• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Favorite "Non-Local" Roads

MAGWA

Most of my riding is on the West Coast. Typically, a good run during spring or summer is riding north, either along the coast circumnavigating such yuppie places as Mendocino and opting for the underbelly. A favorite stop is Ft.Bragg's Noyo Harbor.

Attachments

• pic00024.jpeg
    pic00024.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 216
Favorite Roads

I'll figure out how to place more than one picture per post later...

Following up the coast to BC is a real treat. The end of Highway 101 is in Lund, B.C. on the Sunshine Coast above Powell River.

This picture is from a room I shared with fellow Idiot Fronch at the end of the line, about 15 clicks north of Powell River. 101 ends on a pier.

Attachments

• dsc00046.jpg
    dsc00046.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 234
Rt. 27, from Woburn, PQ to Stratton Maine. One of those great roads that isn't the best on any one thing, just seems to "fit" juuuuust right :) Below from a trip in 1996.

Blue Ridge Pkwy

My favorite road of all times is the Blue Ridge Pkwy. It's the motorcycle Mecca of the east. Just travel Mon-Fri before Memorial Day and avoid the motorcoaches.

If you get to New England my second favorite is Vermont Rt# 100. It's a country road snaking thru small towns and farmland. Beautiful sites and numerous twisty Gap roads to satisfy the urge.

Mark

Re: Blue Ridge Pkwy

oilhed said:
My favorite road of all times is the Blue Ridge Pkwy. It's the motorcycle Mecca of the east. Just travel Mon-Fri before Memorial Day and avoid the motorcoaches.

If you get to New England my second favorite is Vermont Rt# 100. It's a country road snaking thru small towns and farmland. Beautiful sites and numerous twisty Gap roads to satisfy the urge.

Mark

I'll add a vote for both of those and include Rt. 8A in Western Mass. It will eventually dump you out in Wilmington, VT, right at the southern end of 100.

:D

Re: Re: Blue Ridge Pkwy

KBasa said:
I'll add a vote for both of those and include Rt. 8A in Western Mass. It will eventually dump you out in Wilmington, VT, right at the southern end of 100.

:D

Dave! I was saving that one. Heath, MA, the twisties are so tight you'll think your on the Streets of Willows. Just watch out when the manure spreaders cross the road. They leave a slippery trail.

Mark

I agree. The best east cost roads I have ridden are the Blue Ridge and its side roads. Some of the side roads are great. I love route 100 in VT also and some of the passes over the green mountains. It is a lot of fun and you can pass on a double yellow line unless there is a no passing sign. What fun.

On the west coast route 1 either up or down the coast from San Francisco is beautiful. There are a lot of fun roads off or Rt1 too. Like 84 to AliceÔÇÖs Restaurant. Need more time to explore.

Have fun!

Hamilton Pool Road

A road where one can always let off a little steam......
Near Bee Caves (sw of Austin) TX

hpool.jpg

WFOroad

If its flat out you want, Hwy 118 between Alpine and Big bend
provides the facility for such endeavors

alpine.jpg

flat out

Or try Rt. 108 west from Moncton, NB - not much of anything there but trees ;)

Attachments

• 20181217_163008_CP2.jpg
    20181217_163008_CP2.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20181217_163329_cp2.jpg
    20181217_163329_cp2.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0839_cp_rs.jpg
    DSCN0839_cp_rs.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210730_142847_rs.jpg
    20210730_142847_rs.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 3
My favorites: Any road around TWO in Suches, GA, feeder roads to the BRP, and - I gotta say it - that gorgeous road in the Swider's front yard, Lucas Valley Road (even in a cage!!!).

BMWGypsy said:
My favorites: Any road around TWO in Suches, GA, feeder roads to the BRP, and - I gotta say it - that gorgeous road in the Swider's front yard, Lucas Valley Road (even in a cage!!!).

Miata = four wheeled motorcycle.

Steve Hancock after spending a good three days riding around in Napa in it: "I didn't know cars could ever be fun."

Also, I should point out it belongs to MrsKBasa.

:yow

69844-Medium.jpg

Attachments

• r1100 front left quarter.jpg
    r1100 front left quarter.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 1
KBasa said:
Miata = four wheeled motorcycle.

I suppose I should also point out that I really enjoyed that road that the rented Ksuck went *flop* on. That road was a hoot!

btw, I do have your dup's of my pic's still. :doh

Attachments

• Connector - Male.jpg
    Connector - Male.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Connector - Female.jpg
    Connector - Female.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 1
Send them over, you know the address :)

Attachments

• Orient Blue K76s.jpg
    Orient Blue K76s.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PD, Beast and motor small.jpg
    PD, Beast and motor small.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Road to Mt Hamilton small.jpg
    Road to Mt Hamilton small.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
  • slash-2-for-web.jpg
    slash-2-for-web.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
BMWGypsy said:
I suppose I should also point out that I really enjoyed that road that the rented Ksuck went *flop* on. That road was a hoot!

That would have been Page Mill Road between 280 and Skyline Drive.

P3070009-11.jpg

Geesh, I know we have a better picture of that road somewhere? One with a lot more angle through the hairpin turn? ;)

Say, with a Blonde Girl in the picture. :stick

:rofl

US 50 from San Francisco, CA to Ocean City, MD

Higdon did this earlier this year - I've been trying to get him to write it up after receiving a cell text message from him that simply said, "near ely - God lives here"

Attachments

• R1200RT-left-side-small.jpg
    R1200RT-left-side-small.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 0
The Kankamangus Highway near Conway in New Hampshire is one of the best in the U.S. Watch out for moose crossing the road, though.

Back