• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What works

RTRandy

I hope to be putting up my ride report soon, but after 6,878 miles to Nova Scotia and back, I had good opportunity to test some new stuff. Some of these I put on just days before I departed and questioned the wisdom of going with something untried before a long trip. For the most part I was pleasantly surprised. Below are the gadgets and gear that helped.

1) Pirelli Diablo Strada tires These were those newly introduced tires that someone posted here in the spring about the promotion to buy the rear tire and get the front free from Pirelli. Pirelli advertised them to have good traction dry or wet, heating ability,and long lasting. Well as a die hard Z6 fan I found them to be all that was advertised. I removed my Z6's just before departure which had 4,000 miles on them and put on my Pirelli Diablo's for the trip. I rode 3 days of the 20 days in all day hard rain and they held up fine. In addition I rode the Dragon and numorous mountain passes and they were more than fine with little chicken skin to show on the sides. After 7,000 miles on them, they don't show much more wear than my Z6's sitting on my garage with 4,000 miles on them. Overall, I'd go with these again if all things are equal like the price. I'll put the Z6's back on soon and use what's left of them for spring weekend and local rides.

2) New Cee Baileys windshied. I got the one that was 2 inches wider and 2 inches taller and ordered the "Euro cut" with the slight dip in the top. I was questioning getting a bigger windshield since down here is gets super hot thinking the more air blowing on me the better. Turns out there were some days huddling behind the thing in driving rain wondering how the one with 4 more inches might work. The Cee Baileys has that slight upward flair at the top which really quiets the airflow making for a more comfortable ride. I'm real happy with it so it will say on even on the hot days.

3) Throttle Miester The jury is still out on this one. It's like a poor man's cruise control. I love my wrist rocker on the throttle, however there were times the throttle miester would help to allow me to pull my right arm off and give it a rest or shake it out. Sometimes it freed up my right hand to futz with something. I used it on the interstate highway and it helps for sure, however if it's locked down hard, it could be a potential problem when needing a quick back off. Having it just slightly tight meant the speed would slowly decline and require some adjusting. It's really only locking the throttle so on hills the bike slows, while on descents, the bike speeds up. Overall it's fine, but after test riding a 1200RT with cruise control, there's no contest. The BMW cruise control is super responsive and works great. Just one of several improvements that are swaying me to get a new 1200RT.

4) The beads for the seat. What can I say. They look somewhat stupid. They look uncomfortable, BUT . . . they are unbelievable for long days keeping your butt dry. I had some tough days being saddle sore and the beads totally cured the problem. They really help on rainy days keeping you elevated off the wet saddle. Great surprise on this item. You won't know your sitting on them either.

5) MotoLights These I've had a long time and feel they've been a great investment. Many people think they help you see better at night which they do, however the real purpose in my book it to help cars and trucks see you and perceive your speed better during the day. They really improve your chances against left turning vehicles. Period. The Moto Lights mount low on the break calipers and give you a better profile from cars up ahead waiting to make a turn in front of you. The triangulation helps the cars perceive your speed better than a single bright light. They really give you a better sense of security.

6) GPS in general and certainly the Garmin 276C for sure I still love maps and those who haven't tried a GPS think you ride down the road staring at the thing. It really helps when you know a turn is coming in 9.4 miles or the road is going to fork 2 mile ahead and you need to bare left. It helps me find gas, lodging and dining and kept me aware of what was coming up ahead. I don't use the sound since the graphics change when something major is coming up. They way mine is mounted high on a shelf allows me to view my speed without looking down at the dash pretty much like a heads up display. Don't leave home without one !

Last edited:
RTRandy said:
I hope to be putting up my ride report soon, but after 6,878 miles to Nova Scotia and back, I had good opportunity to test some new stuff. Some of these I put on just days before I departed and questioned the wisdom of going with something untried before a long trip. For the most part I was pleasantly surprised. Below are the gadgets and gear that helped.

Great report... it would be cool to see this as a one-pager in the magazine, a different person each month, sortof mini-product reviews.

Thanks for posting. I agree with you on the Throttlemeister.... the only time I ever use it is to stretch out my right arm... and with 20/20 hindsight, I wish I went the $0.25 o-ring route.

Ian

Visian said:
Great report... it would be cool to see this as a one-pager in the magazine, a different person each month, sortof mini-product reviews.

Thanks for posting. I agree with you on the Throttlemeister.... the only time I ever use it is to stretch out my right arm... and with 20/20 hindsight, I wish I went the $0.25 o-ring route.

Ian

i can loan you a quarter... :D

username said:
i can loan you a quarter... :D

ya know, now that you mention it, if i wedge that quarter inbetween the throttle grip and the master cylinder housing just right.....

You forgot to include staying at the same hotel as me :)

Nice to see you made it home safe and sound. Thanks for putting this stuff up.

Yes seperate rooms......

Randy, sounds like you completed your trip, congrats.

I put on a new set of Pirelli's (MT90 S/T) for my 9,000 mile trip. I could have kept the front on from the other set, but the back is done. I'll use it for the rest of summer and then put my old one back on. Two rears to one front.

I did a lot of abusing on this trip and had no flats or other problems with them. I had a lot of hot weather and little rain.

I found using my TM that it worked great for the long runs while holding the throttle just open enough to rest my hand on the grip. I would tighten it enough to take pictures and other times to stretch my hand, but I'm kind of a right hand on the throttle guy.

A bit different on windscreens, I used a Laminar lip on my GSA screen, it worked great for me all the time, (well, except that I have allot of pictures of it. View finder in clean air, lens looking through the bug splatered lip).

I did the whole trip on my Quest. Occaisionally looked or changed routes with laptop and looked at a paper 'USA Maps book' three times for gross route ideas. You are right, they are so useful to find lodging, food and gas.

Russ

I second the vote for Motolights! I will point out though that they do offer at least three mounting options, and I prefer the old-school band-mount becaseu that allows the lights to be aimed slightly outward. Staright ahead and they just make one spot in the middle of the lane...out just the right amount and they'll light up everything around you. I also mount them as high as they will go on the slider to minimise shaodowy spots on the road. I've used them after midnight on a moonless night up on the Talimena Scenic Drive, and switched them off for a moment here and there and the difference was astounding. They punch a big hole in the night.
But I agree about conspicuity too, and I've received lots of comments about how bright they are in broad daylight.

BradfordBenn said:
You forgot to include staying at the same hotel as me :)
Nice to see you made it home safe and sound. Thanks for putting this stuff up.
Yes separate rooms......

Actually Choice Hotel brands like Comfort Inns are a good bet while on the road and their rewards program gets you tons of free nights.

I recognized Brad by his helmet when he walked into the lobby. I was too embarrassed to tell him that all this time seeing his avatar I thought he had slots cut out in his helmet to allow for his ears to poke through. :D Poor guy, I won't even go into the tail on the back.

Brad arrived at the rally several days early to help get it all set up. Special thanks to you and all those who worked behind the scenes to make it a great rally.

I don't own one, but Brad is one of those who rides with an Aerostich suit and one day I'd love to hear the schpiel on what makes those so great. I know those who own them, love them. I should also mention we both ride with Camelbaks which is a must for long days.

Pirelli Diablo Strada

I'll second the comments about the Diablo Stradas. I put a set on just before starting out on my marathon July ride. The bike (R1150RS) was fully loaded with camping gear and stuff, I did a combination of long fast Interstate and lots of curves and twisties, ran them through days of triple digit temps, a couple days of rain and finished up attacking the Dragon a few times on my last day on the road. Just over 10,000 miles on them and the rear is pretty well used up but the front looks like it could go another several thousand and there is no cupping. I was using Michelin Pilot Roads but as of now I'm a convert to the Pirellis.

John

Back