• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RT Battery Access

Mr. Frank

I need to attach a Gerbing's wiring harness to my battery. What's the least amount of body plastic I can remove to get to both battery posts?

The left side of the fairing sitting on the bike, as you need to remove the airintake pipe going to the airbox. The battery strap is right there too and you can get at the other terminal. That should get it otherwise you have to take of the other side also:cry After all that you will need a :beer or two.
Good luck!!:rocker

Frank, why can't you just go thru the provided power outlet like the rest of us? :) Are you worried about voltage drop?

You can even get a factory dual-outlet plate that resides below the sidestand helper handle. I had one of those on my R11RT and it worked great.

jdiaz said:
You can even get a factory dual-outlet plate that resides below the sidestand helper handle. I had one of those on my R11RT and it worked great.

The 1150 comes with the dual outlets stock, Jon.

jdiaz said:
Frank, why can't you just go thru the provided power outlet like the rest of us? :) Are you worried about voltage drop?
The direct connection to the battery gives a better connection than the accessory outlet, and puts the plug in a convenient location in front of the rider. The outlets are low and a bit back requiring a lot of hanging wire.

I've seen some data showing more power reaching the jacket using a direct connection.

Were you able to get at the battery?
The powerplugs on the bike are good too but you have a point about wires hanging around.
I don't know if a direct connection vs the powerplug makes much difference with the vest.
Let us know how things turn out for you.:clap

Yes. I did it this morning. The hardest part was getting the airbox cover back on. It looks like it should drop right in, but it was a real struggle. It was also a problem figuring out what I would rest the battery on while it was partially out of the bike.

Brian Curry has some good test data showing quite a voltage drop across the outlet and the plug which results in less heat and sometimes a hot plug. Plus, the wire to the outlets is marginal. The Gerbing's harness is very sturdy with ring connectors and an inline fuse. You can also use it to charge the battery.

Back