• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Restoring just the inside of a gas tank?

CaptDistraction

Hi,

I have an R60/2 with original paint and pinstripes in pretty good condition. However, the inside of the tank not only has sludge from gas that sat in there for who knows how long, but the original red liner is bubbling and peeling off. I know there are places where I could send it that would do a complete repair involving removing all the paint and cutting the tank open to replace the liner, but would I would rather do, if possible, is find someone or a shop who has the experience to clean the tank and re-line it without removing or damaging the original paint on the exterior of the tank. If anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way. I know of POR-15 and that may be the right approach, but this is not something I want to do myself - I want to send it off and get it back ready to go. Thanks!

David

I was looking at Bob's BMW website today because I'm getting set to send my R75 heads off. They advertise tank recoating.

There is an aircraft product for coating the inside of tanks. It's used in the homebuilt planes, too. I think it's called Kreme. Go to your local airport and talk to the mechanic.

pilot said:
There is an aircraft product for coating the inside of tanks. It's used in the homebuilt planes, too. I think it's called Kreme. Go to your local airport and talk to the mechanic.

Kreme is also a motorcycle product; I've seen it in a lot of motorcycle shops.

Dave H

Kreme is easy to use

I recoated the inside of the tank off of my /5. It had been sitting full of gas for over 20 years when I bought the bike. The kit was easy to use and I am highly satisfied with the result.
You mentioned that you didn't want to tackle this job yourself, but this product is pretty easy even for a novice DIYer.
I purchased it at the local Hogley D emporium.

tank cleaning

try this... place some small sharp rocks in the tank..probably about 30. Then get two bungee cords. Attach one to each end of the tank. Attach one to an immovable object..car bumper, etc. Then grab the other end and shake the tank around. Make sure the bungee coards ar every very secure. The rocks will loosen the crap inside the tank and remove the liner... Then use a metal prap and tank liner like Por-15. The neighbors will think you are crazy, but keep a cold beer handy and take a sip periodically...

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I think I'm going to go with the service provided by Bob's BMW - they will do all the work, acid wash the tank, and then re-line it with a red liner material that will look like the original, and most importantly for me, they will preserve the original paint and pinstripe on the exterior of the tank, all for $155. I'm happy to get my hands dirty on the rest of the bike, but for the tank I'd rather leave it to someone who does it on a more regular basis. Thanks again!

David

Hi, The post about doing it yourself is correct, It really is not difficult. If You have Bob's do it, make sure to get them to state they guarentee no damage or "drips" to the outside of the tank. I had a R65 tank with just perfect paint lined at Bob's, and when I picked it up there were 2-3 noticable drips of the liner materal on the outside. When I brought this to the service mgr's attention, his response was something to the effect of " well, you have to expect that something like that could happen, didn't they tell you that when you brought it in?". I was a bit ticked, and told them that I would have done it myself if I was told that when I brought it in! Anyway after much b----ing, and having to go directly to Bob, they kept the tank, and were able to sent it out[?] and the marks were for the most part removed,[but I can still see where they were]. I have since done 3 tanks mysel, and it really is not difficult. I masked the top area around the neck real well and was just careful. I used nuts instead of rocks, but same effect. You can probably do it yourself for 35-40 dollars. Give it a try. rj

I recoated the inside of my /6 tank with Kreme 3-step treatment. It was still 1/3 full of 20 year-old-gas and goo when I got the bike. Kreme was easy, and the tank was only off the bike for a night. I am very satisfied. I got it for about $35 at the Harley shop.

Back