• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wisconsin 2007: The Bratwurst Thread

also on Friday and Saturday as you are out riding... expect to see (and smell) several brat fries going on in grocery store, gas station, etc.. parking lots. non-profits do them as a way to raise money.
Stop... grab a soda and a brat, relax. I'm sure some local will talk to you...

expect to see (and smell) several brat fries going on in grocery store, gas station, etc.. parking lots.

Some of the best food I ever ate was at gas stations on the road. One in particular that comes to mind was a delicious hamburger bought at a gas station going through Presidio, Texas. I sat and ate at a small table on the sidewalk right outside the front door. Man, it was juicy!:D

Now I'm looking forward to a tasty Wisconsin brat on the road somewhere.:yum

Question. Will we have camp fires in the camping area. If so, I may bring a grill and some brats and cook em over a camp fire.

Since this is a fairgrounds, they do not allow any campfires. Sorry. On the other hand, you can probably get a small grill and some charcoal at the local WalMart.
:)

Bratwurst Reuben Sandwich
Sandwich Ingredients
5 Bratwurst links
1 pkg. hoagie or bratwurst rolls
1 pkg. sliced Swiss cheese (6-8 slices)
1 cup Thousand Island dressing

Sauerkraut Topping
1-14.5 oz. can sauerkraut, drained
3/4 cup large red onion, sliced
1/2 cup sliced scallions, green part only
1-2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2-3/4 tsp. sugar to taste
1/2-3/4 tsp. garlic powder to taste
2-3 dashes favorite hot sauce
Directions;
Carefully cut lengthwise each bratwurst (only 2/3 the way through). Gently flatten for quick and easy cooking. Prepare bratwurst according to package directions in skillet. Note: Cook time will be shortened. Cook until no longer visibly pink. Place bratwurst to side keeping warm on low oven setting. Carefully drain excess liquid. Add vegetable oil and return skillet to medium-high heat setting. Add sliced red onion and green pepper, saut?® for 2-5 minutes until slightly tender. Add sauerkraut and gently heat together. Add seasonings and scallions and keep warm. Add cooked bratwurst, sauerkrautm Thousand Island dressing and cheese on a roll. Serves 5. Refrigerate leftovers.

counted 4 brat fries today while heading to the library and then fleet farm

104871011-XL.jpg

The Word From Sheboygan: Our Wurst Is Best

104870631-XL.jpg

More Wisconsin photos here :dance clicky

Last edited:
Bratwurst Sandwiches with Onion-Mustard

Ingredients:

Serves 4
1 pound white or yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 cup canned beef broth, undiluted
2 to 4 tablespoons German coarse-grain mustard
Freshly ground pepper, optional
4 bratwurst, knockwurst, bockwurst or other German-style link sausages
4 sourdough French rolls, split
Recipe
Prepare a charcoal fire or preheat a broiler. Heat a well-oiled
skillet over medium heat.
Add the onions and saut?® until they are limp and transparent, about
15 minutes, stirring often. Add the beef broth and simmer 5 minutes.
Stir in the mustard; season with freshly ground pepper to taste if
desired. Set sauce aside.
Meanwhile, grill or broil the sausages for about 15 minutes, turning
to brown all sides. (If sausages are thick and were sold not fully
cooked, it's best to parboil them before grilling so cooking will be
thorough.)
Toast the French rolls, cut sides down, on the grill or skillet.
Place a sausage or split sausage in each toasted roll and top with a
generous portion of the onion mixture.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 432 calories, 24 grams fat, 36
grams carbohydrates, 18 grams protein, 51 milligrams cholesterol,
1,035 milligrams sodium, 50 percent of calories from fat.
Place bratwurst in sauce to coat. Serve with remaining sauce. Makes 8 appetizer servings (or 4 as a main course)

The best all around WI brat is Klements fresh bratwurst. http://www.klements.com/

The best custom bratwurst is made by Repena's. Polish is fantastic, Hungarians are smoked or fresh, and the Slovainian is like a regular brat with caraway seed, most excellent.
http://www.rupenas.com/index.html

The best rolls in town by far. http://www.petersciortinosbakery.com/

Only use hardwood charcoal for cooking brats.
Only use beer and onions bath after grilling if needed to keep warm.

The fire can not be 500 degrees. You need med heat around 325.

The worst thing you can do is split a wurst or poke it with sharp tongs to leak. You want the juices to stay inside and cook. If you have too hot of fire they will split open. Been known to do the 'bare handed' turn frequently.

Fresh brats should get good grill marks on all sides first and then be moved to indirect heat for slower cooking.

How to tell a brat is done? You should see juices bubling slightly inside casing. If you have punctured the brat somehow, the juice will run clear and your done.

Now, the only true WI way to eat them is with ketchup and diced raw onions.

If your from CA, its ok for no bun and to dip it directly into mustard jar.

And everyone must wash down these things with cold beer. :drink

Side Dishes: Red Cabbage

Easy Red Cabbage
1 Jar of your favorite brand of German Red Cabbage
(Kruegermann, Gundelsheim, Hainich, Kuhne, Hengstenberg, Spreewaldhof, etc.)
1 Large Onion - diced
1 or 2 Medium Apples - finely grated
1 Bay Leaf
3 Tbsp. Butter
3/4 to 1 cup Beef Stock or one bouillon cube dissolved in water
1 or 2 Tbsp. Honey
1 or 2 Cloves - optional
1/4 Cup White or Red Wine - not too dry
Salt and Pepper to taste

Melt the butter - add diced onion and saute until pale yellow. Add your favorite jar of Red Cabbage, apple, bay leaf, honey, cloves, and beef stock. Slowly simmer until tender - about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Season to taste. Thicken with cornstarch blended in with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil until thick. Now add wine to bring out red color and enhance the taste. Now it is ready to serve!

Red Cabbage can be placed in the oven along with Sauerbraten and simmered. Cooking time would still be approximately the same.

Sue's Red Cabbage

I make my own red cabbage for our Oktoberfest Party every year. It's incredibly easy, and tastes WAY better than any jars you'll buy.

Two Heads Red cabbage, chopped (I use a food processor)
1/2 - 1 cup Red Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 - 1 cup sugar
1 jar of applesauce, about 2 cups
1 cup water
Salt & pepper

Mix all ingredients into a pot and simmer slowly 3 - 4 hours. Balance sugar & vinegar to taste. Serve hot.

Hmmm. Brats? Wisconsin? ...

Interesting thread. Its late and you have my stomach grumbling and then the mind sort of kicked in.

If folks are coming from the south-east, and are anywhere near Kenosha, about 45 minutes from West Bend on Rt. 50 between Rt. 45 and Interstate 94, there is the Brat Stop. It should be about their 46th year this summer, serving some of the best Brats I have found on the road.

And if you missed breakfast and are really hungry, starting out with the Deli Combo plate of three cheeses, three deli meats, crackers and pickle slices is not bad idea.

Pick your favorite Leine and have at it.

Gee, didn't I just do that around 1:30 today???:usa

Is that the place that advertises "mitt or mittout"?:laugh

I just had a Johnsonville Brat "Mitt" saurkraut for lunch, MMMMMMMMM.

If you haven't seen it, you never sausage a thing.

Last edited:
GERMAN POTATO SALAD (Kartoffelsalat) Ingredients:
1 lb potatoes, scrubbed
1 ?? cups hot chicken or beef stock
5-6 Tablespoons rapeseed oil
2 Tablespoons German vinegar
1 teaspoon German mustard
?¢ teaspoon sugar
?¢ teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cucumber
1 large German pickle
5 oz cooked bacon, chopped (optional)
2 spring onions, chopped
2 small onions chopped finely
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
Black pepper to taste Method: Cut the potatoes into large cubes and boil in salted water until tender. Drain and pour the hot stock over them. Leave until cool, by which time they should have absorbed the stock. Whisk the oil with the vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper. Halve the cucumber lengthways, scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon and dice the flesh into cubes. Chop the pickle to the same size. Mix the cooked bacon, cucumber, pickle, onions, chives and dressing into the cooled potatoes. Gently mix in the tomatoes and set aside in the fridge for an hour or two. Check the seasoning and serve. More about German Potato Salad German potato salads are not just for serving as an accompaniment to a cold meal. There are many hot dishes that are complemented by a good potato salad. The most simple and sublime are meaty Bratwursts, complete with a nice big spoonful of German mustard. Finally ÔÇö a simple serving tip ÔÇö don't serve potato salad straight from the fridge. It is best only lightly chilled so remove at least half an hour before serving.

To those of you coming to the Sauerkraut center of the US (the world's largest kraut manufacturer is about 120 miles north of West Bend in Oconto) I suggest you partake of that specialty cabbage concoction that goes SO good with brats and beer.

Well, actually kraut is GREAT on brats, hot dogs, hamburgers and even pizza! Yes on a meat-lovers pizza a load of kraut with the cheese is sehr gutt! And good for you! Plus you'll pick up that bit of extra "gas" for the ride to the rally. C'mon, one of the many pleasures of cycle riding is flatulence at will with great gusto!

In fact, for those of you wandering down over the top of Lake Michigan and coming down through Green Bay, make a stop for pizza at Brother's Three in Oconto. Get the Meaty People special with sauerkraut added and you have a beauty of a Wisconsin pizza. A large will easily fill four people! Plus they serve Leini's beer. You can even sit out on the back deck and gaze over the lovely Oconto river just down the street from Cruiser's Yacht works.

Even my cat's middle name is Kapoosta, Polish for cabbage, or sauerkraut if you get a bit creative with it. Funny thing is, I come from Dutch heritage.

Back