• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Incidents?

SheRidesABeemer said:
Enjoy your stay in lovely Errol, they have internet access in Errol?
I hope you mean Trenton, ONT. Happy travels.
The Errol Motel, 11 rooms, has wireless. That is good because there in no, zero, none, zip for cell phone service here. The guy at the motel desk said that if it was really important, there is a place about five miles up the road, at the top of a rise, where most folks can get a signal. Yes, it is Trenton, Ontario. I cross into Canada this AM for the Loonie Reunion.

Good to see you in the Beer Garden, and your daughter. /hijack

tb

marlycoe said:
Tom Steele...
Did you by chance used to live in Bethesda, MD? If not, sorry to bother you.
Phew, finally got that whole registration thing worked out.

I lived in Bethesda when I was three years old (1968), but not since then. I did live in Garrett Park until '97, though.

Blowout

Sorry to tarnish the rally safety record...My wife and I had a rear tire blowout on the way home from the rally. Monday morning on I90 just outside Erie, Pa. We ride an R1200 CLC. Rear tire blew at cruising speed and before I could control the fishtailing and come to a stop we went down. :banghead Chose to low side it and come down on the left side. No one ahead of us or behind us, thank goodness. Landed in the slow lane and someone helped move the bike to the side of the road.
Can't say enough for the assistance we received. Bystanders making the 911 call, ems, fire and state police. Long story short, my wife came out of it with only sore muscles and I broke my left fibula (lower leg small bone). Used our BMW roadside assistance, paid all the recovery expenses. Had my son bring my trailer to haul us home. Two points to be made here: had we been on a lesser bike I believe we would not be so lucky. ATGATT- Yes, we had all the gear on and it saved our butts. Left jug is scarred from road rash, left hard case also scarred. Mirror is scuffed, tire is toast.
Tires are bridgestone. Gonna replace both tires, need your advice on replacement tires. As I said, CLC, two up lots of the time, what brand and model tires do you think?
Tim & Sue

buckeye said:
Sorry to tarnish the rally safety record...My wife and I had a rear tire blowout on the way home from the rally. Monday morning on I90 just outside Erie, Pa. We ride an R1200 CLC. Rear tire blew at cruising speed and before I could control the fishtailing and come to a stop we went down. :banghead Chose to low side it and come down on the left side. No one ahead of us or behind us, thank goodness. Landed in the slow lane and someone helped move the bike to the side of the road.
Can't say enough for the assistance we received. Bystanders making the 911 call, ems, fire and state police. Long story short, my wife came out of it with only sore muscles and I broke my left fibula (lower leg small bone). Used our BMW roadside assistance, paid all the recovery expenses. Had my son bring my trailer to haul us home. Two points to be made here: had we been on a lesser bike I believe we would not be so lucky. ATGATT- Yes, we had all the gear on and it saved our butts. Left jug is scarred from road rash, left hard case also scarred. Mirror is scuffed, tire is toast.
Tires are bridgestone. Gonna replace both tires, need your advice on replacement tires. As I said, CLC, two up lots of the time, what brand and model tires do you think?
Tim & Sue

Tim I used to ride a CLC...I recommend the ME880. I have been really happy with Metzler. I had two nails in six months on my rear tire. First nail I didn't know I had. Got on the bike in the morning after work to head home. Didn't do a proper pre-ride check having just ridden to work 12 hours earlier. Tire was flat. Didn't even notice it when I walked out to the bike. Approaching the bike from the left...don't really see the tire well. Since I park it 4 ft from my office door. Anyway....got on the bike and only noticed it acting a bit spongy during turns. Pulled into the next service station....1 mile away and check the tire....flat flat flat. Rode really nicely even flat. Granted...a blowout at speed is a different story altogether. Dad and Mom went down on his R69S when I was a little tike due to a rear blowout. Same deal. Lowsided at 70mph. Walked away.

Glad you made it out with only minor injuries.

Again incase you missed amongst my babble....I strongly recommend the ME880. Great Tire.

ASM, Inc put on an Accident Scene Management seminar at the AMA/FIM International Women's Conference in Athens, GA earlier this month. If I recall correctly it was a 1-1/2 hour seminar - shortened from their two day training course. It was one of the few very best seminars I've ever attended.

I was sufficiently impressed that I intend to try to get the local Kansas City club(s) I belong to to bring the whole training session to KC for a weekend.

I have not yet researched cost, minimum attendees, etc. but will sometime in the future. It looks like a great way to spend a cold blustery weekend in the winter.

I recommend the ME880 Also.

Glad youwere not hurt worse.

Heal fast and follow the directions of the doctors....

PGlaves said:
ASM, Inc put on an Accident Scene Management seminar at the AMA/FIM International Women's Conference in Athens, GA earlier this month. If I recall correctly it was a 1-1/2 hour seminar - shortened from their two day training course. It was one of the few very best seminars I've ever attended.

I was sufficiently impressed that I intend to try to get the local Kansas City club(s) I belong to to bring the whole training session to KC for a weekend.

I have not yet researched cost, minimum attendees, etc. but will sometime in the future. It looks like a great way to spend a cold blustery weekend in the winter.

Paul, they did one in VT, too. It was excellent. About 1 1/2 hours, and it's enough to make me want the long version, as well as a CPR/First Aid course.

"First Responder" actions

While not a pleasant subject to discuss publicly, I am very proud of "Belquar's" response to a nasty "scene." The most important thing is that he "got involved," instead of joining the minions of "Looky Lou's."

At future major rallies (MOA,etc) it might be possible for licensed trauma nurses and paramedics to publish their cell phone numbers, ONLY in case the 911 system (local aid) wasn't responsive to our needs. Even if a medic can't get there physically rapidly, they can offer worlds of advice.......

These folks did an awesome job under the circumstances......... :usa

Shep Brown
Lifeflight 2 Pilot
Mobile, AL

Cell phone opportunity

With the advent of almost everyone having a cell phone comes a helpful feature. Go to your contact list for entries, hit space, then ICE. this will make the first contact show as ICE, which stands for " In Case of Emergency". Otherwise it will be alphabetical and might be missed.
Then put in the phone number of whomever you want contacted if you tragically cannot. I am also an EMT, and this fairly new developement is one that we look for at accident scenes.
I personally have ICE and ICE TWO on my cell. My wife and I are each others ICE, and someone from my home area is #2.

Jim Faucher
Beer Garden CoChair :drink

I have spent $5 and gotten dog tags from dogtagcity.com that have my contact info on them. Figure they are small and people will look at them. Plus don't have to worry about someone finding a cell phone that might not be connected to me.

Back