• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Any speed traps to avoid?

U

Unregistered

This question is for you the locals.. I can not afford another ticket !

Isaac

I think we all like to have a "spirited drive" now and again, but...

Thinking of what kind of impression we will leave with the locals as well as the local "authorities" may be something to think about in regards the MOA's national reputation...?

Do not know....Just a thought... :dunno

see-
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=11741

-Kutch

I ride Vt's roads amost every week....

and if you speed recklessly you will get nabbed. You really have to choose your spots and even then your chances are good at getting nabbed. The State police are armed to the teeth with radar , radio other goodies and have many little hide a places. Furthermore they are on high alert cause they know i'ts a big bike fest.

I'll throw in a little tip that will surely help you with the state police.....

DO NOT BLOW THROUGH ANY SMALL TOWNS... DO THE SPEED LIMIT !

westmount said:
DO NOT BLOW THROUGH ANY SMALL TOWNS... DO THE SPEED LIMIT !

Wise words, speeding fines are a big source of revenue for the little towns.

...esp right neat the rally site, Essex Jct is specific about speeding, and there is lots of traffic around. this afernoon was tough with the setting sun, so watch out...

Unregistered said:
This question is for you the locals.. I can not afford another ticket !

Isaac

Speed traps in VT? Where? :)
First one is the construction on Route 89 between exits 10 and 11. There is usually a state or local trooper posted at either end of the construction zone. There has been a trap between exits 14 and 16 as well.

Route 17, the gnarly hill climb between 116 and 100 into waitsfield has also been targetted for extra enforcement, especially going east. The sport bike crowd has been using it as their personal race track, scaring old ladies, running down squirrels and generally being a nuisance trying to prove who's has the biggest pipes but the smallest cylinders, if you get my drift.

100 through Waitsfield tends to be slow as well. Watch out for traffic pulling in from stores, as my old K75RT to it's maker last summer here.

See you Sat afternoon. Anyone for a triple gap run?

speed traps

After 30 years enjoying Vermont's mountain roads, we've seen a big uptick in law enforcement, particularly by local sheriffs hired in by municipalities for contract patrol. Mid-sized and larger villages have their own local police forces, so carefully mind those 30-40 mph zones. Locales notorious for traps include Island Pond, North Troy and Hardwick, all in northeast Vermont. Generally, 5 mph over limit in villages and 9-10 mph over on state/rural roads will get avoid LEO's attention.

Little-known fact: you can pass on double lines in this state, provided you're 200 feet from intersection, curve, crest of hill. This is an anachronistic law from when farm vehicles were more common. We don't like to advertise this point too much. Still, use caution and you might still get a careless driving citation if observed.

Vermont is behind the times, and that's a good thing. But suburbia life styles are creeping in, wanting more local service, including police patrols, who have exploited federal homeland security grants to get the latest radar toys. I rode past two Hardwick cops last week who were hidden in a cornfield, out of the patrol car, with handheld radar.

If you want grand prix riding, seek lightly trafficked roads. State cops generally stick to the interstate and main state routes (especially Route 100). Enjoy our highways and watch out for the moose and deer, especially after dark,

chris, abc 4819, R100RS, R80RT

a good way to avoid speed traps is to ride with someone faster than you. you can wave as you go by them getting their ticket. it's fun!

my dad calls those kind of people "bear bait."

Back