Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Direct from the horse's .......mouth aka ask the chair

GSBliss

2003 National

Mike,
    will there any rides aimed at us GS owners who may wander off of the pavement from time to time?

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Michael Friedle

There will be organized GS rides on the Hatfield McCoy trail system (check out www.trailsheaven.com for more information about the trail system) led by state authorized guides who will be putting together package deals for our attendees.

We tried to find a local GS rider who would be willing to lay out some dirt road rides, but nobody stepped forward to take on the job. There is no lack of interesting dirt roads in WV, but without local knowledge and/or a good map it is easy to get lost.

The state of WV has set up this fantastic trail system exclusively for off road riding. Not being able to find anybody willing to take on the GS ride Committee Chairmanship, we have decided to arrange with a couple of outfitters to provide what should be a unique opportunity. More details will be forthcoming on the main Rally web page link to GS riding soon.

We are also making the same sort of package arrangement for whitewater rafting opportunities.
    Ride fast safely

Another video?

Thanks for asking!

We purchased the 1999 Rheinbeck (Saving the Best for Last) rally tape and continue to enjoy watching it. It was that video that convinced us we should attend our first rally last year. It's a great memory for those who attend, and a great marketing tool for getting folks interested in attending.

Any chance that "Almost Heaven" will be documented with a video?

Michael Friedle

The Rhinebeck Rally video was indeed a fine effort and a great introduction to the typical BMW MOA International Rally experience. It is still available from Whitehorse Press and other outlets.

That video however, was not produced by BMW MOA, but rather by a private video production company. That company also has produced videos for the Americade Rally and will this year be shooting a Rally video for the Honda Hoot in addition to Americade. They identified a profitable market with our video, but won't be available to do a Charleston video. If you know another company who might be interested in documenting the Charleston experience, feel free to contact me off forum.
    Ride fast safely

I won't to be able to go to the WV rally this year but looking ahead to 2004. Where and when will the 2004 National be?
    I know you aren't supposed to tell but I can keep a secret.

Well John, it looks like we have an answer. Page 56 of the BMW ON April 2003 issue: David L. Hough "Destination Highways"

He mentions a lot of BMW riders are going to be heading for in the State of Washington next year. Spokane?

Question National Rally Security?

Hi Mike,

Thanx for the site map--it gives me an idea about the layout of the Rally. I still have some questions though:
    1. How are we going to handle the campsite security? All the previous Nationals were held in one location, with one fence around the Rally. Security was not too hard since we had pretty good control on who went in+out. Heck, among fellow Beemer riders, I never worried about taking my keys out of the ignition or about the safety of my gear in the tent. I still don't worry about my fellow BMW riders, but it would seem that I will have to worry about a lot of other types of folks that will be able to be around our Rally sites. Three different camping areas,the Civic Center vendors/shoppers, and the attached parking areas--thats a lot of area to keep track of. Local riff-raff could have a lot of "collectables" to choose from at our Rally. That's one problem that I have with a Urban Rally........
    2. Another concern is about the BeerTent and transportation. I like to drink my beer, but I have learned that I cannot ride after drinking my beers. The one-site rallys really don't have as big a problem with "affected" riders since nearly all of them are camping @ the Rally and as long as Security helped them to their tent, everything was OK (except for the following morning). We are going to have a lot of busses/trams/wagons to provide safe transit to our participants, and I wonder how we can keep some of our fellow BMW from making a big mistake. This worries me, because I have discovered in my 29 years of Rally fun (15 Nationals) that a lot of Rally-goers use the National Rally as their one chance to "blow it out" for the year. Away from home, away from people that would know them in their non-bike life, away from responsibilites, significant others, and other anchors of the workday world. The party will go on, the trick is to get everybody through it.
    3. Who would we need to get in touch with if a group of BMW riders should ride up to Charleston to check things out around May? Several of us folks in NC might like to go up there and eyeball the site during one weekend. Any tips would be welcomed.

These are some of my concerns--I love going to the Nationals, but the BMW National Rally is a different type of national rally. Most of the people camp, there is a sense of community caused by the masses that are crammed together in a sea of tents. In a lot of ways, our Nationals are a bit like Woodstock-loose and somewhat disorganized, with a lot of people doing a lot of fun. Maybe that is why I look forward to the National: more like Woodstock than a bike show.
    Onward, through the fog!

Michael Friedle

Hello Rev Willie,

Thanks for the questions. Here are some answers.

1) Security was a big concern of mine when assessing the potential of the Charleston rally site. As for the camping areas security: For the quiet and family area, there is only one entrance to the area. MOA security and Charleston police will control access. The area is about 20" below the adjacent road, which has no shoulder for people to pull over onto to stop or park. At the U of C, we will be using the main campus gate with security from MOA volunteers, campus police and the Charleston police. At the hilltop area, again there is only one way in or out so access can be easily controlled. Parking at the Civic Center is in attendant controlled parking structures, but there is a $3 charge per vehicle by local law. Across the street is the Charleston Town Mall with a six level parking structure. The Mall has given us the use of the entire 6th level, FREE, and will provide security for our bikes. You won't be able to get on or off the 6th level without showing a wristband. As for stuff in and about your tent, I would suggest taking the same precautions you might take when camping at a KOA or a state park. Keep your valuables inside your tent, out of sight. Charleston has the lowest crime rate in the nation for a city of it's size. Contrary to some people's speculation, it is not populated by the cast of "Deliverence".

2) A lot has already been written in this Forum and in the ON about the free evening shuttle buses to provide for those who would like to share a few beers with their friends, but not have to ride their bikes. If you are really worried about it, then just set up your tent at the U of C where the walk to the Beer Tent will be short.

3) If you plan on visiting Charleston prior to the Rally, I would suggest stopping into the Charleston Convention and Visitors Bureau office in the lobby of the Civic Center. They are open during normal business hours. Very helpful people.

The MOA Rally staff of volunteers work very hard to ensure our International Rally will NOT be like Woodstock. If you think Woodstock was a fun time, you obviously weren't there. It wasn't really like the movie or Joni Mitchell's song. The music was fantastic, if you could hear it, but the rest of the experience was a hungry, chaotic, unfocused and muddy mess of human and vehicle traffic jams. Not exactly the sort of experience we are planning for in Charleston.

See you in July
    Ride fast safely

lonewolf

Thumbs up

I look forward to getting to the rally. It should take only 30 minutes from NYC, driving safely, no less Would you post a list of places to stay near the rally site. Also any scenic routes would also be great. Thanks.

Lonewolf

Thumbs up National Rally Security

Thank you for the reply Mike!

-It does sound like the family camping/quiet zone and the hilltop camping areas will be pretty secure (one entrance/exit helps a lot). Still wondering about the U of C camping area, but I'm sure that things will work out fine. Yes, I probably will stay at UC, but I will make sure that I am far enough away from the Airheads to get some sleep.

-My point about shuttle service is that we will need enough vehicles to provide efficient transportation for the rallygoers, and we will need that service to continue until the wee hours of the night. If the last shuttle leaves at 1 AM, I think that you might leave a significant number of folks stranded at U of C. I guess that a 2 AM cut-off might work OK.

-The reference to Woodstock was more symbolic than realistic. Our rallys usually ARE "gatherings of peace and love", not chaos and misery. Of course, I have been at some rallys that resemble the real Woodstock (the Loretta Lynn National in '81 comes somewhat to mind [dry-not wet],along with some Daytona experiences). We all want a gathering of friends at this National, and I think that you and all the other Chairs are working real hard to make this one a winner. I look forward to being one of the volunteers at this Rally, and making my#16 one of the best Nationals in MOA history. Right now, my favorites are: #1 Redmond(2001)/#2 York(1989)/#3 Shreve(1982)
    Onward, through the fog!

New qusetion(maybe):

What will be the registration set-up at the rally? I saw in another thread, on non-member attendance, that the main rally registration will be at the Civic Center. I plan on camping at UC, and will arrive somewhere around 8p.m. on Fri. night. Will registration at the Civic Center be closed? What is the procedure for getting into the camping area at UC? Does my late arrival mean I will need to pre-register as opposed to registering when I get there (yeah I know I'll save $5 by pre-registering)? Simply put, I'm coming to the dance late and want to get in. What do I have to do?
    BTW, I am familiar(but not all-knowing) with the layout of Charleston, so I know all of the stuff is pretty close together.

Gar

After Hours Arrival

The usual procedure for those campers who arrive after the Registration area is closed for the night is as follows.

We will permit you to enter the camping area and set up your tent for the night without a wrist band. The next morning when you leave the camp area, you must go to Registration to get your wristband to be permitted back onto the camp ground to get back to your tent or to attend any of the Rally events.

Don't worry, we won't make you camp on the sidewalk outside the Civic Center if you don't get to Registration in time.

Ride fast safely

What time will registration close?

Rally registration hours

Wednesday, for Rally volunteer workers, 2-5 pm

Thursday and Friday, for all attendees, 8am-8pm

Saturday, for all attendees, 8am-5pm
    Ride fast safely

Thanks!

Quiet and Family Campsites

This will be my first national BMW Rally. Dumb questions follow...

- Are the Quiet and the Family campsites separate? (I know some families that are NOT quiet!)

- Is there a sign-up sheet for campsites, or is it first-come first-served?

- Are there maps of the campsites available?

- Are there laundry facilites provided or nearby?

Ed Bianchi