• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

CA. to Newport,R.I. and then to Rally!

Polarbear

Polarbear
I have to make an overnight stay in Newport,R.I. for Daughters Graduation from US Navy Officer School there on Wed.night, Thursday morning. I hope I can find my way to Essex Junction by days end Thursday. Any locals from around there(Newport) :) want to share some good roads to rally. I'll probably get away from Newport around middle afternoon. I think it is about 275 to rally site, going direct. All places in Newport are booked for the evenings in mention, so I'm staying somewhere around there unknown, as of now. The Navy Quarters are taken, arggg. I guess this is big event and I'm glad to have the opportunity to visit such a historic area, as Newport for such an important event for my Daughter and me. I'm most likely the only parent showing up for this occasion, from across the nation in CA., on a motorcycle. My girl will appreciate this, as she was my travelling companion on the Beemers of past, throughout her teen years, until 18 at which time she enlisted. My little Beemer Girl has done me real proud(now 23), as a future Navy Officer and already accepted into their Fighter Pilot Training in Pensacola,etc. As a regular BMW Rally attendee in her earlier years, I'm hoping she finds her own Beemer soon! She is looking. I'm trying to get her to come with me to Vermont, after graduation. We'll see. Maybe some Beemphiles around Newport want to ride, with a left coaster. Only in geographical locale, I'm very Republican. I'll keep my politics out of my m/c life, sorry! Happy Trails, Randy13233

to the rally

hate to say it, but rt 2 over to 91 then up 89 looks like the best way. Stay away from Boston and wait to do that back roads till you get up in Vermont. The closer you get to Boston the more like "city" it gets. You can stop in Springfield and see the Indian m/c museum... This might be only 275 miles, but it is a good hike.. Congrats to your daughter BTW... john shuck ex-1Lt. US Army Ordinance, Westport, CT

Hey now,

I used to live in Newport. Send me a PM and I might be able to help out with some suggestions on a place to stay. Unfortunately this time of year Newport is very pricy.

From Newport the fast way is a minimum of four hours. This is all slab.

If you can take eight hours a better way would be to go over the Newport Bridge and head up to 295 > 146 to Worcester, then 122 north to Rt 2. Go west on 2 to Charlemont. Find 8a north to VT 100. Go north to the rally.

Best,

Thanks

Thanks for tips. Thanks for Kudo's,1st Lt.. Yep, I've heard from Jessica(daughter there) in Newport that things are pricey for overnighters. I'll get by somehow and have been known to spend 250-300$ for a room before! Better be good, though and I'm sure it would/will be. I will avoid city stuff, as CA has plenty of this and I need no more of it. Bean Town used to have pretty interesting downtown, but I've not been there in 25 years. I'll probably just get to "Rally". I've got a really great BMWON story brewing in my travels this time around so stay tuned. Classic bike and some returning memories from a previous "same bike" trip, 28 years ago. Yep, I'm still riding the same bike. Others, too! Thanks again, Randy13233 :)

Back