• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

the "Tire Nazi"

beemokat

Bikes, Guitars, and ...
"oh yeah - the Tire Nazi should also tell people up front that they should remove their own wheels - otherwise the work won't be done." - daver90s

Well said D, I could have saved myself a lot of time and stress with a little upfront warning. That said, I really liked Rob, and he worked his ass off. But to work that hard and STILL have dissatisfied customers (I wasn't the only one, I ran into a guy on Saturday morning who had brought his bike over for tires early on Thursday morning with nothing happening except for his bike being moved around) means that there is a BIG problem in the business plan or organization.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I have to agree that his organizational skills leave a lot to be desired. That, and he seemed to be more interested in lecturing on tires than installing them. I thought his last name might be Goodyear, Firestone, Metzler, or something similar. :D

At least I got a chance to wrench on a bike other than my own. :p

Rally vendors

Poor customer care and high prices were the norm.
I found ALL the vendors were there to get rich, and somewhat less than customer oriented.
$2.50 for a bottle of water.
I've been to MANY motorcycle gatherings and swap meets (including Stafford England every year), this was the worst.

The price was high,took mine down at 8 saturday morning,had it ready by noon,he took the wheels off himself.being he was the only tire vendor I didn't expect him to be done any quicker.Seems I remember 3 or 4 tire vendors at Lima.Why only one this year?I to did not see any bargains at any vendor,didn't expect any.

Last edited:
eddie said:
The price was high,took my down at 8 saturday morning,had it ready by noon,he took the wheels off himself.being he was the only tire vendor I didn't expect him to be done any quicker.Seems I remember 3 or 4 tire vendors at Lima.Why only one this year?I to did not see any bargains at any vendor,didn't expect any.

Dang, Eddie. John and I wish we'd known you were there. We trailered our new, little Yamahas and spent much time working the rally (John, at least, got to go on the GS ride). Sorry we missed you.

i had some rubber brought up to me by my gf (stuff i'd HOPED was going to be delivered before the rally) on friday night. i had talked to robert earlier in the week but when i saw how very swamped he was i took my tires to the "no mar" display inside. i took my bike apart in the woods where i was camped and put it back together there. the "no mar" was very impressive and i might consider going in on one with a few friends...............

Bensonhurst said:
Poor customer care and high prices were the norm.
I found ALL the vendors were there to get rich, and somewhat less than customer oriented.
$2.50 for a bottle of water.
I've been to MANY motorcycle gatherings and swap meets (including Stafford England every year), this was the worst.

The price of bottle water was not under the MOA's jurisdiction, those were done by the local vendors. Typically the water is $1 a bottle. Unfortunately we were not allowed to sell soft drinks at the rally, there were even problems with coffee as Rob has mentioned previously.

Water was $1.00 a bottle in the beer tent and O'Doules was FREE... :groovy

Hey Brad, where are the forum frenzy pics?

BMWGypsy said:
Dang, Eddie. John and I wish we'd known you were there. We trailered our new, little Yamahas and spent much time working the rally (John, at least, got to go on the GS ride). Sorry we missed you.

Stacey,I did wonder about you guys.I was looking for the V-Stroms.Would have really like to have ran into y'all.Julie bid on and got a different job a few months before the rally and they wouldn't let her have two weeks off as planned.I rode up and back with a friend.Would have been great to see the two of you.Tell John we said hello.

Last edited:
Hi, All,
I have been to 2 National rallys - 1991 in Flafstaff and 1999 in Rhinebeck. I told myself after Flagstaff that I wouldn't attend another. I felt ripped off and did not feel comfortable there. I took my 8 yr. old daughter and could buy a beer for less than I could buy her a soft drink. Rhinebeck, to me, was much friendlier. I went there because I was already in the area visiting family. With the gripes about prices (and the excuse that MOA, the RALLY ORGANIZER, has no control over the prices), maybe the MOA SHOULD have some say on food and/or drink prices. After all, it's OUR rally. In my mind, if a beer is $1, a bottle of water or can of a soft drink should be the same anywhere on the rally grounds.

BeemoKat said:
I appreciated you & Dave helping me out with that.

As I told you, it was not an issue. It was probably one of the more interesting times I had on the rally site; I could still hear the music at the beer tent, and you know how I like to work on bikes, even if it IS just removing/re-installing wheels. ;)

I guess that's just one of those rally things. It was annoying that the tire guy didn't get your bike done remotely close to the time you were given, but it led to an intersting evening, and I got to meet a few more people while we were over there. Everything has a silver lining!

BMWPhreak said:
Hey Brad, where are the forum frenzy pics?

Unfortunately I was not able to attend as I was busy counting stuff for Awards and Tally, but there should be others with photos floating around.

BubbaZanetti said:
i had some rubber brought up to me by my gf (stuff i'd HOPED was going to be delivered before the rally) on friday night. i had talked to robert earlier in the week but when i saw how very swamped he was i took my tires to the "no mar" display inside. i took my bike apart in the woods where i was camped and put it back together there. the "no mar" was very impressive and i might consider going in on one with a few friends...............
Did you see the No Mar guy demo the mounting/unmounting of the Goldwing tire? I was mesmerized. Amazing product. Gee, BZ, if I didn't live 160 miles away from ya, I'd totally pitch-in for one!

PHMarvin said:
Hi, All,
I have been to 2 National rallys - 1991 in Flafstaff and 1999 in Rhinebeck. I told myself after Flagstaff that I wouldn't attend another. I felt ripped off and did not feel comfortable there. I took my 8 yr. old daughter and could buy a beer for less than I could buy her a soft drink. Rhinebeck, to me, was much friendlier. I went there because I was already in the area visiting family. With the gripes about prices (and the excuse that MOA, the RALLY ORGANIZER, has no control over the prices), maybe the MOA SHOULD have some say on food and/or drink prices. After all, it's OUR rally. In my mind, if a beer is $1, a bottle of water or can of a soft drink should be the same anywhere on the rally grounds.

We (the MOA) are only guests there. We don't own the place and those contracts and franchises are agreed to and the property of the folks who do own the place. I'm just grateful that there was no rule that you can't bring your own beverages onto the property if you wish. Although there were some restrictions.
I noticed that at some of the ham radio hamfests the drinks are sometimes 3.75 for a coke. When you're downtown, you pay downtown prices I guess.

You did good

eddie said:
The price was high,took mine down at 8 saturday morning,had it ready by noon,he took the wheels off himself.being he was the only tire vendor I didn't expect him to be done any quicker.Seems I remember 3 or 4 tire vendors at Lima.Why only one this year?I to did not see any bargains at any vendor,didn't expect any.

I brought my bike over to him at 8 on Friday, still not touched (except by people draping their riding gear and other stuff on it, what's up with that, NOBODY would even think of touching someone else's bike at a Harley rally), after my shift in the beer tent at 9p. Finally got my tools from the far end of the campground and took the wheels off with help from Josh & Dave. Had new tires on at 11:30pm, and paid full price. I was HUGELY tempted to just ride away with them, but I do believe in Karma, and would have had a hard time sleeping.
Also, if I had gotten over on him, I'd have NO right to bitch! ;)

my first and last

PHMarvin said:
Hi, All,
THANK YOU, I was feeling alone in the wilderness.
I thought the rally left a great deal to be desired, it was my first and last.
All the vendors were there to get rich.
I've been riding the back roads of Vermont for over 30 years and that's the main reason I went to the rally. Riding in Vermont was, as always, wonderful but I didn't need a rally for that.

Rally

I didn't make the Rally this year but from the sound of it I didn't miss much as far as the rally goes... high prices, vendors lacking in customer service and more high prices... wish I could have made it for the riding though. Maybe next year....

you missed a LOT!

MEWAYBRIGHT said:
I didn't make the Rally this year but from the sound of it I didn't miss much as far as the rally goes... high prices, vendors lacking in customer service and more high prices... wish I could have made it for the riding though. Maybe next year....

I had one little problem with a vendor, next year I'll know better and make plans differently concerning tires, probably will screw up in some other aspect of planning, and will learn from that mistake as well. I had way too much fun, I will make it to as many of these as possible. I think the people who had a bad time brought it with 'em. (see signature!)

Bensonhurst said:
THANK YOU, I was feeling alone in the wilderness.
I thought the rally left a great deal to be desired, it was my first and last.
All the vendors were there to get rich.
I've been riding the back roads of Vermont for over 30 years and that's the main reason I went to the rally. Riding in Vermont was, as always, wonderful but I didn't need a rally for that.

did you make any friends?

Back