• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where does Vintage begin?

donkey doctor

Hello; I have a 77 R100/7, is that vintage? Does it have to be pre/5 to be vintage? or is it pre /2?

I want to know.

Vintage

Any vehicle over 20 years old is eligible for Historic Plates here in Michigan. Here is a pic of my 1971 R75/5. Not quite finished yet. :)

I think the definition depends on whether you talk to the /2 guys or the /5 guys.

:)

The Vintage Club says 25 years, and I think that AMCA says 35 years. California has a vintage plate for 25+ years, as does Washington state. And in California, you can get a Year of Manufacture plate registered to a vehicle if it's before 1962 (that is, find an old plate from the year the vehicle was made, and if the numbers aren't in use, you can register it).

oldbeemers.jpg

Darryl,

I think that's the first time I've seen all your bikes together! Where's the RS?

The RS? I have two. The teal one had too many miles on it to be of trade interest when I bought the blue one. So now it is in storage in Heidelberg, Germany.

two%20opposed.jpg

Darryl, my wife and I are sending a sympathy card to you later today, to express how sorry we feel that you have to ride those ancient bikes. :D

And thanks for taking the video camera bracket off the old RS. That thing looked hokey.

I'll be watching my mail for the card.

The video cam mount was hokey. And it beat up my video cam, too. But it gave better shots than the other mounts I've tried.

Congrats on being a "Diaper Dude"; when did that happen?

"It's better to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast one."

Back