• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How long do clutches last?

R

RIDERR1150GSADV

There has been some talk about tranny failures but how about those Clutches? How many miles can you expect out of a clutch on an Oilhead or K bike?
The assumption will be that there is no towing involved or if you do tow let it be known so everyone can get an idea of how long things last under normal use.:dunno
I am personally not worried about it as I rarely let the clutch slip,
and drive a stick shift box.:cry

Last edited:
I got 85000 out of my 94 RS. Swapped it out myself, fairly simple process, but time consuming.

Harry

We got 55K out of the one in our 94RS. Same experience for me as Bronson. Not a difficult job, but time consuming.

Originally posted by rider1150RT How many miles can you expect out of a clutch on an Oilhead or K bike?

Clutch wear can only occur during slip, and that occurs when you start off in first gear and during up and down shifts.

Other than that, a clutch can last a very long time. If you are really smooth, they can last almost forever.

KBasa said:
Hi Alex!

:wave

How was Europe this year?

Very good. I just can't seem to get enough of the Alps. Work is really interfering with my lifestyle!

I also ended up going on an Eastern Canada tour in August. I finally got to see a bit of my own country with a ride along the Gaspe, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia coastline on my way to the Cabot Trail. From there, a hop over to Newfoundland and Labrador. Riding nearly 700 miles of gravel was a different kind of touring for me. My Kawasaki KLR 650 was a highly enjoyable mount for this trip.

03121.jpg

Pics of both tours will be up on my web site...soon I hope. I still have to get as much riding in before the snow flies up here in another two or so months.

Back