• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

k75 rear drive

drrider2

I just had my first driveshaft failure at 88k miles. is the paralever rear drive from a k1100 stronger, and has anyone done the conversion?

drrider2 said:
I just had my first driveshaft failure at 88k miles. is the paralever rear drive from a k1100 stronger, and has anyone done the conversion?

I know Greg Hutchinson has, but I don't think he's monitoring the board. I'll see if I can get him over here.

From what I hear, the paralever isn't appreciably stronger, it just fails in a different way, usually Ujoints.

What failed on your driveshaft? Splines or Ujoint?

dave

If the final drive splines failed as well, you can get them rebuilt, stronger than original, and a new driveshaft, together for under $500 from Hansen's BMW in Medford, OR.

my last r80 had way over 100k and never had any driveshaft problems. I was surprised to have a spline failure with so few mileshaving lubed them yearly.

drrider2 said:
my last r80 had way over 100k and never had any driveshaft problems. I was surprised to have a spline failure with so few mileshaving lubed them yearly.
Welcome to the wonderful world of 2-valve k-bikes. Think of it as one of the trade-offs of having a bike that otherwise requires such little maintenance.:D

I got my third driveshaft at the 175K mark. Neither of the "bad" ones had a spline issue....the u-joint got tight and notchy. So they were replaced.

Back