• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cb -- Frs

roadcrave

PRAY BEFORE RIDING
I Have not found any good info on what to do for communication on a CB, till a friend of mine explained that FRS is on the same freq as a CB, so im looking for info to put a FRS radio ((due to the cost of the radio is much cheaper that a CB)) on my k1200lt with a baehr communication system, anybody out there have any knowledge in this area...matthew

CB and FRS are not the same

CB and FRS operate on different frequencies and use different modulation systems. CB operates in the 27 Megahertz frequency range and uses Amplitude Modulation (AM). FRS operates in the 400 Megahertz frequency range and uses Frequency Modulation (FM). These two systems are not interactive.

CB radio is more common, athough some folks I know have both on the motorcycles and switch between the two as needed. The radios are not that much different in price. The FRS is likely to physically smaller, i.e., a small hand held, some not much bigger than a cell phone. CB's are a little bigger, under dash mounting, although CB's also come in hand held sizes.

CB is the more common communication radio found on motorcycles, automobiles and trucks.

If you ride with a small tight group, then you may want to go the FRS route. If you do any touring and are interested road reports from trucker or other motorcyclists you probably want to go the CB route.

FRS/GMRS radios and Baehr Intercoms

Greetings--I have a Baehr UltimaLT installed on a K1200LT and recently installed a Baehr Verso XL on a K12RS. The local LT group rides with ICOM IC-F21GM FRS/GMRS combination radios. If you use the GMRS frequencies the FCC requires a license ($80 for 5 years and no tests). But GMRS allows you to use up to 5W to transmit (.5W limit on FRS). Reception up to 1 mile in a pack ride is usually no problem using higher power and GMRS frequencies. The ICOM F21GM can transmit up to 4W but it doesn't have an LCD display so it is hard to program, especially using squelch codes. It is also expensive but once set up with whomever you are riding with they work great. You need the Baehr Y cable with the push to talk and one of the two double plugs they offer. There are other good and (cheaper) choices in FRS/GMRS comb. radios. Midland GXT550 radios are small FRS/GMRS combo hand-helds that will Xmit up to the maximum of 5W on GMRS frequencies. It has an LCD display, uses a double plug connector and very easy to program. However I've had problems with the Midland on my Verso XL. My Verso is an early version and the push to talk button won't trigger the Midland to transmit. A friend has a newer Verso XL and it works fine on his so there seems to be a difference in the electronics on the Baehr priority channels or perhaps it is just a quirk with my Verso and Midland radio. However a number of FRS/GMRS radios with single pin 2.5mm plugs seem to work fine with my unit, e.g. Cobra, Motorola etc. Just use the 2.5mm cable from Baehr. I've ordered the newest Cobra FRS/GMRS radio, i.e. LI 6000 -- a 3W radio that has all the goodies like LCD display, squelch codes, all FRS & GMRS channels, etc. Just becoming available in April. When it arrives I'll try it and try to post results. Cheers...

Chatterbox Radios have the FRS offerings, and are cheaper than the Baehr and Autocom offerings as they are a self contained unit. They also have hand-helds too.

The newer Chatterbox are also available in GMRS, a little more money than FRS, but worth it, IMHO. Like most bike communication systems, the better wind protection you have (windscreen, full face helmet), the more you'll like it, otherwise they pick up wind noise. Check ebay, sometimes you can get lucky.

john1691
K1200RS

jmiles said:
I've ordered the newest Cobra FRS/GMRS radio, i.e. LI 6000 -- a 3W radio that has all the goodies like LCD display, squelch codes, all FRS & GMRS channels, etc. Just becoming available in April. When it arrives I'll try it and try to post results. Cheers...

I just picked up a pair and one of the two refuses to go into standby mode after end of TX or RX... it sits in RX mode stubbornly. It's partner chops off immediately after cessation of tx/rx on the other unit.

Any help? I cant find a single page offering tech support anywhere, and their website is useless.....

Belg said:
I just picked up a pair and one of the two refuses to go into standby mode after end of TX or RX... it sits in RX mode stubbornly. It's partner chops off immediately after cessation of tx/rx on the other unit.

Any help? I cant find a single page offering tech support anywhere, and their website is useless.....

Appears to be working now. Thanks anyhow :=)

Back