• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Same thing different rally

Bmwgs94

Well I know I am going to get the ( don't whine , it could have been worse) responses but why do we have limited showers every year ? :dunno It was told to me that I could ride about 2 miles down the road to the college and shower there , but who wants to pack up stuff and do that ? What is the actual cost on having 2 - 3 semi-trailer showers brought in to use ? I heard every where I went that people complained about standing in line for ever to shower. I am not get to many people backing me up on this issue but at least I voiced my opinon.

bmwgs94 said:
Well I know I am going to get the ( don't whine , it could have been worse) responses but why do we have limited showers every year ? :dunno It was told to me that I could ride about 2 miles down the road to the college and shower there , but who wants to pack up stuff and do that ? What is the actual cost on having 2 - 3 semi-trailer showers brought in to use ? I heard every where I went that people complained about standing in line for ever to shower. I am not get to many people backing me up on this issue but at least I voiced my opinon.

I was camped as far back in the site on the Cul de Sac as you could possibly be (we called it Toronto) and we went to St Michaels every morning and never waited in line for a shower. It was clean and comfortable and not a problem. It got us up early and ready for the activities of the day

My wait for the shower was only 5 minutes. Still, I think a second or third trailer is a good idea.

It must have been very time-dependent. I took my showers at night, and never had to wait. Part of the reason I went at night was because I knew there would be a wait in the mornings. If the MOA could swing it, a second shower trailer would be nice, I think.

I WAS very impressed with the shower trailer setup. Things were pretty well kept, IMHO.

I've done a lot of backpacking and some winter mountaineering in my day, and folks there ain't no showers up in the mountains. I travel with a small camp towel, some Witch Hazel, and some Gold Bond powder. It's not that hard to feel/smell perfectly presentable with these simple things. OK, yeah, I'm also not talking about weeks on end, but you can skip a day here and there. As for showers at the rally, it's pretty simple: shower when others aren't. I grabbed a shower in the shower trailer after the GS ride, probably about 4pm or so on Friday. There was NO line, zero, walk right in.

time dependent

Because I work the late shift at the beer garden, I am not an early riser at the National. I showered every day at about 9:30 AM and the longest wait I had was 10 minutes. To have enough showers so that no one waits at all at any time would require that we raise the rally fee. While it hasn't always been the case, I think the last several Nationals have had more than enough showers available for the crowd. Just my humble opinion.

tb

snoone said:
I was camped as far back in the site on the Cul de Sac as you could possibly be (we called it Toronto) and we went to St Michaels every morning and never waited in line for a shower. It was clean and comfortable and not a problem. It got us up early and ready for the activities of the day
You know I'd swear that we (the "Toronto" contigent) were the only ones who made use of the SMC showers. I never encountered more than two other people there at prime times. No wait, no fuss, and no sweating ten seconds after you got out of the shower.

I heard prime time complaints about lack of hot water.
6AM to 9AM was not the time to try to shower.

I showered at 5PM every day, except Saturday night.
No lines.

Soaked from rain and sweat on Saturday, we found the pavillion showers barren at 8PM. Scalding hot shower, with no one waiting behind us.

Showers took some calculating.

sjbmw said:
I heard prime time complaints about lack of hot water.
6AM to 9AM was not the time to try to shower.

I showered at 5PM every day, except Saturday night.
No lines.

Soaked from rain and sweat on Saturday, we found the pavillion showers barren at 8PM. Scalding hot shower, with no one waiting behind us.

Showers took some calculating.

It is true that one morning I had a refreshing unexpected lukewarm shower. Big deal

My rally plan includes a shower strategy...
As I rise and prepare to go out on my daily fun, I put my change of clothes, shower shoes, kit bag, and packtowl in the side case. Then I'm ready at any point in the day to scope the shower situation and act accordingly-- no trip back to the campsite.

We enjoyed late afternoon showers at the main Ladies rest room/shower. Those of us who are line-intolerant, planning around the lines is the way to go. Late afternoon worked out nice too, we were fresh for the beer tent. :D

I think your request is reasonable however...but from the level of complaints (or lack there of) I think the organizers made improvements on the shower situation from years past. Think of the numbers of people and challenge to accommodate them all! It's not 9K, 'cause there are many hotel-dwellers, but it's still a whole lot of people putting demands at peak times!

SheRidesABeemer said:
We enjoyed late afternoon showers at the main Ladies rest room/shower. Those of us who are line-intolerant, planning around the lines is the way to go. Late afternoon worked out nice too, we were fresh for the beer tent. :D

I think your request is reasonable however...but from the level of complaints (or lack there of) I think the organizers made improvements on the shower situation from years past. Think of the numbers of people and challenge to accommodate them all! It's not 9K, 'cause there are many hotel-dwellers, but it's still a whole lot of people putting demands at peak times!
I think you are on to something.. seeing how the ratio of men to women at the rally was about 40:1, I think the next rally I'm going to use the women's shower..

We actually had a four stall shower near the RV parking.. no more then a 15 minute wait for a lukewarm shower..

We always go on "rally shower schedule" which means you take a shower before dinner, not with the rest of the lemmings first thing in the morning.

Never, ever a wait.

IAMBOB said:
We actually had a four stall shower near the RV parking.. no more then a 15 minute wait for a lukewarm shower..

they were hot before all you rv'ers showed up, don't you have showers in those things :D

never a wait, took all my showers at the rally grounds in the AM.

(conversely, the St. Mike's showers were only good at night, no hot water in the morning)

BubbaZanetti said:
they were hot before all you rv'ers showed up, don't you have showers in those things :D

never a wait, took all my showers at the rally grounds in the AM.

(conversely, the St. Mike's showers were only good at night, no hot water in the morning)
now don't put me there.. I wasn't an RV'r, I just used their showers!!

motorcycle riding and a shower

hmmm didn't know these things go together

I never had any trouble showering during the rally. I showered when I got up in the morning and before I went to bed. Always had hot water, never had a line to wait in. It was great. Then I crawled into my comfy bed in the suite we stayed at. It was nice. ....Yeah...I said suite. We stayed in a Inn. :nyah

I wanna camp for my next rally.

What Lines?

Being my curse in life, I always wake up some time between 4:30 a.m. - 5:30 a.m. A little before 5 was the my norm during the rally. Always showered in the trailer. Waited once about two minutes and just walked in the other two mornings. Camped over on the Sunday night without a Monday morning shower and I survived.

Another trailer would certainly have accomodated more people during the rush times, but with that many people with so few showers, I guess more flexiblity is needed by the group to keep the lines shorter and the water warmer.

Belquar said:
I never had any trouble showering during the rally. I showered when I got up in the morning and before I went to bed. Always had hot water, never had a line to wait in. It was great. Then I crawled into my comfy bed in the suite we stayed at. It was nice. ....Yeah...I said suite. We stayed in a Inn. :nyah

I wanna camp for my next rally.

But you missed out on the equivalent of Motorcycle Woodstock.. But it's funny :hungover

KBasa said:
We always go on "rally shower schedule" which means you take a shower before dinner, not with the rest of the lemmings first thing in the morning.

Never, ever a wait.

What he said! :thumb

Back