• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Virgins in Vermont..??

R

raven

Surely there must have been riders visiting Vermont for the first time.

What surprised you in our little State?

raven said:
Surely there must have been riders visiting Vermont for the first time.

What surprised you in our little State?

Does it count if we hadn't been there in 30 years, and didn't ride back then? I was amazed that anyplace in the "east" could be that rural, pretty and uncrowded. Seems like we found roads that just no one else was using.

My first time in Vermont. What surprised me was the number of cows per capita. Seems like more than even Wisconsin. All I can figure is that Ben & Jerry's need a LOT of milk.

John

Hmmmm, where to start?

- Friendly, courteous people
- AWSOME uncrowded roads
- Incredible mountains
- Smuggler's Notch
- Cider Donuts .... yeah, can't forget them :eat

We had planned to bum around New England after the rally and initially went straight to New Hampshire. We loved Vermont so much that we went back for another couple days. Can't wait to go back.

We are home in Delaware not and the reality of returning to work tomorrow is setting in. :cry

Not my first time in the state (my Dad went to St. Mike's), but it had been about 25 years since my last visit as a teenager.

The thing that really stood out for me is that the whole state seemed to know about the rally, and everyone I met was curious. I left the rally early Saturday morning, and stopped for breakfast in Shoreham, VT. It's a tiny town - really nothing more than a few buildings and homes - along Rt 22A, about 45 miutes south of Burlington. The locals inside the restaurant were all asking me how I liked the rally and were curious about my bike. They even warned me of some approaching weather as I was leaving.

I was personally surprised at the amount of water. Along with the big lakes, I was happy to see many roads that ran alongside rivers and tributaries. There was even one next to a very old inn and restaurant that was breathtaking. I could have ridden past that all day.

The maple sugar cotton candy was delish.

Everything had a very cozy feel that I miss already. The locals that I met were all very friendly and inviting.

dancogan said:
Does it count if we hadn't been there in 30 years, and didn't ride back then? I was amazed that anyplace in the "east" could be that rural, pretty and uncrowded. Seems like we found roads that just no one else was using.

Come to NY State and you will find much more of the same..

If you want to come back to Vermont the 3rd weekend in September, the BMW MOV is holding our annual Green Mountain Rally - check the When and Where for details. More good roads, and we feed you well - even have dorms to sleep in if you don't want to camp.

Muriel

There was no SNOW!! Sure could of used some to cool down during the hot and humid ride up!

Rick G

My first time in Vermont. I went through Conneticut, Ri, Mass., New Hampshire, Maine, back through New Hampshire to Vermont. Including camping at Lake Sebago in NH, I have to say Vermont was exquisite.

I'll be back.

Dan

DcnDog said:
My first time in Vermont. I went through Conneticut, Ri, Mass., New Hampshire, Maine, back through New Hampshire to Vermont. Including camping at Lake Sebago in NH, I have to say Vermont was exquisite.

I'll be back.

Dan

Sebago is in MAINE, do you mean Winnepesaukee in NH, perhaps?

iRene said:
Sebago is in MAINE, do you mean Winnepesaukee in NH, perhaps?

Irene, found me out! I am in a state of confusion. Yes, Sebago and in Maine. Great place to stay. However, New Hampshire was a good ride (looking at the map so I get this right) on the Kancamagus Hwy.

Dan

DcnDog said:
New Hampshire was a good ride (looking at the map so I get this right) on the Kancamagus Hwy.

Dan

Beautiful road with the exception of two or three construction sites.

Did anyone venture up Mt. Washington? As a novice, it was a little nerve wracking for me but I'm glad I did it.

Virgins in Vermont

Did anybody take advantage of riding up the Mt Mansfield toll road at Stowe that was reopened to our Rally attendees after being closed to the general motorcycle public for many years?

Friedle

Friedle said:
Did anybody take advantage of riding up the Mt Mansfield toll road at Stowe that was reopened to our Rally attendees after being closed to the general motorcycle public for many years?

Friedle
No! Wish I'd known (and had the time)... I've been up that road several times in the past to access and hike the great Long Trail.

Other drivers

I loved Vermont because:

1. It was the first time I have ridden my motorcycle to an MOA rally-I have a 3 yr old and we dropped her off in Detroit-I HAD to trailer my bike from Memphis Tn to Detroit then I got to ride!!

2. I was not scared for my life while driving in Vermont-other vehicles were not on my bumper the whole time and they knew what a blinker was!!

3. Everyone we met wanted to tell us where to eat, drink, and ride

4. I would love to retire there(or Maine). :bikes

bmwmotowoman said:
I loved Vermont because:

1. It was the first time I have ridden my motorcycle to an MOA rally-I have a 3 yr old and we dropped her off in Detroit-I HAD to trailer my bike from Memphis Tn to Detroit then I got to ride!!

2. I was not scared for my life while driving in Vermont-other vehicles were not on my bumper the whole time and they knew what a blinker was!!

3. Everyone we met wanted to tell us where to eat, drink, and ride

4. I would love to retire there(or Maine). :bikes

I have to agree with you on this. I rode from Toledo, Ohio, through Detroit, into Canada, and across to Montreal, and then the rally. Once I cleared Michigan, it seems blinkers started to work, again. The drivers in Vermont were MUCH better with their signals, although a little slow for me. That's my problem, of course. :D

I'm now looking forward to next years rally; which will be my second. Since I'm young, I hope to make it to another 40, at least. :bikes

Back