• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Metzeler Radial 880.

Mr. Frank said:
Does anybody have experience with the Metzeler 880 radials on an oilhead RT?

I have had two sets of Metzler 880's on my 2002 R1150RT and I love them:D

Despite what some may say, the Metzler 880 has about the same "holding power" in the corners as the MEZ4 on the RT (I have punished them on the Dragon!) but, they last a whole lot longer in the mileage department. I have over 14,000 miles on mine.
I have tried Dunlops, and Bridgstones and nothing touches the Metzler 880, although I have heard some good things about the Michelin Pilots.

My two cents worth!

Yes. I use them on my R1150RTs. Those are my preferred tires. However, the 880 rear tire is not available for the 18" R1100RT wheel.

After spending close to $1000 dollars on three sets of tires on my R1100RT last year, I switched to M880 tires on my RT. I replaced my R1100RT 18" rim with an K1200RS 17" rim so I could use an M880 on the rear. Older K1200RS bikes came stock with a 5" x 17" rear rim and later BMW offered a wider 5.5" rear option. So you may be able to find a 5" rim available at your local BMW dealer. I bought mine for $250. They are about $500 new. This rim bolts on with no modification. However, it requires 4 shorter 55" bolts.

Ken,
I found a wheel just recently, now I'm anxious to wear out the D205's on my R1100RT so I can mount some 880's.
I'm SURE you meant to reference the 55 mm bolts and not 55" bolts. :idea The original wheel bolts were 60mm.

Mick :)

Good catch....they are 55mm bolts.

I talked to Paul and Voni Glaves at the Falling Leaf Rally on Saturday. I last seen Paul at Engle Motors in KC where I was purchasing an M880 for my RT using at K1200RS rim. Knowing Voni would have a change tires on her R1100RS during the Ironbutt, I offered my rim to Voni. Paul took me up on the offer, however was able to find a K1200RS rim on Ebay for $225. He mounted M880s on Voni's R1100RS before the Ironbutt. Voni participated in the Ironbutt and as of Saturday, Voni had 14k on the front and rear.

For some of you that followed the Ironbutt, it may interest you to know that Paul was able to fix Voni speedometer that stopped working during the Ironbutt. Thanks to a GPS, she was still able to record her mileage. With her speedometer fixed, her R1100RS is very close to turning 300,000 miles. Maybe the highest mileage oilhead in the world.

Voni told me it was the drive on the front wheel were the speedometer cable connects.

I see. We had a problem with Tina's one time and it turned out that the flanges on the wheel that drive the sender were bent.

Most likely, it was the result of a hamfisted wheel installation.

:uhoh

Ken wrote:
>With her speedometer fixed, her R1100RS is very close to turning 300,000 miles. Maybe the highest mileage oilhead in the world.

And Big Red did register 300K on the ride home from Falling Leaf. Just 4 miles from where the cam chain tensioner rail broke at 166,000 miles.

Thanks to my great mechanic, Paul, Big Red and I really celebrated yesterday ;

Voni
sMiling
)
:clap

Attachments

• 300k.jpg
    300k.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 769
Frank wrote:

>Anybody have any rain experience with the 880?

I had more than I wanted - in traffic in the East. Not a worry once.

And the Deal's Gap bonus did let me test the dry adhesion of these tires. No worries there either.

Voni
sMiling
:wow

Voni's 300k

So Voni, besides racking up 300+k on your R1100rs, I have just one question.
How many weeks did it take?:wow
Ed Moore
Still have broke 10o k on my 76 R75

Voni,
Congrats on the 300K :clap

Are you using the Radial 880 or the Bias ply 880? A buddy of mine went to the Bias ply 880's on his K12LT and went to about 15K miles with no problems.

Mick

Lots of rain experience!

Mr. Frank said:
Anybody have any rain experience with the 880?

Oh yes, I have many many many miles of rain experience with the Metzler 880's on my RT and all I can say is I have experienced straight and stable miles ridden with them. Now, if you want my opinion on the worst riding tires in the rain, just reply to this post and I am sure we can start a tire war debate among the throngs :D

Ride safe and keep the rubber side down! (Regardless of tire brand).

Ed wrote:
>So Voni, besides racking up 300+k on your R1100rs, I have just one question.
How many weeks did it take?

Since I got Ruby in the spring of 1993, that's about 540 weeks.

Voni
sMiling still
:wow

Back