• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ride It To Work (Every) Day

El Dookey loves to ride.
Just a note to encourage all my beemer brethren and sistren to ride your bikes to work EVERY day, not just once a year (whenever it was).
I co-own a small jewelry store/art gallery and therefore work six days a week, so if I am going to get the most out of my scoot, then Ride It To Work Everyday (RITWE) is the way to go.
I have three routes I can take to get here. Shortest is 10 miles, longest is 17 (along a nice winding road).
Yup, there are a lot of hassles like helmet hair (we do have running water to deal with that), changing clothes, etc. etc. but the pay-off is worth it.
This year I vowed to ride every ding-dang day. When the starter quit in my box back in late May it forced the issue. Haven't fixed the car yet and am on the bike 7 days a week. It helps me arrive with a great attitude - especially if I leave a few minutes early and take the longer, twisty way in. And it helps me get home with a smile.
If we want folks to take bikes seriously as TRANSPORTATION, then we have to use them as such. Don't JUST use yer bike as an RV, take it to work with you - you will both be happier. I wish I had the time and money to do a two month tour of the country, but for now I have to rack the miles up one day at a time.
RIDE IT TO WORK EVERYDAY. Or RITWE.
okay - will someone help me off this soapbox......

In.

I just lane split through 10 miles of stopped up traffic here in Marin.

I'd still be 8 miles away in the car......

logo-color.gif

I ride everyday, except when I'm stuck in concalls from 6am to 7pm :cry

In fact, I just mounted the Garmin 176 on my RT so I have something to play with as I'm splitting traffic through San Jose :p

It's been so bloody hot here the past couple of days that I finally got around to swapping out the Cee Bailey #2 for the BMW tall screen to get a little more air on my arms.

When I have to do a lot of urban street warfare (Santa Clara), I take the GS, so I can just ride over obstacles. When I have to do some distance (Newark over the Dunbarton Bridge), the RT is the mount of choice.

It's all good :clap

Eric Blume said:
Their requirement is that it has to be sunny and in the upper 80's before they get their bike out. I guess if they didn't live in Seattle they would ride more often.
Helped you with an edit there Eric. :bliss

Ride to work

Whenever it's over 50 deg and not raining I ride. I could ride if it's colder or wet but hate getting to work pre-miserable.

MarkF

I've ridden to work everyday since March this year unless I had to transport people or critters around during the day (I know, I know, get a sidecar rig!). I figure I personally can ride daily in Iowa for about 9-10 mos. of the year, unless we have some serious T-storms going on. We had an unseasonably warm December last year, so that helped, but usually Dec. - Feb. is pretty inhospitable. At least the wind chill has never reached 100 below here (we got to -90 in 1993).

As long as its over 45 degrees and not storming I ride the 100 mile round trip to NYC every day. It clears my head in the AM and gives me something to look forward to in the PM. The therepy is better than a psychiatrist.

RITWE is not an option for me, which is a shame. I am a sales manager with 18 employees spread over Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia. I put on a lot of miles in a typical day and would often love to do them on my bike. The largest thing I need to transport (besides me) is a hand-held computer.

Some miles are over great twisty roads, others are in infamous DC Beltway lane-splitable traffic. However, a couple of years ago a counterpart in another state was traveling in the course of his employment on his Harley and was t-boned and lost a leg. The company quickly ammended policy and I received an addendum to sign that forbids the use of motorcycles on company business.

The addendum was forced when our insurance carrier decided they would not cover the company for damages incurred through motorcycle accidents.

Interesting story

Wonder if anyone insured by that company has ever lost a leg while in a car accident?
At first glance it almost seemed like a "reasonable" response, but the more I think on it the less sense it makes. One accident means they refuse to insure motorcycles? Faulty logic if you ask me Captain Kirk.

fish said:
It's been so bloody hot here the past couple of days

I usually ride daily. It affords me a spot not many others can
have...a covered spot right next to the door :)

Ian

I ride to work every day, rain or shine, I wont ride on snow though, I do have a limit (tires). There are 3 folks at work who ride most every day, snow on the roads or errands that require use of a larger vehicle. I have used my bike for a couple company trips, and it sure makes the drudgery of travelling a bit more fun.

Yup, that's the way to do it, ride to work. That's always been the case with me, here in Virginia, or up in Detroit. On rainy days in Detroit, the only people to ride to work was a fella on his '47 Indian Chief, and me on my R60/6. We gained a great respect for each other and our machines. That began a great relationship!

When I bought my bike back in '75, I had one thing in mind...basic transportation. Here was a machine that you could ship anywhere in the world and always have your basic transportation taken care of.

I bought my bike because I never wanted to have to worry about basic transpo for the rest of my life, and the machine has been true coming through thick and thin!

Of course there have been many adventures, like hitting a LARGE wooden pallette dead on (I decided it was the best approach) at 70 mph, flying through the air and landing with such force that the headlight lens came out and smashed on the front fender (the lens smashing thing has happened 3-4 times hitting different things). Those who don't ride to work are missing quite a bit. I've always been blessed with a 35 to 40 mile ride to work, no matter where I've lived.

oilhed said:
Just wondering, what do they ride (make/model) ?

MarkF

We have an Aprillia (Capo) and Harely (Sportster) rider, a
Ducati pilot and one other BMW rider (K75).

In order, I'd say I probably ride most every day, the K bike
is next but maybe once or twice a month (he's a bicycle
commuter so I cut him some slack :)). The other two rarely
ride to work. In fact, I'd have to say it's been twice in the
last two years for the other two.

Ian

Riding to work was not possible in my last job because I served a four-state territory (including TX) and had to haul a luggage-cart full of gear with me. But I'm planning on RITWE for my next job, once I get a runner again.

Cliffy777 said:
Just a note to encourage all to ride your bikes to work EVERY day, not just once a year (whenever it was).

Riding to work in traffic is too boring. I'd sooner use my bike for quality riding such as local backroads and touring. But to each their own. They bought it so they can do as they please with it.

Originally posted by Cliffy777 If we want folks to take bikes seriously as TRANSPORTATION, then we have to use them as such.

Actually I'd like all folks to take driving seriously, but that would take a change in attitude.

A few years ago I finally bought a car reliable enough to be "real" transportation and my RTW ratio slipped from 100% to 60/40 (bike/car). Next week we are moving to an island, the ferry system loads the bikes on first, no waiting in line so I figure I'll be back up to 100% real fast.

It's also a great excuse to go shopping for a sidecar...

Which island are you moving to Steve? Whidbey or Vashon? Say hey to Sue from us.....we miss you out here.

Bainbridge

There is quite a community of moto/ferry commuters out here, my current route of travel crosses paths with a dozen or so riders who arrive from Vashon at West Seattle at about 0645. Dozens more are parked every day under the viaduct along the waterfront. I figure to build another Airhead rig like the one I sold before coming out here but with a leading link or other sidecar type front end, it'll be easier to haul my bunking gear around that way.

Looking forward to catching up with my Chicago Region friends in Spokane next summer. Might even get Susan to join in.

Back