• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Still No Start

thomaswoodley

R1100r 1998
ok, Dave I replaced intake tubes. new battery, plugs.
fuel is there, strong turnover, good spark, bike will start after it is warm or I have been riding. will not start after sitting overnight. I been using starter fluid to start it and then it runs great.
When I try to start it cold, it sounds like it is trying to start and is similar to how an engine sounds when it is flooded. This bike is not flooded. Any suggestions will be apreciated. Thanks:confused: :confused:

yesiwood said:
R1100r 1998
ok, Dave I replaced intake tubes. new battery, plugs.
fuel is there, strong turnover, good spark, bike will start after it is warm or I have been riding. will not start after sitting overnight. I been using starter fluid to start it and then it runs great.
When I try to start it cold, it sounds like it is trying to start and is similar to how an engine sounds when it is flooded. This bike is not flooded. Any suggestions will be apreciated. Thanks:confused: :confused:

Sounds to me like your choke doesn't work. I would check that out.

...RLK

RLK,
BEING FUEL INJECTED, THERE IS NO TRUE CHOKE. The idle increaser is in good working order, I did check that to see if the cable was binding. Thanks for the suggestion.
Does anybody know if there is a temp sensor that may be sending the wrong signal to the computer for a cold start?
I have not had the bike hooked to diagnostics yet.
Been riding all day today without a problem. But in the morning, the bike will not start.....
Thanks for any suggestions on this peculiar situation

There are actually two temp sensors: one on top of the engine measuring oil temp, and an air temperature sensor on top of the airbox. I imagine if these both failed, then the starting mixture might default to 10% richer than normal, and I don't know if that's enough to cause this problem.

Are you positive that the valve clearances are set correctly? Tight exhaust valve clearances could cause difficult starting and a bike that won't idle when its cold. It will also reduce gas mileage 20-30%.

thanks Jon,
I will have the bike on the computer next week to check for bad temp sensor readings and so on.
I have thought about the valve situation too. But it has only been less than 2000 miles since they were last adjusted. I also have not seen a drop in fuel usage. NO worriy, I will double check the valve adjustments tomorrow to make sure. You are not the only one that has mentioned this as possibile cause of my problem. Funny though that it just started doing this overnight. I would expect that if it were a valve issuse, I would have noticed a gradual more difficult start and so on. But I haven't.
Thanks again...

You are right valve adjustment will only go bad if something gets broken or lost, like a locknut. Other than that there will be a gradual change in engine performance.
The Temp sensors would be my guess too as electrical gremlins just tend to show up out of nowhere:evil .Just hook up the bike to the computer and see what may be out of whack.
Good luck getting yor bike repaired as nothing is more aggrevating than having a start problem. But from what I have read you seem to have covered all the bases

yesiwood said:
RLK,
BEING FUEL INJECTED, THERE IS NO TRUE CHOKE. The idle increaser is in good working order, I did check that to see if the cable was binding. Thanks for the suggestion.
Does anybody know if there is a temp sensor that may be sending the wrong signal to the computer for a cold start?
I have not had the bike hooked to diagnostics yet.
Been riding all day today without a problem. But in the morning, the bike will not start.....
Thanks for any suggestions on this peculiar situation

Agreed, eventhough the pictorial shown on the lever is that of a choke. If it runs OK when warm but doesn't want to start when cold, I would guess that somethings wrong with the enrichment system. The biggest clue you gave is the use of starter fluid to get going.

...RLK

Rider 1150RT,
Thanks for the reply. Supposed to take the bike this afternoon and drop it off at the dealer (sic). It will spend the night there so they will have it cold the next morning. I will be there to make certain it gets looked at first thing Tues morning.
Yea, I have done all I know to do mechanically to try and solve this situation. Hopefully the diagnostics will find the problem and provide a solution. I am hoping it is a sensor.
Thanks for everyones help. I will post the findings of the dianostics.

U2 Ride Safe

> BEING FUEL INJECTED, THERE IS NO TRUE CHOKE. The idle increaser is in good working order, I did check that to see if the cable was binding. Thanks for the suggestion.

RLK-IIRC the cable is connected to a switch at the other end which sends info to the FI. At least I seem to recall this from a INSP I or II, that the output voltage of the enrichment circuit was checked and OK.
Then again, I could have imagined the whole conversation!

We have an R11RS and the choke works by pulling the throttle butterfly partially shut. Since the TPS is hooked to the throttle plate, this would affect the voltage seen through the TPS. Our other oilheads work pretty much the same way.

Does that make sense?

Thomas, did you ever find out what the hard starting problem was? I have a similiar problem on my 94 r1100rs and was wondering if my problem is the same as yours.
Thanks.
Larry

no new ideas for you... but i LOVE it when someone actually uses the search function to try and (re)discover a solution!!! (it's even worse when it's something totally common, like "what oil should i use" or "how many miles on a tire" type of question, as those seem to get asked every 3 weeks or so!)
dude- find me at TOR-Paonia (black R11S with red flames), and i will buy you a beer!! You ROCK!!:brad

bikerfish1100, there is nothing more frustrating for me then these posts where no one follows up on the conclusion. Lots of folks with similar problems could be helped or at least given some new ideas for attacking a problem. Who knows, this rider may still be around and finally let us know what the conclusion was to his (and probably my) problem.

Compression, have you checked it?

Starting fluid can screw up an engine. I have seen an engine where it blew a spark plug out, and heard of another engine where it bent the rods.

I'd put a hold order on tearing into the engine.

Is the fuel pump powering up? Fuel filter good? Do you have quick disconnects on your bike? External fuel filter?

Back