• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Oil Change ??

mosrrt

Tomorrow I am doing the 6000 mile oil and filter change . MAX BMW is going to do the valves and throttle bodies . I hope by 12,000 miles I will be doing my own valves and TB . Is there any advice/ tricks for draining the oil ? I know checking it and getting a good reading takes some time. How long should the oil drain for ?? I am using BMW filter and 20w50 Castrol .
Mike

Ride your bike around for 10 minutes or so.

Put it on the centerstand and open the oil pan drain. Let it drain until it's got just a teeny, tiny little thread of oil coming out or it's just dribbling a drop now and again.

Put the plug back in and move the drain pan over to the oil filter. Remove the old oil filter, making sure you get the rubber gasket that goes between the filter and the case. It usually comes out attached to the filter, but sometimes it doesn't.

Fill the filter with oil and install it. Just snug it up tightly, you don't have to kill it. I usually spin it on so it's hand tight and then use the filter wrench to give it another quarter turn. Before you put the filter on, run a bit of oil on the edge of the rubber gasket. It'll seal nicely that way. Just put your finger in the drain pan and run a little around the seal.

Fill the bike with oil - watching the oil window as you fill it.

Ride it around for a bit, then park it on the sidestand for a bit. Put it up on the centerstand and check the oil level again. Add oil if necessary.

In my experience, you don't need to do much to the TBs on the hexheads. Adjusting the valves is easy and I think Jim von Baden put up a nice post about how to do so. If you can't find it, PM him.

When I've adjusted the valves on my hexheads, the intakes haven't changed at all, but the exhaust valves have been just the slightest bit tight.

Plug and filter torque

I was told by a mechanic the proper torque for the plug was 25 ft/lbs and for the filter 8. It seems to be ok.

Keep in mind, once the engine is broken in they will usually stabilize at a certain oil level in the crankcase. It may not be at the full mark but as long as it is not below the add mark don't sweat it. If you have to keep adding oil just to bring it up to the full mark after just about 100 miles or so, check to see if it will stay at the same level if you leave it alone. Some engines will just blow or throw out the top pint or whatever of oil until the level gets to the point where it's comfortable then it will stay the same for quite some time. Just don't let it get below the add mark.

Oil change completed ...all went well .... I have been changing oil, my own, on cars , trucks and motorcycles for 40 years . I have found out that there can be a difference with different engines . This BMW boxer is a new deal for me ...
Thanks for your held.
Mike :wave

Oil change completed ...all went well .... I have been changing oil, my own, on cars , trucks and motorcycles for 40 years . I have found out that there can be a difference with different engines . This BMW boxer is a new deal for me ...
Thanks for your help .
Mike :wave

I would add more more thing to do before you drain your oil on your RT.

I would put it on the side stand for a few minutes before putting it on the center stand. It helps get the oil down to the bottom of the pan for diffent nooks and crannies... :dance

Knowledge is power

I know this is an old thread, but unlike our "youngens" on kiowapilots.com I actually do research before asking questions. I've recently purchased a BMW R1200RT (2005) and I am a NAZI when it comes to specs, proper maintenance, proper training, (I'm an Army Helicopter Pilot by trade you can see the need for precision)...
well you will be glad to know that I'm a BMW MOA member and forum member and I was looking for the torque settings for the filter and plug on my R1200RT and couldn't find them anywhere on the internet but my google search landed me right back here to forums, boosting my confidence quite a bit on the integrity of this site as a resource.
cheers.
reece

You have to ride the bike around enough to get the thermostat on the oil radiators open and circulating. The oil can cool down to 100 degrees and still drain good. If it is above 145 degrees you can get burn't.

Always have the oil filler cap off before you pull the drain plug. It will cause the oil to flow freely in a steady stream, no more mess when it surges coming out.

Be careful with the BMW oil, at $19.35 a quart you don't want to spill any.

I can tell you one thing for shure. I won't be using any $19 oil ! Got a gallon of Castrol 20-50 V-twin for something like $13-$14 last oil change.

I can tell you one thing for shure. I won't be using any $19 oil ! Got a gallon of Castrol 20-50 V-twin for something like $13-$14 last oil change.
I had the same thought yesterday when I bought 4 quarts of oil to do my next oil change.. but before using a brand other than BMW's oil, I want to be absolutely certain that the oil I use meets the requirements BMW has for oil in my engine so there can't be any warranty problem down the road.

Dunno about the Castrol oil - it might be just fine. Check it to see if the approvals are SG-SH (and NOT SJ/SL or higher..) That's what BMW wants in their engines due to the increased extreme pressure additives used in the earlier rated oils.

BTW - since I'm not sure if the Castrol is a dino oil or synthetic) - BMW sells a non-synthetic at 1/2 the price of the synthetic stuff. Was $9.95/quart as of yesterday at the dealership. That is an approved oil for hexhead engines.

The Castrol was sg-sh rated and was dino oil. I only have 5000 or so miles on this bike. I will probably go to synthetic at 15000 or so. I got it at Pepboys and I used a BMW filter. About $30 for both oil and filter.

BMW has reduced the price of their BMW synthetic oil, 15W50, to $12.83/ qt MSRP as of 11/8/08.

So Jack, think I can return the $20/quart stuff and buy the $12.83/quart stuff? :)

I wondered about that...heh
Guess it depends on the relationship with the dealer. But the dealer did have to pay the greater cost before 11/8.
And but also, if I were the dealer, I would consider the 28 bucks a small investment to make for the good will resulting from it.

Back