• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Drive Failures

G

Gary99

Just returned from the CCR gathering at Gatlinburg, Tn. where there was a reported seven rear drive failures enroute on LTs. This out of an expected 300 , more or less, LTs in attendance, I didn't count them. Pretty alarming failure rate, in my opinion, for an item that has the potential to produce catastrophic results.

Re: lt finals

desertjersey said:
Lt, you're scaring me, any idea of cause(s), mileage etc. Tom

You can get ll kinds of Data at www.bmwlt.net, they range from hardly any miles at all to a ton of miles, I have 44k on my '02 LT and have not ad a failure, but I change the rear drive oil very often, mainly just to keep an eye to see if I get ay metal in the oil

Tom

Tom, from what I have read and heard from those who have had failures, there doesn't seem to be any reliable predictor of failure. Mileage is all over the place, and many say they checked rear drive oil shortly before a failure with no evidence of metal filings. Many have had a tell tale warning shortly before failure in rear wheel wobble, unusual sound or feel from rear, and/or oil on the rear wheel. BMW rep at Gatlinburg admitted the problem, and said some of the failed units have been sent to Germany for evaluation. The good news, is statistically most of us never have a problem, so I don't obsess about it. I just check the rear wheel area at stops when I travel. Just something to keep in mind.

LTOwner said:
Tom, from what I have read and heard from those who have had failures, there doesn't seem to be any reliable predictor of failure. Mileage is all over the place, an Just something to keep in mind.

a friend of mine had one go on him, he said he though he heard something and stopped oil was everywhere, that was the only notice he had, it was a '99, I'm not worried about that at all on my ike if it breaks it breaks, I have a 5 yr extended service policy on it.

Tom

I had a rear drive failure on my 2000 RT @ 48K miles. Is the RT and LT rear end the same? Are the service intrevals the same?

Don't know first hand, but have read where the same rear end is used on several models, and has been for many years. Service interval on the LT is every 6K. Specifically on the rear end, think I recall it is every 12K.

Back