• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

$$ Local Economy

mike cousino

robnye said:
It is and always be a private party which happens to drop over 4 million dollars into the local economy.

I figure (and have most of the receipts to prove it) that my wife and I spent about $2000 this past week on expenses and purchases directly related to the rally. Of that, about 50% went to vendors that (less their expenses) took the money home. So, I am the average age and income of a BMW owner and say I spent the average amount per person. There were 8000 attendees.
8000 x $500 = $4,000,000
Damn, your figures are right on! How did you know? :thumb

Iits probably higher :) personally I spent about $2.000 and so did the guy I shared a room with. I support Vt... :dance

mike cousino said:
I figure (and have most of the receipts to prove it) that my wife and I spent about $2000 this past week on expenses and purchases directly related to the rally. Of that, about 50% went to vendors that (less their expenses) took the money home. So, I am the average age and income of a BMW owner and say I spent the average amount per person. There were 8000 attendees.
8000 x $500 = $4,000,000

Local Economy

mike cousino said:
8000 x $500 = $4,000,000

Hello Mike,

We can count, add, subtract, multiply and divide too in addition to throwing a damn good rally! :D

Friedle

Most of what I spent last year (Stayed home this year) got spread around. I didn't actually spend a dime outside the gates in Lima last year (except for one fuel stop), but did purchase all meals from onsite vendors and bought a small amount of stuff from other vendors (but nothing over about $35 or so except for pair of boots). Then there were the three nights I spent in a state park lodge in southeastern Ohio, plus some meals there. A hotel on the way up one night and another night on the way back. A turn signal lens in Louisville. Several hundred dollars of parts and accessories needed for the bike and rider to be totally ready for the trip, spent at various sources via internet or local purchase. And the big one, LOTS of fuel purchased all along the way.

But no matter where it gets spent, it goes into the American economy at large and I'm glad there are a bunch of us doing it.

mike cousino said:
So, I am the average age and income of a BMW owner and say I spent the average amount per person.

I have to ask. What is the average age and income of a BMW owner?

snobs?

On our way out sun morning down by St. Michaels College we were touched by the sight of an old man
with a cane standing in the rain, waving goodbye to the bikes, beside a hand
painted sign that read "so long motorcyclists, come back soon".
We felt welcomed everywhere I went, and I was proud to see that Vermont
did not see the need to assign police to a gathering of 9,000 people.
WE did OK for ourselves, thanks again Michael and all other MOA staff.

PMARCEL said:
On our way out sun morning down by St. Michaels College we were touched by the sight of an old man
with a cane standing in the rain, waving goodbye to the bikes, beside a hand
painted sign that read "so long motorcyclists, come back soon".
We felt welcomed everywhere I went, and I was proud to see that Vermont
did not see the need to assign police to a gathering of 9,000 people.
WE did OK for ourselves, thanks again Michael and all other MOA staff.

Wow, wouldn't that be a picture to have! :thumb

Back