I have a NEW 03 K1200GT. Bought it at A&S in Rosville CA. and road it home 80 miles. Called the dealer up and advised them it had a stability problem (wobble) noticed at 50-80, which is as fast as I went that day. That it can be violant and increases with speed. I tested it for a week and it seemed to be related to wind/turbulance. Did not matter if the shield was up or down. I had changed tire pressure and it still happened. I have since then ridden loaded also with and without cruse on. I have adjusted the rear shock from 3-5 loaded. The shop ended up putting Metzlers on it. The Matzlers being the "least" problematic over the original Brigstones. I am 5'10" about 185 dressed to ride. It is not the first bike I have had with a fairing. I have ridden for years and have tried different positions on this bike. I now have 2600 on it and it (after my trip) is again in the hands of the shop.
After the first inspection they have stated:
1) yes there is a problem
2) A new issue for them unkown to GT's and them
3) They contacted BMW and tried what was asked inc different tires but it is still there. Less with the Metz.
4) They have completed papers/forms for an alert on the GT to BMW
5) Their other GT's have deminstrated the same issue. However, they are still selling GT's
(I was advised I could make my trip if I wanted to and return the bike after for further testing, which has been done. BMW stated it was safe for the trip)
So I am back from my trip and hear over the web that a lot of people are having problems with RS & GT's on the issue of "wobbleing". They personally are working on shock,tire, dampening settings and changing parts for aftermarket by themselves. Therefore, I end up wondering if -
1) have any changes you made really cured the problem or just made it less noticable
2) Have you told any shops about the issue
3) Any of you deal with A&S and tell them
4)Why are we dealing with a stability issue on a 18K bike
5) Are there really bikes out there without the issue. Some say yes. Then why are so many dealing with it.
6) has anybody nailed it down any particular thing and solved it
Anything you can add to solve this would be nice. Everytime I read an article on the bike it was good. I even talked to a few editors and they all denied any problems with the bikes they had to test. But stated that they would print anything i could get in writing that deffinately deals with the issue by BMW. So I have no bike and an issue. I am wondering if this can be solved