• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wisconsin 2007: The Bratwurst Thread

patcarol said:
In Rogers City, Michigan, there is a meat market named Plath's. They have the best smoked bratwurst in the world. Along with the brats, Paper Maker Pilsner from the new brewery in Alpena, Michigan makes a superb combination.
These brats are of such high quality that they do not cause any heartburn.

Take Care & Ride Safe
Pat Carol

Great... you're in charge of bringing the brats. I think the Wisconsin Micro Breweries can provide an acceptable beer. :drink

M1ka said:
Saint Paul Pioneer Press Runs a Brat Test

Posted on Thu, Aug. 17, 2006

Battle of the brats
Wisconsin maker wins our taste test
BY KATHIE JENKINS
Restaurant Critic

Ranking: 4th
Brand name: R.J. Meats
Store: R.J. Meats
1101 Coulee Road, Hudson, Wis.; 1-715-386-9291
Price per pound: $3.69
Comments: "Good snap." "Real people-pleaser." "Herb flavor."

good meat market

Speaking of The Brewers

Sue Rihn-Manke said:
2) Hmmmm........... probably depends on if the Brewers are in town. We'll have to work on that.
:eat

Sue:

If The Brewers are in town during the Rally, what would the chances be of getting a group (maybe a large group) of us to go to a game??? Big group discount on tickets?? How far is the staduim from the Rally site? Might be something to think about. :lurk

Tim

Go to Hoff's in Brownsville, WI. The Special brat of the week go about $2.50 a pound (usually 4 brats per pound). The regular 9 flavors run about $1.60 a pound. The apple cinnamon brats (try them for breakfast) are tremendous. The 9 regular flavors are: Plain, onion, garlic, jalapeno, Polish, BBQ, potato, Italian, and cajun. Many are award winners and made fresh daily. Yummy!!!

Miller Park is about 45 min to an hour from the rally site. Hwy 45 to 41 is direct but all super slab

I would recommend that if we do a group outing, to a game, perhaps a bus shuttle? I have taken a motorcycle to sports events, albeit it college and minor league, but it was a bigger hassle then it was worth. Also there is something to be said for not having to worry about having fun at the game and then riding....

tpr3cats3 said:
Sue:

If The Brewers are in town during the Rally, what would the chances be of getting a group (maybe a large group) of us to go to a game??? Big group discount on tickets?? How far is the staduim from the Rally site? Might be something to think about. :lurk

Tim

Already checked into it. The stadium is about 20 miles south of the rally site. We won't know the schedule until this winter. Our rally comes precariously close to the All Star Break.... I am watching the Brewer's schedule and report when I know more.

If we can make it happen, there would probably be a bus offered, in case anyone chooses to enjoy a Miller or a Lienenkugal (Mmmm... Leinie's Red) while at "Miller Park"

:drink :beer

That sounds great. It would be even better if there is inner leauge games being played. It would be great to see the Brewers vs. Tigers. It always nice to see the Tigers spank the Brewers. :dance

Never fails... let someone from Michigan post on a thread and it brings all posting on that particular thread to a screaming halt. :doh

Not to a screaming halt, just simmering while we had greasie hads from eating all those brats!

Ran across a variation to the traditional beer bath/sauce for poaching and holding brats.

For 10 brats:
2-14.5 ounce cans stewed tomatoes
2 bottles or cans beer
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Mix ingredients and bring to a simmer. Hold grilled brats in sauce until ready to eat. Do not let sauce boil.

Try dressing your brat with this sauce instead of ketchup. Add a bit of brown mustard, if you wish.

I have not tried the stewed tomatoes as part of the sauce before. The brown sugar would sweeten the sauce also. What other variations have people used?

M1ka said:
Not to a screaming halt, just simmering while we had greasie hads from eating all those brats!

Ran across a variation to the traditional beer bath/sauce for poaching and holding brats.

For 10 brats:
2-14.5 ounce cans stewed tomatoes
2 bottles or cans beer
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Mix ingredients and bring to a simmer. Hold grilled brats in sauce until ready to eat. Do not let sauce boil.

Try dressing your brat with this sauce instead of ketchup. Add a bit of brown mustard, if you wish.

I have not tried the stewed tomatoes as part of the sauce before. The brown sugar would sweeten the sauce also. What other variations have people used?

that sauce sounds good

Johnsonville Brats
Johnsonville, WI
Near Elkhart Lake

Most popular, but not my favorite

77601960-L-1.jpg

Johnsonville are ok, but just ordinary grocery store type brats. it's all I can get out here so I buy em, but look for a good meat store.

ketchup.....never on a brat, the flavor takes away from the meat, same as with a good beef dog....save ketchup fpr your eggs....

Gotit allwrong

1970s brought to Boulder a touch o Wisconsin, the great state by importing "Dons Cheeze and sausage" on 18th and Pearl Street.

the braught should be served with copious quanity of kraut, on a sesame seed hoagie roll and a thin yet overpowering slice of provolne cheeze, and sepentipously dabbed and slathered with YELLOW mustard, NOT I repeat NOT goofed up with the DESIGNER mustards availble today in any yuppie super market store!

Sadly Dons is gone, but the memory and my appitite brings me the 400 miles to the east to dribble the drips of the devine Wisconsin Braut off my chin...once again!

Enough of this string, I must retreat fo fear of dribble landing on my keyboard. See you all in the great state of WISCONSIN!!

Red:dance

Long Live the music of the Grateful Dead, and my mantra..."I dontwantapicklejuswantoridemymotorcycle, dontwantadie, juwntaridemymotorcy"-Arlo the
Guthrie

The sausage races! We we at the Brewers game when that girl was knocked down, good fun!

For the best taste, brats go in the beer bath AFTER grilling. The brats cool and draw the flavors of the beer in.:thumb :thumb

For quickest grilling boil first.

Schwai's - Available at the rally

When you are the rally and are trying to decide who has the best brats, I'd recommend sampling some of the Brats / Italians / Polish sausages at the Schwai's food trailer.

Schwai's is the local meat-market, so the sausages are "WOW" fresh.

Last summer, Chasman & Julie and Brian and I did some recon at the local county fair. We each got a different sandwich and ALL of us were in agreement. We invited them to be food vendors for us on the spot.

Question. Will we have camp fires in the camping area. If so, I may bring a grill and some brats and cook em over a camp fire.

Back