• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Africa

NESS

Ness - Montreal
This winter I plan to have my "R1200GS Adventure" shipped from Montreal to Western Europe where I will start a tour of Africa...from north to south.
If you have any info on shipping and/or riding Africa or parts thereof, I'd like to hear from you.
Ness
normness@gmail.com
514-497-1611

Norm go to Horizonsunlimited . They will have a bunch of information for you.

Alos look for a link to purchase Africa Against the Clonck on a Motorcycle by Werner Bausenhart. It may be helpful to you. He is a retired professor from the Univerity of Ottawa and still lives in the area I believe. You may be able to get in touch with him and ask some questions directly.

Yes on Africa!

Talk to Al Jesse of the famed Jesse Luggage company. He's in Phoenix,AZ and not hard to find via his ads, etc. Al is good friend and did Africa on his GS800 years ago. This trip is where the Jesse luggage idea was born. He had made his own luggage for this adventure and so the saga continues today. Al is a true blue adventure kind of guy and probably would enjoy talking with you. Randy O., moa13233

NormNess said:
This winter I plan to have my "R1200GS Adventure" shipped from Montreal to Western Europe where I will start a tour of Africa...from north to south.
If you have any info on shipping and/or riding Africa or parts thereof, I'd like to hear from you.

Well Norm, I could put you in touch with an old flying student and acquaintance of mine who has toured Africa. His name is Werner Bausenhart and he lives just minutes north of Gatineau, Quebec, a short ride from Montreal. If you're interested, I'll call him and if he agrees, pass along his phone number.

He'll probably tell you to leave the old beast at home and take an F650 GS or similar motorcycle, unless you plan on all paved and hard packed gravel roads, which Africa doesn't have an abundance of. He took his 1990 R100 GS Paris Dakar through North and South America, as well as through Europe and Asia, and it was a handful at times. When it came to Africa, he is glad he chose the F650. It had to be carried through sections of road that were waist high in water; try that with an Adventure. I have one (actually two), so I know they're far too heavy should the going get tough, and it will.

I take it you are doing this solo?

As for shipping, Werner and I use Air Canada, but I don't deal directly through them. I use a shipper which gets me the same flight for just over half price. I shipped my GS Adventure over last summer and it ran me CA$1125. That included the necessary paperwork on this side. I built my own pallet for about $80. I did all the legwork as far as strapping my GS down and covering it with plenty of bubble wrap, etc. Clearing customs on the other side varies in price. Count on at least CA$250.

If you need more info, e-mail me.

Back