• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Schuberth C3

L

leesrt

Schuberth C3 (review added)

I know this helmet has been discussed but I'll be receiving mine in 3 days and will be posting a full review with pics. I'm opening this now for those of you that already have this helmet to post any discoveries, opinions, or problems that you may have encountered.

After trying one on and going over all the features I'm really excited about getting this helmet.

I chose to get the external Scala G4 rather than the built in unit because it's easier to control and manipulate and can be moved between helmets. I was also told by the shop I ordered from (revzilla) that the wired mic would be better than the boom mic because the design of the chin pad will catch the boom mic everytime you open the helmet. Once I get it and install everything I'll provide pics and my opinion on how it all works.

Last edited:
Please respond...

I was looking at these yesterday when test riding an RT. Looks like an expensive but great bucket, and I hope some feedback is shared.

I know this helmet has been discussed but I'll be receiving mine in 3 days and will be posting a full review with pics. I'm opening this now for those of you that already have this helmet to post any discoveries, opinions, or problems that you may have encountered.

After trying one on and going over all the features I'm really excited about getting this helmet.

I chose to get the external Scala G4 rather than the built in unit because it's easier to control and manipulate and can be moved between helmets. I was also told by the shop I ordered from (revzilla) that the wired mic would be better than the boom mic because the design of the chin pad will catch the boom mic everytime you open the helmet. Once I get it and install everything I'll provide pics and my opinion on how it all works.
I replaced my C1 with a C3 last year -- very happy with it.

I also went with the external G4 headset (one of a matched pair that I picked up to be able to talk with my newly-MSF-graduated teenager when we are out riding).

I opted to use the boom mic, and have been quite satisfied. I have it go under the helmet edge between the G4 and the joint between the shell and the flip face portion. When I close the face portion, if the cold weather chin piece is in place, I simply hold the rear edge of the chin piece fabric down lightly to make sure it doesn't hang up on the boom -- no problem.

The only issue I have is the boom passes pretty close to the sunvisor lever, so I need to just be careful where I put my finger before I raise the sunvisor -- don't really even think about it anymore (an aside -- even without the G4 in place, the tab on the sunvisor lever is too small! -- requires accurate fingertip palcement on the lever, and the high force required to operate the lever can be painful to the fingertip with thin gloves).

Anyway, I preferred this approach over finding a way to route the wired mic up around/over the face piece pivot point to prevent damage to the wired mic's wires over all the up/down cycles the face piece would go through.

For me, this arrangement is likely moot -- I will be popping for the BMW Bluetooth set-up when I my K16GTL comes in, so all of the G4 bits will be replaced. It's good to have the C3, as that means I should still have the option of external mount if I don't like the Schuberth-style collar-mount unit.

p.s. -- My wife just picked up the women's version of the C3 this past weekend -- the pony-tail relief in the rear padding was apparently the clincher on the deal.

Last edited:
As I've posted in many other threads, the C3 is really a great helmet. You may regret the comm setup though. I actually really like the integrated controls ons the SRC... since the neck roll has the battery and whole system in it, it is far less bulky, and the boom mic and chin guard do not create an issue. The only button on the integrated I ever touch is the volume buttons, but even then its rare as the helmet automatically increases and decreases the volume based on level of ride noise. All phone function can be done hands free, and I personally dont use bike 2 bike at this time.

If you need to be able to move your comm system to other helmets, I guess the G4 is your best non-integrated option. In either case, enjoy the new helmet!

how much

How much will one of these set you back with the integrated communications?

thanks,
gsjay

thanks,
gsjay
At full retal, a stunning amount! IIRC, the U.S. Schuberth distributor has a $699 retail price on the C3, and $399 for the neck roll Bluetooth unit.

I purchased my wife's C3W from my stocking dealer with a 20% club discount ($560). Not cheap, but I rationalized the difference above any other high quality/comfort helmet as a couple bux a month over the life of the helmet to get what she really wanted. The fact that it's one of the quietest helmets out there, and therefore will help preserve our 50+ hearing, made the choice all the easier.

thanks,
gsjay

For U.S. spec, about the cheapest I could find is $1098 to your door (thats helmet and integrated comm.)

I bought mine from Germany before they were available stateside. I paid $825 for helmet and SRC (no tax, $20 shipping included).

I run the risk of Schuberth USA not honoring warranty or helmet issues if they appear, but so far, I dont see that happening. I'm on about 4 months of daily use with no problems seen so far.

Mine is coming from RevZilla and will be here Thursday. Once I'm satisfied it fits my head, I'm taking it over to Tucson for J&M to install their custom C3 headset. I ride too far, too often, to try to keep a bluetooth headset charged and have a slot in the 2011 IBR - which - IMO - takes headset charging daily completely out of the equasion for me. Wired is the only way to go for me.

I'm a fan of J&M's gear and have ridden it for quite a while. I've had a couple bike to helmet patch cords that [I think the plugs wear some] they've replaced free with no problems. The last one my wife took over to them, they tested it and couldn't find anything wrong with it and suggested there may be a problem with the installation on the bike. Since I have two I carry, I noted that the one I'm using now works perfectly and when I switch them out, the one she had there had problems. The tech checking it out simply said, no problem, I can swap it out if you like. The new one arrived yesterday - no charge.

My opinion is J&M is a good company with good products they stand behind. What more can you ask of a company?

I bought the C3Lady version last summer and LOOOOOVE IT!!! I use the Autocom in mine because I ride too far and too often to have something die on me in only 5-6hours! It is a quiet helmet and that inside visor is TO DIE FOR!

Love it!

Hope you enjoy yours as well!

Awesome. Quieter is good. Currently riding a Shoei MultiTech. It's not a bad helmet and not too loud, but it has "some miles" on it and I think it's time it rests a while.

I installed a mini usb cable through my fuse block with a long enough cable that I can charge either my droid or my G4, depending on which needs it more. I usually keep the droid on the usb during a ride and hook it up to the G4 from time to time to top it off on a long ride. I seldom ride more than 3 to 4 hours without takling a break for something to eat and drink.

I installed a mini usb cable through my fuse block with a long enough cable that I can charge either my droid or my G4, depending on which needs it more. I usually keep the droid on the usb during a ride and hook it up to the G4 from time to time to top it off on a long ride. I seldom ride more than 3 to 4 hours without takling a break for something to eat and drink.

This is very interesting! I have not heard of this before.

I keep my phone on the 12 volt batter charger when riding through the BMW plug with an adapter. Then when I get to where we are going I either plug my helmet (G2) into 110 at the motel or if camping, charge it off of the bike with the 12 volt battery charger I have for the G2. Works for me..

I bought a c3 no Bluetooth for $699 tax included at the Daytona BMW dealer during bike week. Saved about 7%. I'm right between the M and L size and was able to try both, the M fit perfectly, same as my Shoei. This helmet is quiet and comfortable, No buffeting even when turned sideways, and I can put it on or remove it without taking my glasses off.

I wish they had the yellow fog pin lock for the shield and maybe some other shades too. But for now clear is it. I do have to double check the latch when I lower the chin bar as it needs a bit of force to lock into place. Overall I am very pleased.

C3

I bought my C3 about a month ago from JC Motors in California as a demo helmet and saved $100. The helmet was a large, white helmet that had been worn for under 200 miles by a writer doing a review for a magazine. It came packaged as new and didn't have a mark on it that I could see, with complete warranty and manual. I too noticed that it is a little more difficult to latch it than my C2 but other than that I love it. I've never had such a light and quiet helmet. Don

I used my new Schuby C3 today so here's my quick review, more details after work.

Let me start by saying I have a $200 helmet that I had to use until I was able to get a good helmet.
The difference between the Schuby and any sub $300 helmet is night and day. The fit & finish, the quality and placement of the padding, the strength and design of common weak points is miles above all the other helmets I looked at.

FIT: At first, the helmet felt a bit tight around the forehead but after a 1 hour ride the padding started to settle and the discomfort changed to a secure comfortable feeling. My other helmet feels like something sitting on your head while the C3 feels like it's attached to your head. I would suggest getting a size on the low end of what you normally wear. I"m on the border of a large/extra large but with the C3 I fit in a large. I would say this is somewhere between a round and modest oval shape.

FINISH: I have the white color and while it is plain the white has a nice luster and gloss. I bumped a few things into it already and it does not scratch easy. My other helmets would scratch if you even though about something hitting it. Everything lines up and feels tight and strong. Even the air duct controls are solid. No corners were cut.

OPERATION: The shield has solid engagement at each level. There is a "city mode" which allows the shield to be barely cracked. The pin lock works great. It was humid and cool (50 degrees) this morning and I could see the outer edges outside the pin lock fogging. Vision is excellent and peripheral view is above average.
The sun visor is easy to to index with thick gloves and you can adjust the height where ever you want it. Most others force you to chose open or close or from their limited detents.
The chin bar will completely seal your chin if you leave the optional noise pad under the chin curtain. This can be removed easily by pulling it off the velcro and still leaves the main chin guard that always stays in place and will allow a bit more air. I'll try it this way on the way home.
The chin strap is great. It's easy to engage once you align it for your size. Once aligned you can still ratchet adjust it with almost an inch of play. The padding under the strap is good and allows you to secure the strap with no gap and still be comfortable. The chin straps also attach to a strap on each side that goes around the side of your head and to the back to keep the helmet from popping off your head during an impact to the rear. Like I said, this helmet feels like its attached to your head.

AIRFLOW: The front chin vent allows a lot of air in to the shield. It has 2 positions open/closed. In the open position you have full flow and there's a bit of air noise. When you close the vent it still allows a small amount of air flow but the noise goes away like an on and off switch. This is one area I wish there was a half open position.
The top vent is excellent. When you open the top vent you immediately feel the air hitting the top of your head and flowing back. You have closed, half open, and full open. In full open it feels like there's a blower on the top of your head, it's that good. In either position I detected no noticeable noise. Both vents are engineered so water will not get in the helmet during rain. The air vents out of the helmet at the rear neck area through vents in the padding. I'll summarize by saying this is the best airflow I've ever felt in a helmet.

NOISE: Very Quiet. The only weak point is the chin vent which produces noticeable wind noise but I think what makes it noticeable is the level of quiet. Your ears are placed in pockets that shelter out most of the noise. I still wore earplugs on the highway but around town they aren't needed. I turned my head in every direction at MPH and felt no drag.

WEIGHT: It's very light. Without getting specific I let the owner of my local shop hold it while it was still in it's carry bag and as soon as he grabbed it he said "holy cow thats light". It's that noticeable.

COMM: I installed my G4 and it was easier than installing the cradle on my other helmet. The C3 has ear cups for the speakers to go in and the whole ear area forms an over the ear headphone effect. I found I could turn the volume down a bit to achieve the same levels as my other helmet. I purchased the wired mic and I'm glad I did. I was able to attach the mic to the front portion of the cheek pad right where the chin guard comes down. This puts the mic about an inch from my mouth and it works perfectly. I can raise and lower the guard with no thoughts about the mic. The included velcro pad is soft and sticks to the outer edge of the pad great. Because it's soft it flexes with the pad and stay put. I used the stick on cradle mount and from prior experience it's more secure and streamlined than the clamp on. That sticky stuff won't come off. There was no wind noise from the external mounted G4.

The helmet bag is higher quality than most other cheap helmets...lol

I'll take pics tonight of the different features.

See above..... ^^^^^

I don't impress easily when it comes to quality helmets - I've worn and promoted them far too many years for a company to show me something that would make me consider them over my Shoei hemlets. I ordered the one I got from Revzilla specifically because of their no BS return policy. If it wasn't all it is cracked up to be, it was heading straight back to them for a full refund.

I am so impressed with the C3 that I just bought a C3W for Oldwhatshername.

Obviously, YMMV - but in my opinion - it won't.

Ok, here's some pics.

Here's a view showing the position of the G4

2011-04-01_14-14-03_599.jpg

From the side

2011-04-01_14-14-23_399.jpg

The position of the wired mic

2011-04-01_14-15-48_61.jpg

More coming

How the mic placement looks with guard down

General front view looking in