• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Direct from the horse's .......mouth aka ask the chair

Friedle

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair
There are a lot of rumors floating about regarding the upcoming 03 "Almost Heaven" BMW MOA International Rally in Charleston, WV.

What questions do you have about the Rally?

What would you like to see at the Rally that you haven't seen before?

What suggestions do you have to make the Rally better?

What would you like to know about the area?

Here's you chance to ask the questions and get the answers direct from the horse's....mouth. :idea

Go ahead, ask whatever's on your mind. See you in Charleston.

Rally questions

Mike -

I have two questions. Can we see a map of the rally layout posted here and with that the shuttle route/schedule.

Thanks,

Rally map and shuttle route

Hello Tina,

The Rally site map should be posted to the bmwmoa.org Rally web pages already. There should be two maps, one of the downtown Charleston area and the other covering the Charleston area vicinity.

The shuttle buses will run a loop that will connect the Civic Center with the U of C, where the beer tent will be located. The buses will run along the streets where most of the hotels are also located in downtown Charleston on the way to the U of C. The exact route will be set by the municipal bus people to serve as many attendees and campers as possible. I should also mention that the service will be free. All you need to show will be your wristband to get on board.

I won't to be able to go to the WV rally this year but looking ahead to 2004. Where and when will the 2004 National be?
I know you aren't supposed to tell but I can keep a secret.

2004 location

So can I. :)

Attachments

• Arrives.jpg
    Arrives.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 2
  • Mine.jpg
    Mine.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 2
2004 location

Gee Michael, is it OK with you if I use your answer from now on? It's not covered by any copywrite is it?

Don

Attachments

• 9CF54B01-055E-409C-ADD0-1124782CFFEE.jpeg
    9CF54B01-055E-409C-ADD0-1124782CFFEE.jpeg
    888.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1E5664A1-B3AC-4DF0-9C72-9A881540FEC2.jpg
    1E5664A1-B3AC-4DF0-9C72-9A881540FEC2.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 48A2A701-B15F-4D8E-90CC-E3EBD9DEF7BB.jpeg
    48A2A701-B15F-4D8E-90CC-E3EBD9DEF7BB.jpeg
    513.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 6EE4C9B6-0CFB-47FE-BC7A-F721D0A3C5A4.jpg
    6EE4C9B6-0CFB-47FE-BC7A-F721D0A3C5A4.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 0
Re: 2004 location

Don Hamblin said:
Gee Michael, is it OK with you if I use your answer from now on? It's not covered by any copywrite is it?

Don

Hello Don,

If I told you it was OK to use it, then I would have to kill you.

Oh wait, that's your "other life" answer. Never mind.:)

shuttle buses

I should have noted that the free shuttle bus service will be available in the evening only, when most people will be going over to have a few beers and listen to the music. If you are riding over to the beer tent to have a few beers during the day, then you probably already have experience at doing that anyway, although I would highly discourage mixing riding and drinking.:clap

Attachments

• 93CA1D12-0319-4EB0-8A8C-CBCBABBA81FD.jpg
    93CA1D12-0319-4EB0-8A8C-CBCBABBA81FD.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Marina profile.jpg
    Marina profile.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Marina.jpg
    Marina.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Sunset.jpg
    Sunset.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 1
widebmw said:
I won't to be able to go to the WV rally this year but looking ahead to 2004. Where and when will the 2004 National be?
Seems to me that this info is already public knowedge. I remember an article in the MOA news that had info in the presidents or directors minutes. I wonder if anyone at the MOA office can do a search for this. I am too lazy took look through last years news.

Rally Schedule

Just wondering when the schedule of rally events will be posted. Also, which vendors will be attending. I think this is going to be an expensive rally if there is a good showing of vendors :thumb

Michael Friedle

Scheduling of seminars is still ongoing as is the response from vendors making it impossible to post these yet.

These aren't the sort of things you want posted before they are ready, especially the schedule of events which is subject to change as more things are added. I wouldn't want somebody to see a time and date for an event, make their plans around that information and then find out it has changed later.

The schedule of events and the list of vendors will eventually be posted to the Rally web page.

We are expecting a record turnout of vendors for this Rally. We have about 90,000 square feet of airconditioned, indoor, secure professional exhibition space with the sort of support facilities for the vendors we have never been able to offer before.

Pay down the balances on your credit cards before you come to Charleston.:bliss

2003 National

Mike,
will there any rides aimed at us GS owners who may wander off of the pavement from time to time?

Michael Friedle

There will be organized GS rides on the Hatfield McCoy trail system (check out www.trailsheaven.com for more information about the trail system) led by state authorized guides who will be putting together package deals for our attendees.

We tried to find a local GS rider who would be willing to lay out some dirt road rides, but nobody stepped forward to take on the job. There is no lack of interesting dirt roads in WV, but without local knowledge and/or a good map it is easy to get lost.

The state of WV has set up this fantastic trail system exclusively for off road riding. Not being able to find anybody willing to take on the GS ride Committee Chairmanship, we have decided to arrange with a couple of outfitters to provide what should be a unique opportunity. More details will be forthcoming on the main Rally web page link to GS riding soon.

We are also making the same sort of package arrangement for whitewater rafting opportunities.

Another video?

Thanks for asking!

We purchased the 1999 Rheinbeck (Saving the Best for Last) rally tape and continue to enjoy watching it. It was that video that convinced us we should attend our first rally last year. It's a great memory for those who attend, and a great marketing tool for getting folks interested in attending.

Any chance that "Almost Heaven" will be documented with a video?

Michael Friedle

The Rhinebeck Rally video was indeed a fine effort and a great introduction to the typical BMW MOA International Rally experience. It is still available from Whitehorse Press and other outlets.

That video however, was not produced by BMW MOA, but rather by a private video production company. That company also has produced videos for the Americade Rally and will this year be shooting a Rally video for the Honda Hoot in addition to Americade. They identified a profitable market with our video, but won't be available to do a Charleston video. If you know another company who might be interested in documenting the Charleston experience, feel free to contact me off forum.

Well John, it looks like we have an answer. Page 56 of the BMW ON April 2003 issue: David L. Hough "Destination Highways"

He mentions a lot of BMW riders are going to be heading for in the State of Washington next year. Spokane?

Back