• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmets, Again?

Fritzc

Here in Michigan we have a Helmet law that requires helmets when riding a motorcycle. I see many scooter riders without helmets. I've seen a Honda Helix scooter wtih a 600 CC engine. Just what is the difference between a scooter and a motorcycle anyway? This article doesn't say whether the victim was wearing a helmet or not but I'll bet anything he wasn't.

Web exclusive: SLT teen dies after late Wednesday crash

SPRING LAKE TOWNSHIP ÔÇö A Spring Lake Township teen died this morning, more than 10 hours after he was hit by a car while he was riding a motorized scooter on 144th Avenue.

Atom Benjamin Davis, 17, died at 10 a.m. at Hackley Hospital in Muskegon, where he was taken after the crash. The Muskegon County Medical Examiner said Davis died from head injuries suffered in the late Wednesday night crash.

Police are still looking for the driver and vehicle that they said fled the scene after the crash, which happened just south of Taft Street in Spring Lake Township.

An investigation by the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department revealed that Davis was traveling south on 144th Avenue when an unknown vehicle hit the back of the boy's mo-ped and fled, said Sgt. Steve Austin. When police arrived on the scene, they found the crashed scooter and the boy unconscious and lying along the roadway, and he was transported to Hackley Hospital with critical injuries.

The crash remains under investigation by the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department. Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call the Sheriff's Department tipline at (616) 738-4687 or Silent Observer at 842-1400.

Fritzc said:
The crash remains under investigation by the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department. Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call the Sheriff's Department tipline at (616) 738-4687 or Silent Observer at 842-1400.

The hit and run killer has been found. The boy was wearing dark clothing and no helmet when he was hit, it was reported.

from woodtv.com

Arrest in deadly moped hit-and-run.

Updated: Aug 11, 2006 09:46 AM

SPRING LAKE TOWNSHIP -- A break today in the case of a teenager who was hit by an automobile and died while riding his moped in Spring Lake Township.

Friday, police told 24 Hour News 8 they arrested the driver who fled after hitting moped driver Atom Davis.

Police say Davis, 17, was riding his moped on 144th Avenue near Taft Street around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday when he was struck by a vehicle. That driver left the scene.

Davis was taken to the hospital, where he died Thursday.

Charges against the driver of the car that struck Davis are expected sometime today.

24 Hour News 8 has a crew working this story and will have updates as they become available.

----------
If you want to find news up to a year old try: http://search.topix.net

I can't comment on the legal difference between a motorcycle and a scooter except that if it were up to me, there'd be no difference.

Around here I see scooter-riders all the time, usually wearing minimal protective gear. But just yesterday I saw one- out in 100F+ heat!- wearing gloves, a proper motorcycle jacket, and a full-face helmet.

And then there's our local Vespa crowd- a sort of informal group that meets at an Irish pub on Sundays. They generally wear NO protective gear, and like to ride old scooters from immaculately-restored ones to thoroughly punked-out ones. One of these guys is even the proprietor of a good-size local scooter shop!

The story said he was riding a moped and then it says scooter. Does the journalist know the difference between the two?

mo?Àped (mō'pĕd') pronunciation
n.
A lightweight motorized bicycle that can be pedaled as well as driven by a low-powered gasoline engine.

scoot?Àer (skū'tər) pronunciation
n.
1. A child's vehicle consisting of a long footboard between two small end wheels, controlled by an upright steering handle attached to the front wheel.
2. A motor scooter.
3. A flatbottom sailboat with runners that can skim over water or ice.

----------
Michigan Helmet Law

(4) A person operating or riding on a motorcycle, and any person less than 19 years of age operating a moped on a public thoroughfare shall wear a crash helmet on his or her head. Crash helmets shall be approved by the department of state police. The department of state police shall promulgate rules for the implementation of this section pursuant to the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.315. Rules in effect on June 1, 1970, shall apply to helmets required by this act. This subsection does not apply to a person operating or riding in an autocycle if the vehicle is equipped with a roof which meets or exceeds standards for a crash helmet.

Busted

STORY SEARCH: http://www.topix.net/search/?q="Atom+Davis"

Arrest in deadly moped hit-and-run.

Source: http://www.woodtv.com/global/story.asp?s=5269772
Updated: Aug 11, 2006 02:32 PM
Gordon Eikenberry

GRAND HAVEN -- A Muskegon County man is behind bars Friday after a tip to Silent Observer regarding a hit and run that killed an Ottawa County teenager.

The suspect, Christopher Eikenberry of Fruitport was arraigned in Grand Haven Friday afternoon. He is charged with leaving the scene of an accident that caused serious injury or death.

The victim's parents wanted their son to be someone different. They named him Atom, after a character in a punk rock song. Now, they are mourning the loss of their son. "He was very full of life. Some days he was full of more than he needed to be full of," said family friend Eva McCoy.

Atom Davis was struck while riding his Moped Wednesday night about 11:30 p.m. The driver fled the scene. Davis died from his injuries on Thursday.

A tip to Silent Observer lead deputies to 30-year-old Christopher Eikenberry. A statement read in court Friday indicates that Eikenberry admitted to being behind the wheel that night.

"I think that was the hardest part. That the driver left. It took us a long time to come to terms with it, that someone could act so irrationally and irresponsibly," continued Eva McCoy.

Another Story here: http://www.grandhaventribune.com/paid/286772945233764.bsp

Police said Davis was driving his 1980 Yamaha mo-ped south on 144th Avenue when a car hit the back of the boy's scooter, then fled, said Sgt. Steve Austin of the Ottawa County Sheriff's Department. When police arrived on the scene, south of Taft Street, they found the boy lying unconscious along the roadway.

There is very little differentiation under Federal vehicle codes. States are given a book, I seem to remember it's called The Yellow Book, by the Feds but they don't have to follow it. Each state can describe what is a legal vehicle for its streets. Cities can decide what is legal to park on the sidewalk or must be parked in the street. The State decides what must be registered to be street legal or if a title is even required. The State decides the operator licensing requirements for which vehicles.

How do I know?

I served for 6 years as the Governor's appointee to the Montana Motorcycle Safety Advisory Committee and we oversaw, wrote, amended and lobbied for (and against) these laws.

Lately I see more and more four-wheeled ATVs being used for everyday commuting in my city. That's an ugly traffic mix.

Michigan

When i received numerous (4) tickets at the age of 14 in Michigan, one of those tickets was for operating a motorcycle without a license. I was on a 75cc Honda Passport. At the time anything over 50cc was legally considered a motorcycle. The same is true in Texas where I currently reside. If it is over 50cc it is registered as a motorcycle.

I am very much in favor of helmet laws. (I know, I know, the proper attitude is to say I wear and helmet but want the government to let US choose.) Well, I also favor seat belt laws because they seem to be working.
That said, maybe they should make helmets mandatory for anyone under 21 years old not matter what kind of motorized thing they are riding: scooter, mo-ped, quad.
I have been seeing a lot of young (teens and under) around my neck of the woods riding quads with no helmets. Seems kind of silly to me. I know they are more stable than a motorcycle, but they do flip over now and then, don't they??

IN AZ. anything over 49 cc's is a motorcycle and you have to follow all the requirements. FWIW, a get off from a 49cc at 30+ MPH is no different than a get off from a 1000 cc at 30+ mph. The ground and pavement are the same for everyone no matter what you ride.

I saw one yesterday on a vespa style bike, sandals shorts t-shirt and 3/4 helmet in the middle of rush hour traffic. Darwin is still in operation.

Motorman said:
IN AZ. anything over 49 cc's is a motorcycle and you have to follow all the requirements. FWIW, a get off from a 49cc at 30+ MPH is no different than a get off from a 1000 cc at 30+ mph. The ground and pavement are the same for everyone no matter what you ride.
I would personally add bicycles to that same categorization. 30+mph is 30+mph.

Here in PA helmets are required for anyone under 21, and any motorized vehicle must be registered and insured. A friends kid got scolded for having a battery operated scooter on the street......Oh, and anyone under 12 must wear a helmet when on a bicycle. I gues once you turn 13 it doesn't hurt as much when you hit the pavement.

john1691
2000 K1200RS

john1691 said:
Here in PA helmets are required for anyone under 21, and any motorized vehicle must be registered and insured. A friends kid got scolded for having a battery operated scooter on the street......Oh, and anyone under 12 must wear a helmet when on a bicycle. I gues once you turn 13 it doesn't hurt as much when you hit the pavement.

john1691
2000 K1200RS

By the age of 13 the kids know everything anyway and so there is no risk to impede development...hehehehe

I live in South Carolina and the current laws states that anybody under the age of 21 must wear a helmet, moped riders are exempt. Sadly to say, due to no mandatory helmet law the insurance rates also increased when the mandatory helmet law was removed. In addition, even moped and scooter accidents are included in motorcycle statistics. Once somebody losses their liscence off they go buy a moped, ride without a helmet and contribute to the negative statistics. I very rarely see somebody on a moped with the correct protective gear and a helmet. Well, it goes against better judgement, but so does a DUI. When are people going to learn that the concrete or asphalt are not going to give, but the brain/skull/skin will. Since I work in the ER, I sadly to say, see it all too often.
The best gear does you nothing, if you are not wearing it....

Why would you think a "scooter" is not a motorcycle? It has 2 wheels, goes over 25 MPH and the only way to make it go other than pushing, is to use the engine built into it, just like any other motorcycle.

If it doesn't have pedals and isn't an electric skateboard or equivalent, it's pretty much a motorcycle.

In some states a 50cc scooter requires no special license or training. People who lose their driver's license for a DUI sometimes get them. That may or may not be a problem.

Back