• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Take The Long Way Home

Better route

Rather than going to Rutland, you could take Rte. 4 to Rte 100 and really have a great ride.

Blitzkreig said:
Seems that one could take I89 all the way to Burlington, but since Vermont Is Not Flat, what's the fun in that ride? Decided to get off at Exit 1 and take Route 4 thru Woodstock, Killington and over to Rutland. Then I will pick up Route 7 North thru Middlebury, New Haven Junction, Shelburne and in to Burlington and a slight detour back to Essex Junction. These are bits and pieces of rides suggested in the guides for VT.

I'd avoid Rte 4 through Woodstock on Sunday, you'll be walking your bike through.

woodstock RT4

SheRidesABeemer said:
I'd avoid Rte 4 through Woodstock on Sunday, you'll be walking your bike through.

Would RT107 south to RT100 north be a better route on Friday afternoon?

Another alternative, if you go the rt100 to rt17 and over the rt 17 gap, instead of going on to rt116, at the bottom of the gap, look for a road on the right marked - Huntington/Richmond. Take this great back road thru Huntington and then into Richmond. Great places to eat (I live in Richmond, go to the Bridge St Cafe). In Richmond at the light (there is only one, take a left, go 1 mile and just after going under the Inerstate, take the first right (rt117 - River Rd). This will take you along a great ride alongside the Winooski River and bring you directly to the Fair grounds.

Brian

GSCookeMnster said:
Another alternative, if you go the rt100 to rt17 and over the rt 17 gap, instead of going on to rt116, at the bottom of the gap, look for a road on the right marked - Huntington/Richmond. Take this great back road thru Huntington and then into Richmond. Great places to eat (I live in Richmond, go to the Bridge St Cafe). In Richmond at the light (there is only one, take a left, go 1 mile and just after going under the Inerstate, take the first right (rt117 - River Rd). This will take you along a great ride alongside the Winooski River and bring you directly to the Fair grounds.

Brian

Thanks Brian this look great.
Any other suggest for us people coming from the south would be very apperciate. (nothing like a locals view, Than Mr.McNally)

Blitzkreig said:
Brian - this road is not marked on my map, but is it the road that goes thru Hanksville, then Huntington and finally makes it way to Richmond? Looks real isolated, better gas up when available I assume?? :brow

Blitz,
Yes, that's the road. It's a real nice twisty road. I run up to the gap in the evenings lots of time from my home in Richmond, just off from this road. Its really not that isolated, just normal for Vermont. There is gas in Waitsfield before going over the gap, gas in Huntington and gas in Richmond. Its only about 16 miles from Richmond to the base of the gap.

Enjoy. I'll be working as a volunteer at the rally tomorrow and at Registration on Thursday morning. Say hi and let me know if you enjoyed the road.

Brian

Blitzkreig said:
Brian - this road is not marked on my map, but is it the road that goes thru Hanksville, then Huntington and finally makes it way to Richmond? Looks real isolated, better gas up when available I assume?? :brow

That road is torn up for a few miles just before Hanksville to Huntington. Depends on if you don't like dirt.

Dirt??

Unregistered said:
That road is torn up for a few miles just before Hanksville to Huntington. Depends on if you don't like dirt.

can this dirt be confirmed by a registerd user?

the R100s doesn't mind harrd back. But the R1100 following will not be happy due to his experence level.

They just finished paving the stretch in Hanksville on Monday. It's smooth riding now. (It's one of my ways home from work in Colchester, over the App Gap then back over the Lincoln Gap).

Back