• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS hard starting solved (?)

knary

looking for a coal mine
My 01 1150GS has been fairly hard to start for as long as I've had it. It often took more than three attempts to get it to tick over and not die - and always required a little throttle for a bit to keep it going. "Come look at my nice fancy bike. Come see how long it takes me to get it running..." I always had to use the fast idle lever at the highest position whatever the ambient temperature was. Once warmed, it was fine.

Yesterday I did two things to the bike. This morning, one press on the starter button and the bike was up and running. As well as being easy to start, it seemed to running smoother. I am *very* pleased.

What I did:
1. installed Champion RC9YC plugs gapped to 1 mm. I went to a local Napa store intending to get either the Champion or the Autolite plugs. They had the Champions in stock - total cost $2.90.

2. water torture. The bike has a mild oil consumption problem. It does not drink regularly, nor with any discernable pattern. But it has burned a fair amount, producing the expected amount of carbon buildup and so the curative powers of water seemed in order. I have used the "water torture" on other vehicles with apparent success.

Which solved the hard starting? I don't know, though I lean towards the plugs.

me very very happy

Hmm...

Hey, Scott - would your first choice have been the Autolites? I'm picking up mine tomorrow since Napa had to order them in.

Also, what's the water torture? You hydroblasting your cylinders through the plug hole or something?

S

Re: Hmm...

syeager said:
Hey, Scott - would your first choice have been the Autolites? I'm picking up mine tomorrow since Napa had to order them in.
I had no real preference. Both plugs (though actually 3, as the Autolite is the 3922 or 3923 depending on who you ask - 3922 being the closest in heat range to the 1150 spec) had been widely reported to effect positively the running of many oilheads.
Also, what's the water torture? You hydroblasting your cylinders through the plug hole or something?

S
Water torture is the questionable practice of introducing some water into the combustion chamber while the bike is riding.

Here's an ADVrider thread describing it...
Does your pig pin? Try water torture

Water Torture

Water torture is the questionable practice of introducing some water into the combustion chamber while the bike is riding.

Wasn't something like that used on WW II bombers?

fish said:
Did you OVAD and TB sync too?

TB synch and valve adjustment had been done previous - a few weeks ago.

FWIW, OVAD is, IMHO, a bit over the top. I've done the hyper-anal valve adjustment and I've done a 'regular' valve adjustment. The bike ran the same. All I can imagine for those who find OVAD to be a break through is that they were exceedingly sloppy before. I dunno. I'm still relatively new to the oilheads.

I do know that my bike starts and runs better these past few days. :bliss

Scott,

Just for fun, why not put your old plugs back in and see if the hard starting returns ?

Craig Cleasby
South Windsor, CT
96k1100LT 101000 miles
2004 GS 6500 miles

Back