• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ride Off Stand, Anybody???

B

BMWRich58

Was curious as what the "Ride Off" stand looked like.
My factory center stand on the GS is very "tired". Can a replacement fix this problem or does the "Frame area" need to be built up, by welding some extra "meat"/ metal to the surface area, where the stand touches,while in the center stand position?
Thanks!

ride-off stand

The ride-off stand - assuming you can find one in good condition -- doesn't require any changes to the frame.
However, you'll no longer be able to drop a wheel for a flat tire repair. And, while you can use the stand to "ride off" this gets a little rough on the bolts holding the stand in place. As does the trick of spinning the bike on one part of the stand. Anyway, you might try Bo Stewart at www.bostewart.com who makes/fixes center stands.
As always, JMHO, and YMMV.

Mac

Thanks Mac. I ordered a used "Factory" stand from Re-cycle in Ohio. Mine was bent. After I receive the newer one, I'll be better at determining whether a little welding some extra meat is necessary.

Well,received my new "used" centerstand $75.00+shipping. Installed thursday this week and now the bike sits upright. I can even change a tire if I need to. The mounting on the bike needed a little tweeking and installed new hardware (bolts/bushings) and everything is "A-OK".:clap

centerstand

You got a good price on that, and it should last another
twenty years...with occasional lubing and replacement of the springs. I'm tempted to do the same, and replace my aging and worn ride-off. I replaced the stock sidestand with a Brown stand and now might be a good time to go back to stock.

Mac

Hey Tom, I've purchased from Re-Psycal before and they have great prices. Here's a picture of the bike I'm lightly restoring for my trip to Alaska next year.

Ohlins works like a Dream!!!!!!!! Got Wilber's on the RT. They are SWEET TOOOOO!!!

I work with a guy that has known the owner of re-psycle since he did it out of his garage. He told me he is very honest and fair in his dealing with everyone. If you like one of the used bikes on his site, if he knows the history, he will be up front with all information, including what he thinks it needs. If and when I have the need for used parts, he is the man I will go to. Since he is only an hour and a half away, if the bike is rideable I will go get the stuff in person.

You're absolutely right, man. Mark Sidle (owner of Re-Psycle) is a good man. I've been doing business with him for over 10 years, now; been to his house several times when that was where he did business from. He has always been fair and honest with me in all our dealings, and he has some good people working for him.

It just happens to be an added bonus that I live only 5 miles from their "new" store in Lithopolis! :D

You're absolutely right, man. Mark Sidle (owner of Re-Psycle) is a good man.

This is my second purchase from him, and have "No Complaints!!"

Back