a few times and refilled with exactly that amount.

Back