• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil filler cap on R bike

R

RIDERR1150GSADV

:dunno I am new to this generation of oilbikes and this forum,my last bike was more than 20 years ago, and I have heard about the oil filler caps comming off the bike. Is there a better than factory alternative?

rider1150RT said:
:dunno I am new to this generation of oilbikes and this forum,my last bike was more than 20 years ago, and I have heard about the oil filler caps comming off the bike. Is there a better than factory alternative?

Welcome! :wave

I've never had a problem with those, but there have been reports of the oil sight glass popping out. It's not happened to me, but I carry a spare when I tour.

rider1150RT said:
Is there a better than factory alternative?

I like the Moto Techniques leakproof cap.

330804-M.jpg

How does it work?

Does the threaded fitting insert into the cylinder head with the same 2 prong half turn? Or does it require some modification?

Mark

P.S. I've never had my OEM cap move even slightly.

All of ours kind of ooze a little oil around the filler. I'm not sure if it's the chimpanzee that puts the oil in the bike or if the cap is actually seeping.

:dunno

No oozin' while I'm cruisin'

I am 3k miles into my second R bike (turned the other one in with 12,500 miles in July). I haven't had any oil seepage or oozing from either bike.
This discussion has me worried? Do those caps really pop off? Yipes.

I've never heard of an oil filler popping off, but I have heard of oil level sight glasses popping out.

Thanks for all the replies!:wow
I did not mean to scare anyone with the question but I had read about this potential problem and while reading this forum I found out the sightglass is a weak point???:confused: Well I guess I'll get a spare and look at a different cap too!
It is better to be safe than sorry and having a few spare parts isn't bad anyway:)

Re: How does it work?

oilhed said:
Does the threaded fitting insert into the cylinder head with the same 2 prong half turn? Or does it require some modification?

Mark

P.S. I've never had my OEM cap move even slightly.

Totally different. You have to remove the valvecover, pop out the plastic thingy, then the threaded insert gets pushed in (o-ring) and tighten the set screws (use locktite!!)

I have never heard of losing the oil cap. As long as seal is good and the cap is properly installed, you shouldn't lose it. If your concerned, purchase an extra for a couple bucks and keep it under your seat. I doubt you will ever need it.

Almost every stock oil cap leaks oil, even with a new seal. My RT has about 60K, so I ride it in all weather. However, I like to ride a spotless bike. The one exception is a small amount of oil leaking around the oil filler cap. For some odd reason, a little bit of oil on an oilhead seems appropriate. I wouldn't have it any other way. If I ever purchased one of those fancy caps, I would probably squirt a little bit of oil around the cap for character.

Last edited:
I like the caracter part of some oil on the engine:cool:
As long as it is just a little, I am kinda anal about cleaning my bike too.:clap
I will keep an eye peeled on the cap however, although it does appear it is not comming off that easy after reading the reply I got on my original question.:bliss

Back