• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Boots.....again

wanderer

Just passin through
I am down to 2 choices. Sidi On Roads or Combat Touring boots. I'm ordering this week. So my question list is short.

Which has thicker leather? How waterproof are the CTB's? I don't mean a rain storm, I mean 3 or 4 days of all day raining (did that in the Northwest earlier this year.) I like the resoleability of the CTB's and I like the unquestionable dryness of the On Roads. I'm having a tough time deciding which of those features are most important to me. I guess if the CTB's really stay dry, that would seal the deal for me. I really, really hate wet feet. I also really hate the thought of getting On Roads and wearing out the soles in a year or 2 for two hundred and sixty bucks and not be resoleable.

I've read every post and review on a half a dozen sites for the last week or so and now I'm down to asking all the LD riders around here. My touring boots see a lot of miles (on and off the bike) and I want to make the best choice possible. THANKS in advance!! :bikes

This is not personal experience. I have been told that the combat boots take a LOOONG time to break in, but afterwards, they are very comfortable.. Again, I've had no personal experience.

Yea, I undestand they are pretty stout which is fine with me. The real issue for me is how well they stay dry.

Kochmann boots

I recently acquired Kochmann Scout. Extremely comfortable and waterproof.

Attachments

• Kochmann.Scout.jpg
    Kochmann.Scout.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 619
On roads are the way to go.

Im on my third pair only because the soles wear after about 45-50k.They are the ONLY boot I have ever had that can claim to be waterproof.Spent hours at a time in downpours and my feet never get wet or sweat for that matter.Ive tried them all and I can only say that I wish the soles were not so soft.The rest of the bbot breaks in quickly and is the softest most comfortable leather out there.Did I mention your feet never get wet?
hope thsi helps,
Jeff

Boots arrived !!

My On Roads arrived today. Really, really nice leather. They feel like they are already broken in the first time I put them on. They also walk like a good fitting pair of shoes. I tried the new line of BMW boots and they all fit me like mucklucks. Just big and sloppy all around, no real shape to them, at least on my foot. I wear a size 14 so a lot of brands/models aren't an option. I mention this because in sizes over 47 Sidi uses a different sole on the On Roads. I guess the waffle stomper sole isn't available to them in the larger sizes. I've read often about the soles wearing pretty fast so I have no way of knowing if the soles I have will be better of worse. Thanks for the responses, I'll report if mine are as waterproof as all I read. I leave Saturday for about 3K solo miles up to Glacier Park and back. I plan to stick to almost all to 2 lane "green dot" highways, should be a great trip and a good boot break in. Again THANKS for the responses. :bikes

lucky substitute

Osaiyid's recommendation brought back a fond memory; I stopped off at the vendor's tent at Lima last year to attempt to purchase a pair of the Kockmann Scout's which he recommended; they did not have my size with them; while leaving the booth I noted their Sympatex boots and tried on a pair; I bought them immediately and have found them to be the most comfortable and practical boot I have ever owned. I probably have worn them in heavy rain for a total of about 10 hours and have never experienced any leaks.

2 years and 60K miles later, including the 4 months of downpoor we got in Californai in 05 and still have dry feet.

PREXPORT is the boot to buy..around $150.00

I also considered the others but chose these because of rider reviews (that were right on).

rollen down the road....

Ksmith57

Why those two boots?

The Combat Tourers have significantly thicker leather than possibly any other motorcycle touring boot - so thick that break in is a serious problem for some (but not all). The Sidi On Roads, unless they've changed something, border on flimsy feeling to me as they lack the armor I want in a pair of boots.

Personally, I'm a bit fan of the Oxtar boots. Functionally identical to the BMW boots model to model, but far cheaper.

A lot of the reason came down to sizing and reviews. I wanted dry feet. I'd like to have more armor than the On Roads for street riding but I couldn't find the combination of better armor in a boot that's reported to be always dry. I have a set of Garne Oiled Expolrers and they walk very well off bike. They do leak though after porlonged rain even when waterproofed often. They eventually wet out and take forever to dry. I also had the largest size made and they were a bit tight. I also wanted a tall boot. I find with most 12" boots I get water coming over the top in a long wet ride. A riding partner wears the Oxtar Matrix and it seems an excellent boot, I just wanted a taller model. I have a narrow foot and the Sidi's are much narrower than the Oxtar's

I just returned last night from a 3K solo ride and had a fair amount of rain, storms, and just wet pavement and the On Roads worked perfectly. I also walked around a museum for 5 hours and they were comfortable for that too.

I think with boots (riding or others as I backpack too) after all things are considered you still need, above all, boots that fit. The On Roads seem like they will work well for this. Size 14 narrow eliminates a whole lot of choices for you before you start unless you want to go custom which I've done a few times. The few times I've gotten custom shoes the fit didn't seem to be much better and the price was insane.

These are some of my reasons, they may not be the same priorities for others. The On Roads are high quality supple leather. I'd guess it's 2.8 to 3mm thick which should offer good slide resistance. Yea I'd rather have ankle pucks but I haven't found a boot that has it all. If I would ever find a boot that I think has enough crush resistance I'm sure I wouldn't be able to take 10 steps in it. It's always a compromise. :bikes

wanderer said:
My On Roads arrived today. Really, really nice leather. They feel like they are already broken in the first time I put them on. They also walk like a good fitting pair of shoes. I tried the new line of BMW boots and they all fit me like mucklucks. Just big and sloppy all around, no real shape to them, at least on my foot. I wear a size 14 so a lot of brands/models aren't an option. I mention this because in sizes over 47 Sidi uses a different sole on the On Roads. I guess the waffle stomper sole isn't available to them in the larger sizes. I've read often about the soles wearing pretty fast so I have no way of knowing if the soles I have will be better of worse. Thanks for the responses, I'll report if mine are as waterproof as all I read. I leave Saturday for about 3K solo miles up to Glacier Park and back. I plan to stick to almost all to 2 lane "green dot" highways, should be a great trip and a good boot break in. Again THANKS for the responses. :bikes

This is the first I've heard about having a different sole on the large sizes. I've been shopping around for a pair for my SO, he needs a 14 too. What sole do you get? The On Roads seem too tall for someone who wears them under jeans. He really likes the "work boot" sole, because he'd rather have something he can walk around in. I have the Oxtar but am unsatisfied with the fit all around, and this is after 3 exchanges. I'd also prefer a more agressive sole on the Sidi.

wanderer said:
A riding partner wears the Oxtar Matrix and it seems an excellent boot, I just wanted a taller model.

Oxtar does make a taller model, the Infinity. It has more of an enduro style to it. I like 'em. But, as you mention, the ultimate measure of teh quality of footwear is how well it fits your foot.

No one has mentioned the Sidi Thunder. I went with them after many years of satisfaction with the On Roads. They are a bit sturdier than the On Roads and more convenient to put on with the zipper. They also fit under pants better.

Scott

The Infinity/Savanna is (I hear) an excellent boot. But Oxtar is, as I understand it, in the midst of a U.S. vendor change and I couldn't find a pair ANYWHERE, neither brick and motar nor online. I don't remember for sure but I think they also stop at a size 47 and I need 48 or 49.

I tried on a pair of close out Savanna's in a 47 but my foot never would have shrunk into them as much as I wanted the $100 discount!! I think I would have gone for the Infinities if I could have found them but the fact still remains that Oxtars in general seem to run wider than Sidi. It's really a bummer when you read up on boot after boot and then try to buy them and they stop short of your size. Most (not all) of the BMW line both old and new stop at size 47. I tried on some Dainnese (sp?) man they were nice boots, just what I wanted ...they stop 1 size too small. That's the primary reason for my top post about CTB's or On Roads, they both get great reviews and go to U.S. size 15. :bikes

Frank

Yep, it's the picture of the Thunder sole. Darn I just can't remember who, but one of the major internet sites notes with an * that the On Roads in 14 and 15s have a different sole that is the one on the Thunders.

Frank , have you had your Thunders long? How are the soles wearing?

wanderer said:
I believe I got the picture attached. I saw the different sole mentioned on some vendor site. Motonation was unaware of it but it definately is different.

http://www.newenough.com/product_pictures/s/sidi_thunder_boots/sole.jpg

Credit respect is due the fine folks at New Enough.

Thanks for the info. I have been happy with the products from New Enough, and their frank product reviews and extensive pics are great!

Back