• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

camping trailer

Mike Barnett

My wife and I are thinking about buying a camper trailer to pull behind her trike. We would appreciate any suggestions or advice and experience on different brands and styles. We're also considering a camping trailer to pull behind a truck that hauls your bike inside. I've seen several different styles at the rallys.

Try browsing the link below to glean some camper insight.

http://bbs.gwrra.org/board/messages/47/47.html?1066212061

You didn't say what your wife's trike is, but keep in mind that a camper can weigh between 600 to 800 pounds by the time you pack it with stuff. So pulling one is quite a chore. If her trike is a Suzuki Intruder, it might not be suited to pulling a camper. But if it is a triked Gold Wing, no problem. Some other questions:

Will the trike/trailer weight differences be managable?

Will the bike electical system handle the extra load of lights, etc.?

Is your wife an experienced rider?

I have a cargo trailer that I pulled with my Wing, and recall vividly an episode on wet pavement in which the weight of the loaded trailer "pushed" the rear of the Wing into a slide. The momentary loss of traction was scary! My trailer was built from a kit I obtained from Harbor Freight. I still have the trailer, and plan to one day do the modifications necessary to drag it behind my K1100LT.

Also, several years back, a rider was killed about 20 miles south of where I live when his right side cargo trailer wheel got off the pavement and into a jagged rut on the shoulder. The trailer flipped and in the subsequent chaos he was thrown from the bike and hit by a car. His trailer tongue was not equipped with a swivel hitch (360 degree rotation), and the speculation was that if it had been, he might have been able to ride it to a safe stop.

With all the negatives considered, pulling a trailer / camper can be a great way to go for riders who tour a lot. And the investment can easily be justified when you consider the cost of motel rooms over say, a five year period.

I would be interested in hearing about what you eventually do. And if you one day see a homegrown cargo trailer being pulled behind a K1100LT, wave ... it is probably me.

Regards,
Rick

Back