• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camping/eating Questions

S

SNOONE

For those of you that will be camping can you give me an idea of what you do about meals.. Do most people cook or do you go out for meals.. If you cook do you buy provisions near the rally or load em up from home.

I think I read in another thread that no open fires are allowed at the site.. Are there cooking pits, barbeque grills etc. :eat

snoone said:
For those of you that will be camping can you give me an idea of what you do about meals.. Do most people cook or do you go out for meals.. If you cook do you buy provisions near the rally or load em up from home.

I think I read in another thread that no open fires are allowed at the site.. Are there cooking pits, barbeque grills etc. :eat

At most of the larger BMW rallies are seldom held at a location which allows fires. Some people have a small cook stove to make coffee in the morning or perhaps heat up something at night, but for the most part people either eat the food available from the rally food vendors, or go off-site to sample local fare. In Vermont there will be free coffee every morning, which for me is much easier than making my own at a time when I need it so badly. :D

Food...

Omnivores, opportunistic feeders can fare well in Vermont.

:brow Raven :brow

At Lima the only food I brought was a big bag of dry-roast peanuts on which I snacked throughout the day and on the road (it was only two pounds but I still had some left when I got home 11 days and 3200 miles later). I made all my meals from the on-site vendors and the only problem I had with that was making up my mind which to have, as they were all pretty good. I didn't try the German-food stand though, but it must've been good because the line was always REALLY long (which is why I didn't get in said line).

Eating Questions......

Grocery stores are not so far away, good sized one on Suzie Wilson Rd 1/2 mile west on 15, another 2 miles east on 15 in Essex Center, the same found anywhere super/duper big box stores on 2a 3 1/2 miles south at Tafts corners...........................

McDonalds, Dumbkin dounuts, pizza joints and ethic can be found within 100 yards or so from fairgrounds on 15................................

Restaurants are abundent in Downtown Burlington, on Williston and Shelburne rd in South Burlington..............And of course there are some nice joints peppered about Vermont..................

Oh....a person could skip B&Js torch a fat one, flashback to those student stoner days and hit the Dairy Bar on the UVM campus.......................

If you're on a budget, the amount of things you can make with boiled water is astounding. Grocery stores are as close as across the street from the rally.

Most folks find a restaraunt or eat at the vendors on site, though.

I always;

Have carried my Coleman Peak One stove, as a really good packer and heater for quick hot food, drink, etc. Even so, I have rarely used it enough to warrant carrying it so far. I pack it for old time sake, I guess! By the time you go buy your provisions for a quick meal, heat it up, eat it, clean the mess, put it all away and time wasted in all this, you could easily save time and money eating out wisely. Of course some meals out are $$$$$, but you get what you pay for. You can't fix Steak and Lobster on a camp stove easily! Like one other said, it is usually a quick heater for hot cocoa, coffee, etc., without leaving campsite. :eat

Who needs food when there is the Beer Garden?

:drink
snoone said:

Snoone- I'll be camping at the Sherpa Mayberry site, wherever that may be. My first rally and I will be totally dependent upon the food vendors and local eating establishments for sustenance. I'll be happy to join you in the quest for food, when not pouring at the Forum Frenzy or Registration Thursday pm. Will there be a meeting of the Grateful Thread or just impromptu gatherings amongst the ongoing festivities?

bobsmith7 said:
:drink

Snoone- I'll be camping at the Sherpa Mayberry site, wherever that may be. My first rally and I will be totally dependent upon the food vendors and local eating establishments for sustenance. I'll be happy to join you in the quest for food, when not pouring at the Forum Frenzy or Registration Thursday pm. Will there be a meeting of the Grateful Thread or just impromptu gatherings amongst the ongoing festivities?

You know us Grateful Threaders. We get the serious munchies. Could strike at any time so there will be plenty of opportunity to scavenge to sustainance. We'll be joining the establishment at the forum frenzy and I'm sure we'll get together but no set time or place has been determined.

you can eat cold food, too

a can of sardines is a good meal, or a can of tuna fish with crackers.
buy a salad and eat that, no need for a stove.
I carried one for years without using it. I still have 2 in the garage for 'emergencies' whenever that will be.

Sure, if you go on a trip thru Africa, a stove it good.

In the US, with a food store in every town, in most gas stations, eating is not a problem.

Even if you don't eat one day, so what ?

The next meal will really taste great.

Leave your stove at home when you go to a rally.

Camp Food

I usually carry hard cheese, like a chunk of cheddar, and a roll of Ritz Crackers for those times when I am hungry and no place to eat is available or I just want to picnic. The cheese will keep unrefrigerated for a week or two, it just weeps a little. Fresh fruit like apples and bananas are good to have too. Just buy one or two while traveling, and buy more when camping for a few days in the same place. Water or beer washes it all down. Cookies are good too. Those new tuna packs (tinfoil?) seem good and smoked oysters or clams make a nice meal for me as well as the above mentioned sardines. I like peanuts too. Bush's baked beans come in small cans with a tear off top. I have found that keeping it simple and not trying to duplicate home or restaurant food is easier (that's why you are traveling on a bike for a different experience, right?). I also buy most of my meals out, but try to always have a few meals in the saddle bag just in case.
If you are with several people, you can get a loaf of bread, some lunch meat, sliced cheese, head of lettuce, bag of chips and eat it all for the one meal. Cheap eating.
Bill

Munchie solution

Bear Naked (Brand Name) Makes an awesome all natural granola that comes in a resealable pouch. It has whole Pecans, almonds & walnuts in it along with cranberries and raisins. Perfect fit for the tank bag for those on a tank to tank mission where you grab a hand full at 80 mph. Makes an easy breakfast or late night snack.
Available at Safeway out here (Oregon)- company is based in CT. Check out www.bearnaked.com
Only trouble I've found with this stuff is you'll want to keep eating it because it's that good.
Enjoy

get 2 cans of dinty moore beef stew and keep them in you camping food saddle back. one bigger 2 person size and the smaller one guy size, real cans not microwave single serving deals

cut the lid 80% of the way around, bend up to use the lid as a handle fold over each side

heat on stove, close to fire, or just eat cold

to be honest, if you are enjoying yourself, whatevr you want to eat will taste good.

I don't care if its a $100 steak or a pack of hotdogs on bread between 5 guys .

Cold dinty moore? Not me! Great food for camping, but it helps if heated. Actually, I've found while camping, any food tastes great, even ravioli in a can. No fires are allowed, so you'd have to also pack a small stove.

Might consider something like heater meals (can google if really interested), self contained meals with warmers as part of the package, but not exactly the best for limited packing if you have no space to spare.

If it's anything like last year, there are plenty of restaurants locally, plus a lot of vendors. If it's hot, you might enjoy the air conditioning a restaurant may have to offer.

Camp to Eat/Eat to Camp

My main thing when traveling is: I don't care what I eat as long as it doesn't come from a chain restaurant. One of the great simple pleasures of traveling, particularly by motorcycle, is sampling the local cuisine. Mostly I like finding the little mom & pop diners that those who live there frequent. They typically have the best food at a more reasonable price.

A quest for food can lead you to some very interesting places, via some fun roads, and isn't that a big part of what it's all about?

I agree with 'Unregistered.' On my last trip I stopped at a tiny little ancient cafe in a small town in Oklahoma. They had the BEST cheeseburgers, and as it turns out the proprietor is a BMW rider and he came out to admire the bikes after we ate. I made a point to stop there on the way home too.

As for cold canned food, just take some bailing-wire and lash the cans to your headers then ride a lap or two around the rally site. Then remove the cans, open, stir, enjoy! :eat

Road food

Did you happen to see this post? forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=10925
Some of that roadside food can get interesting.
If you are traveling on a budget hook up with the Poverty Riders, some of those guys can find cheap eats anywhere (at least that was my experience in New Oreleans during Mardi Gras years ago).
Not every one has a fat wallet.

Unregistered said:
My main thing when traveling is: I don't care what I eat as long as it doesn't come from a chain restaurant. One of the great simple pleasures of traveling, particularly by motorcycle, is sampling the local cuisine. Mostly I like finding the little mom & pop diners that those who live there frequent. They typically have the best food at a more reasonable price.

Amen. I travel like that by car, too, and keep a copy of Jan & Michael Stern's Roadfood there. They do name a couple of places near (enough): P&H Truck Stop in Wells River (which seems to be popular with students, travellers and truckers) and Wayside Restaurant on Route 302 in Berlin.
I'm hoping chowhound turns up some others. :thumb

- Ross

Back