• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Safety articles on-line

What should we call a "Safety or Rider's Workshop" thread?

• Street Smarts

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Ride Well

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Rider's Well

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Safety Forum

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Crash Test Dummies

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Rider's Workshop

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Getting It Right

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It Happens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I listed my own thought

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

PacWestGS

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES
New "Rider's Information" forum NAME?

What do you other members think we should call this?

Some brainfarts for you:

Riderology
Ridesmanship
Rider Tech
Biker-Pilot-Tech
:lurk

Roadcraft
Ridercraft

Big topic, but that is the fun of it and it needs covering.

Include skills

I like something with skills in it.
Safety for some people sounds like mommy saying "Be carefull look both ways". Skills....something we can all improve on.

41077 said:
I like something with skills in it.
Safety for some people sounds like mommy saying "Be carefull look both ways". Skills....something we can all improve on.

What he said...RiderSkills RS for short ;)

SFDOC,

GOOD ON YOU mate, for getting us organized to have a central forum for discussing what I think of as "Riding Skills", which to me include not only the physical skills of controlling the motorcycle, but also the mental skills for negotiating hazards. Since I'm no longer using the column heading "Between The Ears" in ON, that name would be available, and perhaps some forum participants would recognize what it means.

As noted, "safety" seems to carry an image of something pedantic--say a rider in a business suit wearing a conspicuity vest, putting slowly down the shoulder on a Honda 90 with a rotating beacon on the milk crate bungied to the rear fender. Personally, I abandoned the term "safety" years ago, because "motorcycle safety" is an oxymoron. I don't know anyone who rides a motorcycle to be "safe", but I know a lot of riders who think it's great to beat their buddies through the corners without crashing, or commute through heavy traffic day after day without getting splattered by an errant driver or dropped by an edge trap or tar snake.

I think that riding skills should be a major section of the main forum, and all strings relating to the subject be moved there by the other moderators as this thing starts to work. Anything relating to what the rider does to control the bike and the situation, but not how to make the machine "safer".

Although I don't currently have the "intensity" to be a moderator for such a forum, I certainly would be prone to chime in from time to time.

And I do hope that the moderators will instantly delete the silly tangents that tend to develop: "Hi Bob, remember the time we shared the bottle of Merlot at the campout? You going to the rally this year?" (yadda yadda) that have nothing to do with the subject.

pmdave
aka David L. Hough :clap

pmdave said:
... "Between The Ears" ...

This is my vote. Tradition is important, plus this title sums up the basic point... that we should always be thinking about the endless number of ways we can improve our skills. :D

Ian

I think, (which is dangerous) that for the forums it should be kept to two words. I could be wrong though. I do like "BTE".

"Riding Skills" is winning and sounds good to me as well.

Now lets push this on the BOD...

Russ

Back