• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

No reservations @ Lake Carmi State Park?

tictac

Pressing #1 for English!
Hello to All Members. I am new to this site and did not read all the posts yet.
Hope I am not repeating the old post. Today I was trying to reserve the spot at Lake Carmi State Park and was told that they do not take the reservations. The Camp site will be available to the BMW riders on a first come basis, starting July 17 at 10:00am. My plan was to get there by July 18th, but now I am thinking that the Camp will be sold out by 18th :laugh .
I am in Miami Beach, Florida and with this new information I guess I will have to start my trip to the Rally on July 15th, so that I can make it to Lake Carmi camp site by 17th 10:00am. My wife will stay in the tent only if it is a water front tent :kiss :kiss :kiss :violin :violin :violin :violin
Is anybody from Florida going to the Rally on the 15th? It would be nice if I can find a group to ride with.
:bolt Thanks :bolt

Lake Front Camping.........

First come, first served method of allotting camping could be a chance for personal growth. Getting turned away from Lake Carmi after a hard ride filled with a growing anticipation and need of sleep, drink and food could be the start.

A person could checkout a couple of other State Parks, like Grand Isle State Park, North Hero State Park, Button Bay State Park or in New York, Cumberland Bay State Park. I think they all have a reservation system.

One joint that does take reservations with some nice lakefront is the Basin Harbor Club.
:brow

Should not be a space problem

A couple of earlier posts by Rob Nye seem to indicate that space at Lake Carmi will not be a problem:

"We would like to cordially invite you to come to Vermont early and enjoy the roads and secnery of New England. We have made arrangements with the State of Vermont to have exclusive use of Lake Carmi State Park from Monday July 17th until Thursday 19th for folks who would like to arrive early and sample the Gaps, twisties and incredible GS opportunites that exist all over the state. While this is no host camping there will be printed maps, route sheets and suggested rides available at the Ranger Station. You can make reservations for the weekend prior or at other parks directly with the state . If you reserve a site at Carmi you will not have to move when the exclusive use starts."

"Carmi is a fantastic park with plenty of tent and lean-to sites. We have the entire park reserved for your pre-rally pleasure for a discounted rate of $4 per day or $5 per day for a lean-to site. Each site can accommodate up to 8 campers. If necessary there is a large overflow area, this is the park that hosted camping for both the Grateful Dead and Phish, the park and the surrounding area knows how to support campers."

Big Enough for PHISH

The Lake Carmi campsight was where the concert goers camped for PHISH and the Greatful Dead. It would be impossible for the rally campers to occupy all of the Lake Carmi campground.

Picked up this info at a great GPS workshop at MAX's. The workshop was given by Rob Nye who taught some great lessons and gave some outstanding tips and demos.

Thanks Max
Thanks Rob :heart

Location!

I here it is 50 miles north of rally site,Yes? Coming from Fla., one may wish to stay south on the way in, or ride north to visit all other beemer folks at Camri Park.

40598603-M.jpg

Taken from one of the lean tos in Carmi last fall. If you can score one of these, you'll be guaranteed to have dry camping. And the view isn't bad either.

Rally registration includes park fees?

I am unclear on the camping fees. I looked up What 2006 Rally registration includes, and it list among other things:

Camping on nice soft grass, with your choice of quiet, traditional And "roughing it" locations.

So does that mean I don't have to pay any fees to State Parks. However, I read that it is $4/day or $5/day for lean-to site. What is lean-to site means?

Camping fee

The camping at Lake Carmi is before the offical start of the rally, so you will need to pay the $4 or $5 bucks/night. I believe that the entire campground is booked by the MOA for the days before the rally, but I'm guessing that when the rally starts on Thursday, the campground (Lake Carmi) reverts back to Vermont and its nightly rate ($16/night).

The camping on soft grass is during the offical rally at the fairgrounds and is included in registration

Lean-to - a structure (wooden in this case) with three enclosed sides, a roof, and an open side. Most of the ones at the campground have a wooden floor.

Brian

Greetings,

There is plenty of wonderful camping space at Lake Carmi. Each site can accomodate up to 8 tents easily. There are many sites along the lake and the ones off the water are also very nice. Good grass, plenty of shade and a fire ring make each site a nice spot.

We really want everyone to be able to have a great time in Vermont and while we could not have a week long rally at the Expo we thought it would be nice to have a place for people to get together before the rally.

Even though there will not be any official activities at Cami, you will be able to get your hands on route sheets of recommended rides both on and off pavement. From a fee basis the camping at Carmi is the best deal in New England. They are not taking reservations because we have reserved the entire park. If you want to be sure to score a lean to site the thing to do is come up the weekend before (with reservation) or be there Monday morning.

This year we are trying to offer two wonderful activities in Vermont. First you have the camping at Carmi which for many will be going back to what drew them into organized motorcycling in the first place; a bunch of riders fresh from a day of riding, hanging out together around the campfire. The second is everything we have come to appreciate about our annual rally. Vendors, seminars, great entertainment, BMW Demo Rides and more.

Best,

Now I'm starting to worry...needlessly??? We're planning on arriving Thursday (7/20) and camping at Carmi S.P. Will there be any spots left for our small entourage by then?

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I already feel welcome. I am starting my journey from Miami Beach, Fl. on July 15th and hope to make it to Lake Carmi by July 16th. I would like to know: how do you squeeze eight tents into a lean-to.? :twirl :twirl :twirl :twirl :twirl :twirl
If I should arrive around 9 or 10pm, will the gate be locked? :violin :violin
I would hate to sleep on my bike. Thanks again to all who replied. Hope to see u at Lake Carmi.

Daver90s said:
Now I'm starting to worry...needlessly??? We're planning on arriving Thursday (7/20) and camping at Carmi S.P. Will there be any spots left for our small entourage by then?

Greetings,

I am sure there will be plenty of room at Carmi on Thursday. To be clear, most people at Carmi Monday - Wednesday will pack up and come down to the rally site on Thursday. It is a beautiful ride but it is in the coutry and about 40 miles which means it is not a good idea to enjoy the beer garden or live music and then ride to Carmi.

You can make a reservation at Carmi for Thursday on, our exclusive dead ends Thursday morning.

Best,

104554 said:
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I already feel welcome. I am starting my journey from Miami Beach, Fl. on July 15th and hope to make it to Lake Carmi by July 16th. I would like to know: how do you squeeze eight tents into a lean-to.? :twirl :twirl :twirl :twirl :twirl :twirl
I would hate to sleep on my bike. Thanks again to all who replied. Hope to see u at Lake Carmi.

Hey now,

Eight tents *in* a lean to will not work. There is plenty of room for tents on the site with two in the lean to. Most people who use the lean to's don't put a tent up inside.

Gates will be open all night, just register in the morning.

Best,

104554 said:

if you plan on coming late late, be sure to gas up around Burlington, or if you come up I-89, stop at the St Albans exit, cuz you won't find gas at nite near the park :wave

Rally camping

It sounds to me as if some people missunderstand rally camping. Camping at the National rally or at any other rally you do NOT get an individual campsite. You pick a spot, pitch your tent and make new friends with your neighbors. Assume the same for Lake Carmi. Don't worry it really does work out really well. :brad

Did I get crooked? I made reservations at Camp Carmi and paid in advance. Then I read the fine print and found out it was fifty miles north of the rally. Poopies to that! Going to cancel my reservations and camp at the rally! I don't know if reservations are transferable to another "party"

I think you are confused about the PRE-Rally camping at Lake Carmi and then the camping at the rally. The idea about Lake Carmi is to get folks together BEFORE the rally. Its generally expected that during the rally (Thurs-Sun), people will be either camping at the fairgrounds or hoteling near by. But the ride from the fairgrounds up to Lake Carmi is a fun ride (as are most rides here in Vermont).

I'm not sure what the cancellation policy is for Vt Parks, but you may try calling them and checking into a refund (I think they hold one nights cost from the refund).

Brian

I see says the blind man to his deaf wife. I was wondering why BMW set it up way up there when everyone wants to be near the action. :drink :kiss :hungover

Back