• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Kentucky

kbasa

OK, I'm a bourbon guy. Not the crummy stuff, but the real deal, the stuff that you consume in small amounts on special occasions. Given the reasonable proximity of WV to KY, do any of you guys know anything about the "Kentucky Bourbon Trail"?

Funny you should ask. On Memorial Day Weekend, I will be leading a ride for another board (sport-touring.net) along the Bourbon Trail. I have plenty of info at the house. Also, Anyone who wishes to join on Mem.DayWeekEnd is welcome.

Just PM or e-mail me if you like. Also there are a couple of threads on the ride over Here and Here

Gar

mmm. boi-bon is good!!!

Remember alot of Kentucky is DRY no sale of alcohol, you can tour the distilleries but no tasting or purchasing, The tours are fun anyway.

Jeff said:
Remember alot of Kentucky is DRY no sale of alcohol, you can tour the distilleries but no tasting or purchasing, The tours are fun anyway.

From personal experience, I can tell you that the area surrounding Mammoth Caves is particularly dry.

:uhoh

The Bourbon Trail contains only 7 distilleries:

Labrot & Graham
Buffalo Trace
Four Roses
Wild Turkey
Jim Beam
Heaven Hill
Maker's Mark

There are many more (distilleries) in Kentucky.

Buffalo Trace is in Frankfort, which is wet. I think you can buy the bourbon there.

Marker's Mark (closest to Mammoth Caves) allows you to buy a bottle and dip it in wax yourself (except on Sundays).

I don't know about purchase of bourbon at the other distilleries, yet.

Most of the distilleries have tours available, though Four Roses is by appointment only. Most all have gift shops that sell items labeled from the distillery and other crafts from Kentucky.

As far as the reference to "real deal" vs. "crummy stuff" are you referencing single barrel vs. multi barrel bourbons? Single Barrel is the most expensive way, but returns the least consistent bourbon - each bottle can be different. By blending the barrels, the bourbon is more consistent. But, just because "single barrel" is used, doesn't mean its great, and many blended barrel bourbons are excellent. (blended barrel does not mean a blended whiskey, all bourbon is straight sour mash - doesn't matter if its single barrel or not) Also, blended barrel is, as I understand it, the traditional method. I will agree that there are some bourbons not worth drinking (Henry McKenna come to mind - a product of Heaven Hill) but many blended that are excellent (Evan Williams 7 year - also Heaven Hill & Maker's Mark). Several of the distilleries on the trail make several whiskies. Wild Turkey has MANY whiskies under that name, some very premium(Rare Breed - single barrel, barrel proof). Heaven Hill has a ton of brands and recipies it makes, including many award winning single barrels. Beam tends to get a bad rep as a cheap bourbon, though many later realize it is an excellent bourbon, smoother than most others. I have sampled bourbons from each distillery on the trail, except Four Roses. They all make some exceptional whiskies. Try them all, you might enjoy it.:D

Gar

gararnett said:
The Bourbon Trail contains only 7 distilleries:

Labrot & Graham
Buffalo Trace
Four Roses
Wild Turkey
Jim Beam
Heaven Hill
Maker's Mark

[snippage]

Try them all, you might enjoy it.:D

Gar

Outstanding! Thanks!

I understand that blending results in consistency and don't necessarily think single barrel makes for a better bourbon. I live pretty close to wine country here in NorCal and can attest that you can't really go by the label all the time.

My intention was to find out if there were good distilleries in some sort of route and it looks like there is! That's awesome!

Woodford Reserve is probably my favorite, but I also know that the nice folks at Jim Beam make some of my other faves; Knob Creek, Basil Hayden and Baker's.

Bourbon is like anything else, part of the fun is trying them all.

Ahem, in moderation, of course, and not while riding.

:brow

If you would like a brochure on the trial, along with a few other I have and a Ky state map, send me your address and I'll send 'em out. Caution - I am slow with mailing these - I sent out almost 25 packages for the ride I am leading in May, so the stragglers trickle out. Quantities are limited.

No charge as all this stuff in free anyway.

Gar

gararnett said:
If you would like a brochure on the trial, along with a few other I have and a Ky state map, send me your address and I'll send 'em out. Caution - I am slow with mailing these - I sent out almost 25 packages for the ride I am leading in May, so the stragglers trickle out. Quantities are limited.

No charge as all this stuff in free anyway.

Gar

If you can point me to a web address, that would probably suffice and it would save us both from having to deal with the paper.

Thanks!

:clap

Gotta get back to work, get my chores done today and have a Hayden by the fire tonight.

May? Did I hear May? Gee, depending on which weekend it is, I might be interested in coming down for part of it. Give me more details. Not that I'm a bourbon drinker (long story involving a lot of prayers) but I'd love the ride.

Dave

The ride I have planned is Memorial Weekend. The actual ride will be on Sunday. This is so the out of staters can ride in Friday night/Saturday, do the run on Sunday and ride home on Monday - Memorial Day. It is based at a cheapo motel (its clean though) the Knights' Inn, on NewTown Pike just off of I-75/I-64 in Lexington Ky. For those arriving early, we will do some riding or whatever on Saturday. On SUnday we will run to the distilleries. Not doing a tour at all of them, but will tour at least one. The total east-west distance between the distilleries is about 75-80 miles, and about 50 miles north-south. It will be a fun ride. Most details are on the ST.N website, under eastern rides - Bourbon Trail Run, and in the upcoming event section.

Don't mind the stupid banter between me and "cooter" (a very old friend, we jab at each other all the time). We make fun of ourselves a lot over there. There will be a few coming from Ohio and Northern Ky. Lots of different people, on different bikes. It will be interesting, and very fun.

Links to the threads at ST.N are in my first post in this thread.

COme on down!!!:clap

Wow, I was looking for something to do over that weekend. If ya see a yellow & silver GS in the motel parking, it'll be me. Is that the Knights Inn behind the massage parlor?

No, the massage parlor is on the other side of town.;) Knight's Inn is on North Side of Lex. BTW, they still have vacancies for the weekend, and I will be able to share a room Sat. and Sun. nights - the USAF fighter jock I'm splitting my room with is going to Indianapolis Sat. night for some car thing. :dunno

...you're invited...

...Kentucky roads are the best! And this could make it better !!!
...we live around the corner and up the hill on good twisties from Buffalo Trace ...

We invite any of you who are riding from 5/23-6/7
to come stay with us.
We have a B&B and am offering
:bliss FREE :bliss
1 night
for max 4 persons

(why? because we are new at this and we ride a BMW!
...and we enjoy the conversations and sharing of information and we did this in Isle of Mann 2000 and loved it!).
We are on a lake. :dunno

First 4 calls get the freebie......502-484-4400
...Located off Rt 227 near Owenton, KY--- great roads.
~Ron
:clap :clap :clap

Back