• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hot Weather Riding Gear

HELLIOTT

I know this may seem a bit late in the year for a lot of you, but in central Florida, it's still in the high eighties, and that calls for hot weather gear.

Yesterday, I rode AIA (coast highway) form Cocoa Beach to Melbourne Beach and saw people riding in bathing suits and sneakers -- they weren't all on Harleys, either. I know that most of you advocate riding in full gear, no matter what, but have you ever ridden in 96F with high humidity?

I'm becoming a born-again BMW rider and want to wear full gear, I just don't know what to wear without a dehydration problem and sweat in my eyes.

Yesterday, I was in Draggin' Jeans, Harley boots :cat , a t-shirt, Brosch summer jacket, and Schuberth Concept helmet. I was HOT.

I've read all the threads about cold-weather gear, but haven't found any hot-weather gear threads. Is there any help out there?

Hall

It gets hot and humid in St. Louis too. I've had good luck with the Mesh jacket from First Gear. The pants work fine but I usually use the overpants for the daily commute and the mesh pants over shorts for longer rides. I've got a Schuberth helmet and still haven't figured out how to get the vents to work behind a K1200LT windscreen. Remember to drink lots of water.

For highway travel, full gear will help keep you from wind burn and dehydration too- you are much better off with your jacket on and vents open. Sounds like you have the right kind of stuff. A wet bandanna around your neck, or one of those aftermarket cooler thingies (basically a $45 wet bandanna around your neck) will also make a big difference.

Don't forget your baby powder :yow .

Coincidentally, I had this exact conversation with a VA State Trooper this July while he was writing me a ticket.

Originally posted by lancew A wet bandanna around your neck, or one of those aftermarket cooler thingies (basically a $45 wet bandanna around your neck) will also make a big difference.
Or you can get the same thing for less than $2 in the sporting goods department at WalMart. I think it is called a Cool Tie, or Aqua Cool, or something like that.

Thanks for the hot weather suggestions. I also went back and looked at the paperwork that came with my Darien two piece and it suggests putting ice in the pockets.

Hall

A Camel Back is a nice touch for staying hydrated when it gets really hot. Strap it on your back or in your tankbag and you're good to go. Also, when it gets really ridiculously hot and humid like 100+ I, dare I say it, leave the bike at home. ATGATT can just be downright miserable sometimes, but I don't leave the house without it.

hot weather riding gear

Living in the Florida Keys I kinda know what hot & humid is and I ride with Firstgear leather meshtex jacket and their meshteck pants. I also have a 3 ltr camelback and that seems to do it for me.
If it gets too hot, I either go ride early in the morning or not at all .
The dogdays of summer are: August and September and are gross :eek

Back